HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:10 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,808 Posts
A compilation is the only way to build a generic set of files..

Ian brings up a good point,questioning the accuracy of paper contraction and expansion.

At some point in time,one has to cut material,and begin building..If you spend an inordinate amount of time fussing with 1/8 of an inch,on a 1/4 scale model's wingspan, you may never be satisfied you can build the model.

There must be a tolerance to operate within....Monday's humidity will present a different W/S than Thursday's extremely arid atmosphere.

And if you're that critical, what about building material's reaction to weather? Wood swells and contracts,as well as the paper drawings.

If you build a Piper Cub as well as you can,with the information you have,that's as good as it gets.

How critical do you need to be? A wing rib 'drawing' may show a chord of 60 ",yet measuring it yields 60-5/32" , after covering,taping,and painting.What is accurate now ?

On a 1/4 scale model, that's a pass with sandpaper,from perfect.

Don't work yourself over ! Accept our limitations and build your favorite airplane.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:32 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,519 Posts
Many airfoil ordinates will give the TE point as "0". No such animal except in the mind! Same often occurs at LE, in that sheeting with 1/16 ply or aluminum is not accounted for, simply added on.

However, I think the point is that guessing is reduced to a reasonable minimum.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,808 Posts
After comparing the two parts that I did, and finding I don't need to scrap my airframe, I will continue !

This is the last chance for the "freight train" races- I'm rooting for Danica (my, how things have changed), but King Richard retired,and the Intimidater is gone.

They're giving her fast cars,now....they need to give her tires ! Isn't one lap lost changing tires better than only completing half the race ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,519 Posts
I've given up on Danica. I tried to get excited for her at Daytona,m this year but the cars all look exaclty the same to me and really have no character. I think she should have stuck with open wheel cars.

maybe Nascar races should just consist of smaller fields (less cars) and run only five laps. They could be started from a nominal yellow and a pace car. I would rather see several excitting finishes in two hrs rather than a couple hours of boredom and a single ho-hum finsh.

My brother raced in nascar events thru the 60's and 70's, but those were open wheel Super Modifieds. Last I heard, he was still racing Midgets in Indianna.

Memorial day was sacrosanct at my house, in the 50's thru th 60's. Dad would set out a chair near the garage and sand on an airplane component, or somthing. Radio was THE majic carpet, well into the early 70's when ABC sports finally provided full television coverage.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,808 Posts
I can still hear that Offy's sweet song,as dear as a Merlin.

Switching back to the thread theme, I had my three view drawings enlarged to 1/4 scale, to compare my build with accepted published drawings.

I highly recommend this,as the comparison is immediate and easy-there's no 'scaling'- every thing is where it's supposed to be.

The picture shows the enlarged 3 view at the top, the plans below....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Mar 10, 2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:39 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,519 Posts
What about the scale downthrust? Even the 90AW's (110hp Warner in place of stock 90hp 5 cylinder) seemed to have it. Not sure if 90AL's had it, however
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:09 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,665 Posts
Beauty about so called "inaccuracies" from original design is that you can state "Ah yes but I'm modelling the one manufactured on - day/date/time just after the rainstorm when the humidity was - - - - , also the paint had to be further thinned after they got 2/3rds the way through"

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:15 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,808 Posts
Exactly- You build to your own level of "authenticity" and enjoy it.

I don't compete any more,and I'm not building this airplane for anyone's pleasure,other than mine.

If I had known these methods when I was competing, I may have more awards..

Here's the thing- at some point, you have to start building......Build your model to faithfully replicate the 'evidence' you have..When the model is compared to the drawings you provide,at Judging, it doesn't MATTER if there was a running change in production.

My model will have a 'not-authentic' interior- it's what I would do, if I owned a full size aircraft.It will be representative of the era, but to my tastes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:18 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit View Post
What about the scale downthrust? Even the 90AW's (110hp Warner in place of stock 90hp 5 cylinder) seemed to have it. Not sure if 90AL's had it, however
Both the plans and the 3 views show 2 deg,D.T. That photo misrepresents it with camera lens distortion

I don't discuss the "L" model -what an aberration that is !.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:23 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,808 Posts
An example of things to look for,when building an accurate model..The rear 'quarter'windows in my kit are shown as too long,and too far back, as compared to the 3 views...Close inspection reveals the wing trailing edge to window on the plans as nearly even..The 3 view shows a 4" offset.

That's a glaring difference, easily picked up by anyone,especially a judge.

You have to understand, I made the mistake of building the kit model, then acquiring the documentation..If you're going to build 'dead-on' scale, get all the information you can, before you start.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,808 Posts
Wrong model,but

Quote:
Originally Posted by andria View Post
Has anyone had any experiance with Cleveland Designed Plans? I'm planning a world war 1 project{Rumpler C.4} in 1/6 scale...84''span. It's supposed to be one of their better sets of plans in their gold edition category.
andria-for pure reference only,I'm including a link to the Golden Age Air Museum...they have A Rumpler c.v reproduction from the Movie ,Lawrence of Arabia.
There is a picture...I visit there once in a while,(sometime in March) and I could get photos if that would be of any help.

http://www.goldenageair.org/collecti...umpler_c_v.htm
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,808 Posts
Tom Crump and I had a discussion yesterday concerning enlarging a large amount, and how it works.

For the sake of discussion,let's say you have an 8" x 10" drawing of your intended build.

Most often, copy shops use 36" wide paper, infinitely long....Your first enlargement can be 400%, yielding a copy 32" high., by 40 " long..Next,decide on the size of the model you require...

If it's larger than the 400% print,you'll need to cut the sheet down the center,and multiply the height by an amount that when printed,yields no more than 36" high, the limit of the paper.
Some calculating is needed, to end up with a percentage that equals your needed dimension.

A print the same size as your model shows exactly where and how large, details go on the finished model.
Building plans are done exactly the same way.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Mar 28, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:50 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,561 Posts
Earl; I contacted Hemi, as you suggested. He is willing to help.

We'll see what he comes up with.

If everything pans out, I will start a thread on how I go about designing, and then building a scale model.

I haven't done this before, so it will be a learning experience.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:11 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,808 Posts
Yep-would like to follow along...Three Views give you an accurate (enough) outline, insuring the model will end up looking like the Full Scale plane.

The bonus here, is you get to use your favorite construction methods,resulting in a fun, comfortable build.

3 views allow you to fill in between the lines, and ensures an accurate shape.

You always need the option to 'step-back' though-you can get caught up in the "accuracy" aspect, and feel you are overwhelmed, or frustrated.Always -ALWAYS build to your level of ability....and have fun..
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:27 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,561 Posts
I gave up on "scale" models a long time ago. LOL I've been an advocate of the "Close Enough" school for a long time.

I wanted to pic something "easy", with enough dodads to add interest. The airframe that I've chosen resembles a trainer, at least to me. Simple box construction, should work for the fuseage. A few formers and stringer will provide shape.

The scale airfoil is flat bottomed, just like a trainer.

The "dodads" include a somewhat complicated landing gear, and a protruding radial engine.

For me, the hardest part will be the design of the landing gear. I feel the other problems will be manageable.

I have already enlisted the help of friends, such as Earl, Don Olsen, and Glenn McIntosh. These outstanding modelers have offered advice and assistance.

Where would we be without our friends ?

Here are the 3 views that I plan to work from, and a couple pics of the full size aircraft.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump