HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:35 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
I thought I would post about my latest project here in case maybe there might be a few who might be intersted in my misadventures. It has been one of those two step forward one step back adventures. But then, I'm in no hurry. I'm just doing this to have a project to work on and get experience with a flybar which none of my helicopters have except the Blade mSR.

I bought a Align Trex PRO kit less electronics for $170. I thought that was a pretty good deal until I saw one for sale for $130 less cyclic servos. I had the 410MG cyclic servos, GP780 gyro, and Align ESC. All I had to do is buy a 420 rudder servo, motor, and receiver (2801).

Well, I have it pretty much assembled to the point of trying to figure out how to run the wires, where to put the receiver, ESC, and gyro. Of course, nothing goes exactly where I want it to - yet. This kit has a rudder servo board the servo mounts in - not on the tail. That hoggs way too much space so I decided to mount the rudder servo to the tail so I can put the gyro where the rudder servo goes. The receiver will go under that and hopefully I can mount the ESC on the bottom. The manual makes a big deal about separating the ESC and receiver but one of the manuals I looked at showed this exact configuration. We will see.

I have had about three waves of orders to get stuff that was missing. Of course, I had to order receiver, rudder servo, moter, 15 tooth pinion (w/set screw), metal bottom plate, and screw set. That's pretty much all the major items.

After I got servos installed and ready to go, I realized I didn't have any servo arms/horns. That was the second wave of orders. Of course, I had to order several non-essential items too.

I probably would have been ok if I had left the tail blade grips alone but couldn't stand not inspecting them. Well, of all the screws that were partially installed as though to beg for inspection and thread lock, the blade grip screws were the only ones very securely GLUED. I had to tear up both blade grips and break the head off one of the screws in order to disassemble the tail assembly - not good! Thus, the third wave of orders this weekend. My goal is to try to do something to get the slop out of the tail blade grips and mount the rudder servo on the tail boom. Then there are the half dozen lesser items.

I made a discovery about the RX-2801 receiver. I had a choice of either disassembling one side of the heli so I could slide the receiver in place and do this every time the receiver neded to come out (not!) - OR - move the side antenna of the receiver to the back. There is a hole in the back of the receiver to accomodate this. To my surprise, although I really shouldn't have been surprized but I was anyway. To my surprise, there are TWO independent receivers in the 2801. Each antenna goes to a receiver. Since this is a "diverse communications" receiver, I am assuming there is some sort of voter circuit which ties the both of them together. Very sophisticated little gadget!

Anyway, that's all the damage I can do for now.

Thanks for reading. 'Till next time - Roger, over and out!

Actually, to me it sounds like your 2801-pro RX is broken and missing an antenna. There should already be TWO antenna's on it. One coming out of the back, and one coming out of the side. Otherwise you are only using one receiver to it's potential... The RX will function like this, on a 250 it's MUCH less a big deal. But on a big heli this could cause major shadowing and loss of signal, also known as "lock out". Walkera is actually pretty sensitive to this and i honestly believe that our comparable buddy, the 2702V, is the most sensitive. I think it's absolutely impairitive that you keep the antenna's perfectly straight out as possible and at 90 from each other. On the 250, you should be fine with only one antenna, but keep it straight out, maybe even straight UP or to the sides.

In short, any TX/ RX system has an antenna right? Well you might notice some people at the RC fields pointing their TX antenna straight out at the field... THIS IS INCORRECT!!! It should be pointed to the left or right! even straight UP, but directly left or right is proper. UP, runs the risk of pointing at the aircraft while it's above you, or in the general space above you, for some reason. The reason for pointing to the side is that an antenna picks up or transmits it's waves the strongest from the SIDE, not the TIP. Pointing the tip at your heli / plane is like asking for a lock out. Now, it's not entirely likely that you will experience loss of signal if both tips point at each other. But in a bigger helicopter with CF to "shadow" the signal, instead of reflect it, it blocks it, because CF is conductive. So to fight that, they often use two antenna's and put them at 90. So at no particular time when the craft is moving, will there ever be a tip of an antenna pointed toward the user, without a side also pointed at the user, and it will increase the receptive abilities though CF also.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jan 28, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:36 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,134 Posts
V120D05 airframe
Stock ESC, using motor pins to connect, not soldered.
3 Axis Walkera 2622V (2801-pro version from D02S)
HP08-S, 16,500kv motor.
Custom fit & upgraded rotor head, main & feathering shaft from D02S
KDBB 130X main blades
Turnigy 0.95 Ah, 25C batteries

V120D05CS08 - 3D stress test with Turnigy packs #1 (7 min 21 sec)

V120D05CS08 - 3D stress test with Turnigy packs #2 (6 min 43 sec)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:59 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Actually, to me it sounds like your 2801-pro RX is broken and missing an antenna. There should already be TWO antenna's on it. One coming out of the back, and one coming out of the side.
Well, you're right, there are two antennas. What I was trying to explain and probably didn't do too well is that I would either have to disassemble one side of the heli to remove the receiver with the side antenna - OR - move the side antenna to the back so the receiver would slide in and out which is what I did. I didn't think it would make a huge difference on a heli this small to have the two antennas side by side.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:43 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
I was able to mount my 2801rx inside my 450pro frame. And was able to get a c ice 50 under the battery tray, and mounted the beastx up on the gyro mount. I can post picks if you want. It all fits nice and i can access all my rx plugs at the side of the frame. I drilled a whole in the bottom frame for one of the attenas, and the other bends to stick out of the side of the frame. Its a pretty neat layout with all the wires tied to the frame.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:58 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,134 Posts
This thing is starting to get good. Thats all i can say. Once i get a beastX in it, it might be scary what it can do! Right now it feels a little sloppy. But, it was blowing 15 mph with gusts up to 25. So... This was the best flight of the day on this heli. I flew about 12 packs though it total while tuning the TX and gyro settings. I have to say, with these very impressive servos. Even the 2618V stabilizes pretty good.

I wasted most of yesterday, the nice day outside, driving to the LHS, picking up my Phoenix 35 ESC. Preping & Installing it, and eventually crashing, rebuilding, and then successfully flying it @ home. I think i can honestly say this though. Unequivocally, my 4f200 has better power to mass ratio than any of my helicopters now. I really need to gear it back some on the HS too. It's basically got a half stack 450 motor in it running the show! It's a gas guzzler too! (3.5m flights with 1 Ah 3S pack) It can seriously rip now though! Getting near 5k RPM it screams too! The MKS servos have plenty of torque to really throw the cyclic on that 3 blade rotor! It's a crazy little power house with great servos and the 2618V. But, it still was flying pretty nice today in the wind. I can't wait to get a BeastX or something in it! Today i put one of the really big, heavy 2200 mAh packs from my 450 on the nose and hovered it. It lifted off like the weight wasn't even there. I don't think it will fit under the canopy though.... CG is WAY, WAY off too, lol. It's starting to look like if i can squeeze a 1400 mAh pack up front, i can afford to add some metal gear weight to the tail servo now. Maybe i will do that anyway.

I have to work the rest of the week. So i don't know if i'll get to fly. I might have to bring the 4f200 and v120 with me in the trunk and try and stop somewhere before or after work, or something. Wish it wasn't so windy today mostly. Hard core 15-25 mph winds are no fun, but good experience i guess.

The best flight on the 4f200-Pro today.

4F200 modified airframe & 3 blade main and tail rotors.
MKS DS470 Cyclic servos
Castle Creations Phoenix 35 ESC.
3S, 4200kv Turbo Ace 342 motor.
Turnigy Nano 1000 mAh, 45C pack.
Trex 250, plastic 200mm blades, 42mm tail blades.
Trex 250 landing skids, custom fit.
Still sporting the 2618V Rx/gyro, for now on 2801-pro. BeastX will be next.

4F200-Pro - Finally some decent 3D,15-25mph winds too! (4 min 35 sec)

I did however have a total shutdown "lock out". I want to blame the CC Phoenix 35... But it's probably the 2618V, IMO, TBH. The flight above was one of the last flights of the day. This next one is previous, i fixed the thing and kept flying!

4f200 - CC 35, MKS DS470, motor cut, crash! (3 min 35 sec)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:13 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
Here is one pic. I tried to upload 6 but i'm still working with this iphone. I guess i'll have to load them one at a time for now, but this pic shows the rx inside the frame with all plugs sticking out of the side. You can also see where i drilled a hole in the bottom frame for one of the attenas which is protected with heat shrink.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:16 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
This is the bottom view
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:20 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
This shows the esc under the battery tray
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:23 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,699 Posts
Showing zip ties for esc, rx, and general wire runs
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:55 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,426 Posts
Nice work! Of course, I have almost zero clearance on almost everything on the trex 250 build. It is a nice little challenge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:49 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
That chopper room sounds great! If I could get my wife to let me ditch the single sofa bed in the middle bed room and buy a "wall bed" for about a grand, I could move all my heli stuff in there - would be great! Maybe some day.

It's kind of difficult to know what the market is going to do lately. I sold WY last month for $29 mainly because I've been watching it for a year ($24.60) waiting for it to get to a price I could sell it for. It was at $31.5 last week and $30 today. Only if I were just a little more patient - LOL.
U should just take over that spare bedroom u got! That's what i did in my old house, i pushed the bed against the wall and stuck a table in there. To get the ok from my wife, i got a fold up table (or two..) and told her if people came over to visit i could always just fold the tables up and move the bed back. That seemed to do the trick

I hear ya with the market, i'm sure netfilx will be double the price again now that i sold it... That's what happened with my Visa stock after i sold it a while back... guess it's better to make money than lose it though! Ford has been treating me well, got it after it tanked a while back, and I bought Pandora and plan to hold onto it for a few years, i got high hopes on that one as the next major advancement in radios. Sometimes i pick stocks well, but it seems that unfortunately usually the way i play the market, is buy high and sell low

Anybody know any good up and coming rc heli stocks? That's surely a market that is taking off (pun intended )

Kdean, i like the new build, looking pretty clean there with everything tucked away!

Also Integrity, watched your vids, nice flying!! I like the little three blade heli, but the parts are probably a bit too small for me, i get frustrated with those tiny screws pretty quick....
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:40 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
I hear ya with the market, i'm sure netfilx will be double the price again now that i sold it... That's what happened with my Visa stock after i sold it a while back... guess it's better to make money than lose it though! Ford has been treating me well, got it after it tanked a while back, and I bought Pandora and plan to hold onto it for a few years, i got high hopes on that one as the next major advancement in radios. Sometimes i pick stocks well, but it seems that unfortunately usually the way i play the market, is buy high and sell low
You might want to check out options trading if you haven't already.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:14 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,134 Posts
I was poking around.... Doing some research.. Check these out, CP/3D quads:

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/Z62w48OMr*UqE8iTziPj7uEYiiZpIn0XdRKSYDN5w9y44LgVFz 3sb9b7NR0rNqEmqG0tcVzUAUdUocJuTmse8Q__/20120826_183238.jpg[/IMG]

It wouldn't let me link the pictures. So you have to click.

LOL, i'm pretty sure that's a CD/DVD spindle case around the electronics

Okay, then i found this guy who was testing his own collective/variable pitch quad too... Not too exciting:

HG3-Flight-Test.mov.flv (2 min 53 sec)

OKAY, Now the main attraction.... Not released yet, but this is from the Curtis Youngblood web site: PS, SOOOO GETTING ONE!! This is what i have been waiting to get into quads for!! Without collective pitch, it's just a novelty to me.

Curtis Youngblood 3D Quad Night Flight (1 min 46 sec)

GoPro HERO3 captures 3D quadcopter flights FPV (2 min 51 sec)

GoPro HERO3 Black Edition films world's first 3D quad (quadcopter) (1 min 6 sec)

Always in motion is the future. - Yoda

LOVE IT!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:18 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,975 Posts
Hi guys, just want to let you all know I finally got my 450 pro back up and running. I posted a couple of pics in my blog. Now day, the heli is almost entirely an align trex, with the exception of the electronics, of course.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:45 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Hi guys, just want to let you all know I finally got my 450 pro back up and running. I posted a couple of pics in my blog. Now day, the heli is almost entirely an align trex, with the exception of the electronics, of course.
Sweet ride. Don't scratch her.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro