HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Mar 2006
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftyRC View Post
Metalguy, hopefully your Mig will have no thrust issues like mine. Stays level when I throttle up. I'm still on 2S which is fine for the ovals where I fly. The 2 mods I have made are:
1. Replaced the JST battery connector, as it was getting very hot. Probably not able to keep up with the current needed.
2. I cut some cheater holes for more thrust. Now can do loops with just 2S
Hi there!

Any chance you can make some pics of how and where you did the cheater holes? I am getting mine tomorrow, and very interested in your experiences between 2S and 3S.

Cheers,
Martin
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
Are you building an army over there ?
Truth is, I have at least 40 EDF jets in service at any point in time, I have half a dozen R&D projects in the hanger that need power systems.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
The mailman just showed up with a little box from china!!!

Im sure its buried in this thread somewhere, but a few of you guys have had great results with the little hawk, and I have a new parts airframe to work with as of today. What are the must do mods on this little guy? I already have the electronics for a 3s setup, Im just wondering about thrust tube, equipment mounting options, the correct cg and so forth. Oh, and has anyone changed the massive amount of + incidence the horizontal stabs appear to want to mount up at? It was the 1st thing that caught my eye, as I doubt it will fly right with all that. I also have yet to order any packs for it, so pack size/weight info will help as well. ( I use Hyperion or TP packs so I will find one of those with close dimentions. )

Thanks,
Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
The mailman just showed up with a little box from china!!!

Im sure its buried in this thread somewhere, but a few of you guys have had great results with the little hawk, and I have a new parts airframe to work with as of today. What are the must do mods on this little guy? I already have the electronics for a 3s setup, Im just wondering about thrust tube, equipment mounting options, the correct cg and so forth. Oh, and has anyone changed the massive amount of + incidence the horizontal stabs appear to want to mount up at? It was the 1st thing that caught my eye, as I doubt it will fly right with all that. I also have yet to order any packs for it, so pack size/weight info will help as well. ( I use Hyperion or TP packs so I will find one of those with close dimentions. )

Thanks,
Mendo
Your going to love it 3s is a ton of fun on this plane. The only mod I did was move the shroud back a fair bit, reduce the incidence on the horizontal stabs to zero, and a 10 amp esc. Other than that I just flew the heck out of it. Check out 'nitrocharged' posts in this thread for some pretty awesome mods to this particular plane. Not sure of the exact dimensions but I was able to comfortably fit a 460mah 3s nanotech in the nose after removing a small amount of foam from the canopy. Flew fantastic!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
I know many feel this is the best flying airframe out of the series, and thats why I picked one up. I just want to get the right weight and cg and so on...

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:56 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,837 Posts
This week I got three flights in with the MiG 29. I had the CG too far back, but noticed no thrust line issues with mine. Full throttle, less throttle, no pitch up, or down. Because of the aft CG, it of course flew more stable on throttle than off, but I think I will like this one after a bit of flight trimming to get it dialed in, and of course, a proper CG, too. I just threw a 500 mAh battery in, and flew it, which was a dumb thing to do, but I wanted to fly this thing! I had nothing but trouble with my Saber though, as the fan came loose, and just didn't wanna stay. I found out the "nut" was stripped, so my flying it was over that day. I converted it to 3s, using a 10 amp esc, but haven't gotten to fly it yet! Once the kids leave the fields today, I may get to do some flying. Its perfect WX for flying, too...------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:38 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,837 Posts
Flew the MiG 29 and the saber again today. The MiG has no thrust line issues. So...either they fixed the problem, or mine was not mis-aligned, because it flies straight regardless of throttle setting. I'm liking it! My poor saber didn't fare as well...it seems my aileron servo has bit the dust, and it caused the little guy to also bite the dust! Not permanently, just needs a little TLC. and a servo... I have yet to fly it on 3s, although I just converted it. I wanted to fly it today on 2s, then put a 3s in and see the difference, but Mr. servo decided otherwise. Crap. Good thing I have a couple of tiny servos that I had ordered for another project! I'll just swap it out! ------Metalguy
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:33 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,837 Posts
The MiG 29 had some bad luck recently. The panel that covers the esc's opened in the front in flight, and it performed an outside loop! So...you may want to check that it is secure before flying....No damage to the MiG, just a weird landing. -------Metalguy
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Jun 2009
405 Posts
I bought a MIG-15 second hand, like new, modded for 3s battery.
I'd like to install wheels on it.

Did anybody install wheels on any models of this series ?
Photos would be much appreciated.
flylowfast is offline Find More Posts by flylowfast
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:28 AM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Hi,
I tried to fit a landing gear of a parkzone ultra micro T-28 on my hawk. The weight was not too much but at the time my setup was 2S. Maybe enough power for take of but the hawk was unsteerable (missing steerable nose wheel) and endet always on the edge of the next corn field. It was not possible to stay on the runway long enough. Never tried the gears on my 3s setup. But also with 3s the problem of the missing steerable nose wheel exists. If your "runway" is a parking place it's easier....In case you'll be successfully please report
warbird_one is online now Find More Posts by warbird_one
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:00 AM
Joined Jun 2009
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_one View Post
Hi,
I tried to fit a landing gear of a parkzone ultra micro T-28 on my hawk. The weight was not too much but at the time my setup was 2S. Maybe enough power for take of but the hawk was unsteerable (missing steerable nose wheel) and endet always on the edge of the next corn field. It was not possible to stay on the runway long enough. Never tried the gears on my 3s setup. But also with 3s the problem of the missing steerable nose wheel exists. If your "runway" is a parking place it's easier....In case you'll be successfully please report
Thanks for the reply.
Can you post some pictures ? They could give me an idea of how to do it.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:21 AM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
I can post pictures but you have to be patient. First problem, the gears are in my first domicile. Because of my job I'm till friday in my second domicile...
Second problem, I removed the gears from the hawk after the abortive trials.But I can explain how I did it. I glued the gear attachments from the main gears next to the servos of my hawk. Next step was cutting a small gap into the nose where I stucked the nose wheels with including gear attachment in. That's it. The gears were easy to remove and strong enough to bear the weight of the jet....
Now I'm curious if the takeoff will work with 3s. When I'm back at home on friday I will try and post pictures or a video....
warbird_one is online now Find More Posts by warbird_one
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:07 AM
Joined Jun 2009
405 Posts
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:15 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Got my Mig-15 together, I had purchased the parts and of course there is no seperate mig-15 canopy to be found anywhere. I happen to try the canopy from a Cox micro P-47 and with a little modification it fits pretty good.

Took the maiden flight this morning, it flew right out and performed pretty good for about 20 seconds. It was then that the motor started making a horrible noise and locked up. I just happened to be near my landing zone and plopped down on the grass with no damage. Evidently the used motor I just got on here was junk, the magnets came loose and now the bell and shaft are deformed. Scratch that one, lesson learned... I'm only going to buy new replacements from Hobbyb from now on. At least the Mig-15 performed just as I expected, it handled the same as the larger 50mm version.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Last edited by Joe 1320; Sep 28, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:35 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,837 Posts
Got in a couple of flights with the Mig-29 yesterday. Just for grins, I wanted to do some video on-board with a keychain cam. I velcroed it to the canopy, and it flew really well for the extra weight! But, alas, I turned it off when I thought I was turning it on, and recording. It was getting into evening anyway, so the footage would have probably been pretty sketchy. I'll do it agin, though! --------Metalguy