Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Age suspicion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I tried it once.

]
Ha.... The big guy in the video is your son. Right?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:07 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric8 View Post
Yes, it was very easy. I'm used to working with gyro's for helis, but this was my 1st time setting it up for use on a plane. With my TX set to plane mode for the bixler, I used the same switch for the gyro that is used when on heli mode (aux2), but the TX treats the way you set it differently. In heli mode, it's configured as a gain value.

Anything above 50% is heading hold mode, and anything below 50% is rate mode. 50% means the gyro is essentially off. For my heli's, I set it to 65% and 35% respectively (+ and - 15 from 50). But that's not available in plane mode, but I found that setting the travel end point is its equivalent.

So by setting the travel end point to 65% when the aux2 switch is in position 1, that's equivalent to 35% gain on the gyro in rate mode if the TX was in heli mode. I then set the travel end point to 65% when the switch is in position 0, that's equivalent to 65% gain on the gyro in heading hold mode if the TX was in heli mode. So I can flip the aux 2 switch to position 0 or 1, to switch between set values for rate mode and heading hold mode.

Hope that explanation doesn't make it seem harder to setup than it sounds, because it really wasn't.
It's way confusing for me.
I don't know anything about setting end points. Don't even know where that's at on the Tx (DX6i and DX7)
So you set 0 and 1 to 65% ???
I'm assuming there's no gyro OFF ?
So you could set Aux2 0 to 50% to equal OFF since no one really needs heading hold mode?

And are you saying you can't use the knobs on the gyro at all?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Jun 04, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
331 Posts
ESC vs Motor

Well, I replaced what I thought was a faulty ESC. I had a 30A from another plane that I put into the Bixler and it kept getting smoking hot. My first step was to check that the motor was not rubbing on the foam. I did not take the fuse in half to check, I just looked along the sides of the motor. After clearing some foam, I flew it and the ESC still got hot. I ordered another 30A esc and just put it in. In just a few minutes of running the motor on the bench, it also is getting hot. I think the chances of 2 ESC bieng bad are slim. What's next? Is it likely to be the motor? The check for this would be what? Using a wattmeter? What should I expect the stock motor for the Bixler to draw?
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
Well, I replaced what I thought was a faulty ESC. I had a 30A from another plane that I put into the Bixler and it kept getting smoking hot. My first step was to check that the motor was not rubbing on the foam. I did not take the fuse in half to check, I just looked along the sides of the motor. After clearing some foam, I flew it and the ESC still got hot. I ordered another 30A esc and just put it in. In just a few minutes of running the motor on the bench, it also is getting hot. I think the chances of 2 ESC bieng bad are slim. What's next? Is it likely to be the motor? The check for this would be what? Using a wattmeter? What should I expect the stock motor for the Bixler though draw?
All esc's get hot running on the bench with no air to cool it. Avoid running any power set on the bench for more than a few seconds without supplemental cooling.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:11 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to check the thrust of the motor as well as amp draw, the stock motor should not be pulling any more then about 17 amps give or take.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:15 PM View Post
Ole Joe
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while Ole Joe edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
[QUOTE=Ole Joe;21799697][QUOTE=ajbaker;21794653]. The BEC is what usually causes the heat build up because the resistors inside the package (BEC+ESC) are used to drop the ~12v to ~5v for servo use.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For someone who claims to have an EE degree and has taught basic and advanced electronics for over 15 years, the above statement must be a joke on your part, right?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Even then, those resistors (inside the package - you cannot see them without taking off the cover) will still get hot just sitting there. The easy solution for this is to use switching ESC (actually, the BEC portion). Your stock BEC (inside the ESC) is called a linear BEC - hence the resistor(s) for a voltage drop. The switching BEC does not use resistor(s) to drop the voltage. I know, this is getting too technobabbly. I apologize. Forget all that crap above.
Oh yes, it is definitely getting to be too "technobabbly" because it's pure nonsense on your part as to how the BEC portion of an ESC operates. I would suggest to you, that if your going to answer a post, at least have a working knowledge of the subject being discussed. Linear and Switching regulators should have been covered in the basic electronics classes you taught for 15 years, were you asleep?
Your slamming him with no counter-info on why you are slamming him... If you think his info on how BECs, ESCs, and heat work, why do you not offer up your explanation?
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:52 PM View Post
Ole Joe
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while Ole Joe edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I did look it up and a linear bec uses a voltage regulator along with caps to clean up EMI.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Oct 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I did look it up and a linear bec uses a voltage regulator along with caps to clean up EMI.
Wouldn't you think that someone with a EE degree and 15 years teaching both basic and advanced electronics would have known that? A simple ESC with a linear BEC rated for 2 amps would have to dissapate 14 watts (12V - 7V X 2 Amps) if four servos that drew .5 amps each were all activated at once. The linear regulator/s would work OK for a short period of time while dissapating that kind of power. Can you imagine the size of a resistor that would dissapate that kind of power while NOT providing any voltage regulation to the receiver or servos?
Ole Joe is offline Find More Posts by Ole Joe
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:17 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Go to post 8 of the below thread it explains how linear Becs use a "series resistor" to step down he voltage.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1537430
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jun 04, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:24 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Read the content of this ONLY if you have trouble sleeping.

Prof100 described it much simpler than I did.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 04, 2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: remove unnecessary pic
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Oct 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Go to post 8 of the below thread it explains how linear Becs use a "series resistor" to step down voltage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...illed-car.html
The only thing I find at that link are pictures and videos of a guy flying his dead cat! I see no other posts on that page. Sure you got the correct URL?

The headlines of the article read as;

Cats away! Artist turns his dead pet into flying helicopter after it is killed by a car

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1wrGCHVx3
Ole Joe is offline Find More Posts by Ole Joe
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:27 PM
wottree
United Kingdom, England, Exeter
Joined Nov 2011
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole joe View Post
wouldn't you think that someone with a ee degree and 15 years teaching both basic and advanced electronics would have known that? A simple esc with a linear bec rated for 2 amps would have to dissapate 14 watts (12v - 7v x 2 amps) if four servos that drew .5 amps each were all activated at once. The linear regulator/s would work ok for a short period of time while dissapating that kind of power. Can you imagine the size of a resistor that would dissapate that kind of power while not providing any voltage regulation to the receiver or servos?
twta!
ands is offline Find More Posts by ands
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:30 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Joe View Post
The only thing I find at that link are pictures and videos of a guy flying his dead cat! I see no other posts on that page. Sure you got the correct URL?

The headlines of the article read as;

Cats away! Artist turns his dead pet into flying helicopter after it is killed by a car

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1wrGCHVx3
Oops, it must be my iPad or it's operator. Here is the correct link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1537430
RCG Plus Member