Old Apr 25, 2015, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by Dr.Knot
United Kingdom, England, Epsom
Joined Jul 2014
44 Posts
Help!
Gimbal Motors!!

Any help at all would be helpful!

So I have been wanting to make a 3 axis gimbal for a while for a larger camera for more professional applications. I am fine with making my own frame out of aluminium and other light weight materials, and so I can make it custom aswell.

The problem I ran into was motor choice, I couldn't find any info about what motor size to use. The camera and lens would weight between 500g and 700g, and a bit extra for the frame.

So what motor size do I get? Also, what are good quality motors? I assume the z axis motor had to be really good to hold all that weight.
Second is controllers, I see a lot of people mentioning alexmos controllers, but I've been looking at storm32 controllers for 20 which sound and look like they do what I want, with 2 IMU's. I assume also the boards can run these motors without external escs.
I've got a gimbal and have tuned it etc, using Basecam on one and storm32 on another.

This is not going on a multicopter, just handheld for now. Looking to keep the budget below 150 if possible, excluding materials.

tl:dr

700g camera + frame. What motors?
What controller?

Thank you.
Dr.Knot is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Knot
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2015, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by chrisbarth
United States, MD, Huntingtown
Joined Oct 2006
203 Posts
Yes those controllers would run this fine. Even though they are brushless motors and are identical most are wound different with a different resistance than a motor used for propulsion so ESC's aren't used for gimbals. Plus ESC's probably aren't able to be switched fast enough. I've seen some of the larger 80mm size gimbal motors are dual use and are able to be used to drive big props"think 22"-28" props" because of the kv being low.

Since its handheld and weight isn't as critical I would go for something like this. http://rctimer.com/product-960.html Plus it would give you a little more power than necessary which is good.
chrisbarth is offline Find More Posts by chrisbarth
Last edited by chrisbarth; Apr 25, 2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 04:40 PM
Joined Jul 2014
44 Posts
Great! Those were the motors i was looking at, those and the 5010s.

Is a larger motor needed for the 3rd axis? As it is holding the whole weight of the camera and the gimbal from itself, i thought it might need more torque.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by chrisbarth
United States, MD, Huntingtown
Joined Oct 2006
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Knot View Post
Great! Those were the motors i was looking at, those and the 5010s.

Is a larger motor needed for the 3rd axis? As it is holding the whole weight of the camera and the gimbal from itself, i thought it might need more torque.
I would say you would be fine with the 5010. Thats what I use for my Sony nex gimbals 3rd axis, and its more than enough. Don't know what cam you want to use.
chrisbarth is offline Find More Posts by chrisbarth
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:30 AM
Joined Jul 2014
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbarth View Post
I would say you would be fine with the 5010. Thats what I use for my Sony nex gimbals 3rd axis, and its more than enough. Don't know what cam you want to use.
I want to set it up for a few, for me and my friends cam, mine is a d5300, his a 100d, with af prime lenses.

Thanks for the help.