HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:49 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,627 Posts
yeah! im always astonished every time I peek into this thread to look at the artists work! I wish I had 1/10th of j's talents! all I got done in all this time, was that foamy bronco a few pages back! Damn inspiring!!!
gchrisgo34 is online now Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:26 AM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
yeah! im always astonished every time I peek into this thread to look at the artists work! I wish I had 1/10th of j's talents! all I got done in all this time, was that foamy bronco a few pages back! Damn inspiring!!!
Exactly my thought. Always amazing work.

John
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:30 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,619 Posts
Thanks guys but sometimes I bite off a bit too much. But we're making progress.
Ailerons shaped and hinged, just need end caps.
All the control surfaces done EXCEPT the flaps and dive brakes. Will start on them today.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:53 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,598 Posts
With exception of my wife, that is the sexiest tail I've ever seen.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:54 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
MAYBE THIS IS YOUR INSPIRATION TO GET WORKING ON YOUR HELLDIVER WILLSONMAN LOL

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:57 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,598 Posts
LOL, I know right? Its terrible that I've procrastinated this long.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:55 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,619 Posts
That's a great idea, you should get started WM.

The push is on. Working on both at the same time. I have the stab cleaned up a bit on the Beast and the cowl cleaned up too with panel lines. The cowl had a lot of pinholes and many chips. Looks like the mold must be getting old. Still have some chip problems in the grill on the top of the cowl, will take some serious tedious work to fix them.
On the TBD, the stab is glued on and elevators hinged. Made a motor mount and installed a KDA 2220L motor, about a 250 watt motor with a 10x7 APC Slo-Fly prop. This plane shouldn't need that much power though.
And some pics to show John my color scheme for the Devastator. I have decals coming from Callie for the TBD. Not sure I can make the stars lay over the panel lines. If not, I'll have to paint those I guess.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 04:22 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
370 Posts
With a little withering could you make the grill on the cowl look a bit dinged up form where (scale dinged up)??
Looking real good J
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Old Mar 12, 2014, 04:28 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
LOOKS GREAT J.... This is the most WOOD I've ever seen you use.
You must have a very powerful motor for this aircraft?

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Mar 12, 2014, 06:59 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,162 Posts
That looks absolutely fantastic BG J !

Classic pre-war colors, easy to see in the sky ! Those sky blue, low-vis paint schemes the Navy went to are VERY effective and can get kinda tricky to see depending on what time of day you're flying....the Wildcat can disappear on you if you're not careful !

This TBD should really "pop" out there...BTW, I see you dug up some pictures of the old Monogram model...very cool !

Depending on her AUW when she's done, that motor/prop combo oughta be more than enough to pull her around in a scale-like fashion...the TBD had generous wings, and yours should cruise around very easily

John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:00 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,619 Posts
Thanks Pinky,
I'll probably just apply bondo with a toothpick to the chips in the grill. Hate to have everything else smooth and it all chipped up.

You're right Bruce. I've used quite a bit of wood in this build. To be honest, I've enjoyed working with the balsa. I've built so many balsa kits in the past and it's just like riding a bicycle you know.
I don't have a motor selected yet. Want to wait until I get a real close idea of AUW weight. Shouldn't be much longer before I can balance it and see what I need up front. I'm hoping with the short tail and longish nose of the Helldiver that it may balance a little easier than something like a Hellcat.

Yes John, the sky blue and even the dark sea blue I really struggle with on orientation. And the older I get, the worse it gets. This scheme on the TBD should be a much easier one to see.
I bought a Monogram kit off ebay right before I started the build. Helps tremendously when building off a 3 view.

Dummy motor came by Fedex late today. I went with the Frank Tiano one. It's nicely done and heavy too. I'll need the weight up front. It is a good starting point, takes some work to detail it though.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:13 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,044 Posts
did a goggle serch on the TBD ,found a vid on youtube .....from the vid i'd say there were'nt too many left after the cadets got a hold of them . pretty cool plane though ,looked to be well built .could take a bit of a beating .
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:44 PM
Joined Mar 2014
5 Posts
Tbd

Just registered for RCG and walked into this build. What a great project! you are one talented modeler. Love this big bird and your little TBD. Always wanted to build a TBD, ever since my dad took me and my brother to see the movie " Midway" when we were kids. Just got a set of Dick Katzs 81" WS TBD I want to start by the end of summer. It's going to be my first serious scale project. This thread has given me the"BUG" to start it tomm. Great piece of work!!
jim
ss charr is offline Find More Posts by ss charr
Old Mar 13, 2014, 04:53 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
OK, now I'm starting to get a little worried about you WM.

That's right AS, I think only about 130 were built. Everyone knows that 15 planes of VT-8 were lost but all together 41 TBDs took off against the Japs at Midway, only 6 returned.
We had the "new" TBF there too in limited numbers and they really didn't fare much better. The SBD was the star of the show. The Dauntless was such a well designed and flying aircraft that many were still flying at the end of the war.

Jim,
Welcome to RCG. Glad you are enjoying the build. 81" ws Devastator? That would be a nice size. I would like to watch your build if you do a thread on it.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:02 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,794 Posts
Looking great John… You are definitely the Yoda master of scale building. Come to think of it. I do see some resemblance… smile
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer