Old Apr 08, 2015, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
726 Posts
Discussion
Tower Discontinues 25LA-S and 46LA-S

Yesterday after hearing the news on Stunt Hangar for the 25LA-S was also surprised to see the OS Max 46LA-S discontinued, too. Their Super Tigre CL engines still show, but they have been on "Order Pending" status for a very long time. They still sell the Nobler and Flite Streak ARF's, but not sure how long that wil continue.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2015, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by Bob Jablonski
Joined Mar 2015
61 Posts
That makes me glad I asked K&B if they can modify there .28 sportster into CL.
awaiting reply from them.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com
Bob Jablonski is offline Find More Posts by Bob Jablonski
Old Apr 08, 2015, 11:11 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
726 Posts
Bob, James Lee has a CL venturi and NVA to convert your .28 Sporster to CL. I sent you a PM with his contact info.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 06:33 PM
Joined Mar 2015
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
Bob, James Lee has a CL venturi and NVA to convert your .28 Sporster to CL. I sent you a PM with his contact info.
Talked to the folks at Moeca today. They moved into a new building recently so things are still getting sorted out. But a lot of good items in the works I don't want to talk about without there permission. Some will make CL flyers happy!
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
www.countylinehobbies.com
Old Apr 08, 2015, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by army_eod
United States, PA, Windsor
Joined Jan 2010
378 Posts
That is a real shame. They were some of the best CL engines available. Fox is gone. Is OS going to bring out a different CL engine?
I am now buying new Enyas from eBay.
Hope Enya stays in business.
Sad
army_eod is offline Find More Posts by army_eod
Old Apr 08, 2015, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by pulserudder
I like thermals
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2013
205 Posts
Maybe the rise of electrics has something to do with it???? Glow engine sales could be down? More and more cl fliers seem to be trying electric power.

Fox .35 for me. Reckon there will be enough of them to last a while......
pulserudder is offline Find More Posts by pulserudder
Old Apr 10, 2015, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by m1fan
Joined Jan 2015
26 Posts
Bob,

I know when I spoke to the owner of MECOA recently he was thinking about producing the old Johnson .35 C/L engine again (he owns the rights and all the old tooling) due to having at least 200 to 300 requests to do so. Did he give any indication as to when that might come to pass? He also said the price point would be around $150...... Do you think they'll sell quickly at that price? I hope he shows Fox Mfg that an American manufacture of model engine can indeed turn a profit and that they should seriously consider production again!Thanks

m1fan
m1fan is online now Find More Posts by m1fan
Last edited by m1fan; Apr 10, 2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by aspeed
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,836 Posts
I am sure that there will be some sales. It is too bad that no modern ones are being designed and tested, rather than stuff from the 1950's. I kind of think that is part of Fox's demise. It is unfortunate that even OS has abandoned the control liners. Not everyone can machine a venturi and needle valve.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Apr 10, 2015, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by ken cook
Joined Dec 2008
79 Posts
A Fox.25 venturi and needle valve assembly fits the K&B .28. This would be the BB.25 with the cylinder that can be positioned for rear exhaust and not the straight up stack bushed case. If you have a .19 BB it's also the same venturi needle and will fit. Ken
ken cook is offline Find More Posts by ken cook
Old Apr 10, 2015, 08:03 PM
Joined Mar 2015
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fan View Post
Bob,

I know when I spoke to the owner of MECOA recently he was thinking about producing the old Johnson .35 C/L engine again (he owns the rights and all the old tooling) due to having at least 200 to 300 requests to do so. Did he give any indication as to when that might come to pass? He also said the price point would be around $150...... Do you think they'll sell quickly at that price? I hope he shows Fox Mfg that an American manufacture of model engine can indeed turn a profit and that they should seriously consider production again!Thanks

m1fan
That was one of the items on the table.$150 may be a bit steep unless it was special like a combat engine. A $120 range would be a eazyer sale.
Mr. Bob
Coutyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
www.countylinehobbies
Old Apr 10, 2015, 08:45 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
726 Posts
Actually if one thinks about it, it would be just as easy to add a cottage industry aftermarket venturi and NVA to a Chinese ASP .21 or .25 engine to replace that legacy .35, for about little over half for that Johnson .35 CL, or just wire the RC throttle wide open. Except for the purist or top line competitor, one can still have fun with that .35 sized airplane. I think this is what makes it hard for an American manufacturer to compete. That $150 range is probably what it takes for MECOA to make a profit to make it their worthwhile. Gone are the days for thousands to be produced annually, making profit through high volume work.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,977 Posts
Market for UC stuff is down. Hard sell as no new blood in a long time. You can convert other engines and there are options. Plus forums will have all you want.
Many UC flyers are older and have more than fair share of excess. Like FF as time goes by less and less. K&B/Mc Coy/ Fox/ Veco/ Johnson/ Cox are gone. What remains of cox was excess stock that never sold. Yes some new stuff has been added, but not like the hay day years ago. Mecoa bought up surplus tooling etc and makes runs of certain engines. Kits are gone except cottage ind. Brodak is soon to retire, so who knows. UC will be around just need to go with the flow. Ya don't buy the stuff its goes away.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:02 AM
Find More Posts by Steve_P.
Newby Retiree
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
The reality is that Tower can't carry what OS no longer makes. HobbyClub is down to a few 25LA-S engines; Toysonics is out. Other dealers have a few of each. It's not just Tower ...
Steve_P. is offline Find More Posts by Steve_P.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:44 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
726 Posts
That may be true of OS CL engines, but Tower (Hobbico) has discontinued items that their consortium purchased the manufacturer's line, then discontinued them. Example, you don't see many Goldberg or Lanier kits or ARF's any more. I won't say that it wasn't warranted, and very well could be that the demanded had tapered off sufficiently to say that continued manufacturing in light of declining sales would be unprofitable.

OS would be continuing to sell CL engines if there was a viable market out there. It looks like the market isn't out there enough to justify continuing to manufacture them. With sales declining with large marketeers like Tower (Hobbico), with OS shipping less engines, it would be understandable that OS would cease production.

Anyway, this is all academic to me. What it is, is what it is. Those who enjoy CL will still continue to fly regardless, and there are sufficient cottage industry support to continue to support them regardless.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by ken cook
Joined Dec 2008
79 Posts
I certainly wouldn't invest a lot of time in Mecoa making good on their claims to making engines and parts supplies. Much of what you see in regards to the engines claiming to be made have been on the site for nearly 12 years now. I don't see it happening.
ken cook is offline Find More Posts by ken cook