New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2015, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by rhokita
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
506 Posts
Checkout post 2573 for an R2D2 version for a 'somewhat' similar version. Your landing gear maybe too close together for a reliable flat stable landing. My high school students built the R2D2 version and found out that they had to extend the feet alittle for a reliable upright landing, otherwise they are happy with it. Currently the R2D2 quad in undergoing cosmetic improvements.
rhokita is offline Find More Posts by rhokita
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2015, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by homeslice976
Joined Feb 2014
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhokita View Post
Checkout post 2573 for an R2D2 version for a 'somewhat' similar version. Your landing gear maybe too close together for a reliable flat stable landing. My high school students built the R2D2 version and found out that they had to extend the feet alittle for a reliable upright landing, otherwise they are happy with it. Currently the R2D2 quad in undergoing cosmetic improvements.
This is awesome.

I never ended up putting mine in the air cause it was so heavy..I ended up going an entirely different route. I would love to see your students' work and changes to the design.
homeslice976 is online now Find More Posts by homeslice976
Last edited by homeslice976; Apr 02, 2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2015, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by rhokita
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
506 Posts
Hello 976! Well here's an 'in-process' picture of the R2D2 built by a Compton High School (an L.A. 'inner' city school!) freshman. The quad was considerably lighten by using thin wall PVC. Although not shown (they are on spring break and the school is closed), the landing feet have been extended a little by adding couplers on the ends to increase length for better landing stability. It has been flown a couple of times using a very simple HK386 FC. We will upgrade to a KK FC in the near future. The student will be working on cosmetic improvements to more resemble a 'Darth Vader' R2D2 by adding a body components made of foam boards. This will take some time and coaching since he's working on several projects and learning along the way. I'll post more pictures as he makes significant progress.
rhokita is offline Find More Posts by rhokita
Old Apr 16, 2015, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by Cereal_Killer
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2014
748 Posts
I've got the basic frame of my first PVC build together today. Took me a long time to figure out how to do the tail yaw mechanism. I'm hoping it works ok.

Cereal_Killer is online now Find More Posts by Cereal_Killer
Old Apr 22, 2015, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by ChemtrailCowboy
You can't see me! ☣☢☠ϟ nwo
Joined Aug 2014
500 Posts
looking good kagenokaze! hope that it all comes together nice and smooth.

Cereal_Killer nice big flying machine you got going there. A quick search for tricopters using the "search this thread" (blue bar), might help get the ball rolling
I've never seen a tri-copter in reality and only found them out in this community.. super kinda like a transmachine cross between a quad and a heli

R2D2 C3PO Nano-Nano Strong In You The Force Is....
Ya'll have a safe flyin' day and a great week ahead! Yeehaw! CCowboy Giddy Up Your Geo Skies <3 CC
ChemtrailCowboy is offline Find More Posts by ChemtrailCowboy
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:49 AM
Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Sabre holic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer View Post
I've got the basic frame of my first PVC build together today. Took me a long time to figure out how to do the tail yaw mechanism. I'm hoping it works ok.

Holy crap CK, that's nice work, but totally over engineered .
There are many lighter easier ways to make the tail tilt.
I think you can find this out right here in this forum.
Or the scratch built forum.
No offense .
G.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:54 AM
Joined Dec 2014
748 Posts
Sure there's plenty of easier ways, I actually fly 3 other tri's all with relatively simple yaw setup's but on this one I really wanted to have the entire arm rotate and have the servo / linkage up front at the body. Both for looks and weight distribution.

Thanks! And no offense taken, constructive criticism is always welcomed.

Progress is still happening but going slow (and no time to take pic's while I'm working). My most annoying hurdle was how to get a LG / rear foot setup that would work no matter how the tail was rotated and not smash the tail prop into the ground when set down. I have something working (think training wheels on a bike that push it back upright) but still not totally happy with it, I think I'll probably abandon that and just make a set of stops so it can only rotate so far.

Next project I'll be doing is replacing the steel all-thread with a brass tube I can solder to. Plan is to solder the parts that gets glues inside the tube with the nylon spacers together (and while its apart I'll be adding Teflon sleeves to the ID of the nylon spacers) then thread the front end for making quick adjustments. Should cut weight quite a bit and the Teflon spacers should really improve the feel.

I've also got the T-motors I'm planning to use and have a quad 40A ESC (4x40A ESC's in one unit) but I'm waiting to get access to my mill before drilling the mounting holes in the arms (had to move it to my buddies garage when my little sister moved into my basement workshop last year). Plus I think I'll probably buy individual ESC's too. Oh and also when I go to my buddies to do the milling I plan to do a bunch of weight reduction slots. I thought about just drilling some "speed holes" Homer style but decided I'd wait for the mill, slots will look better and I can make some cool stripe patterns!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 08:19 PM
Joined Dec 2014
748 Posts
Just wanted to update, my buddy came over yesterday and we did some flying (not of the pictures PVC frame) and got to talking and he had EVERYTHING to build the thing. Not super high quality stuff (2000Kvmotors were completely unbranded and mystery 20A ESC's) but we spent the rainy day building it up, plan to fly it ASAP the coming week after I pick up some 10-11" props for it at my LHS.

I gave it to him since it was all his parts and told him about this thread and told him to join so I'll let him tell about it. If he doesn't post up in a few I'll update about it so atlast here's a final parts list and finished pics tho.

I don't mind cause I also have a quad frame I built the same time as this one, I just didn't post it cause it was pretty normal, T connectors for the platform and H style front with a slightly A'd tail (you'll just have to see, it's cool). Gotta get some pics of it up too (it's also just a bare frame ATM, I got stuck in a mini class fad for a bit)
Old May 22, 2015, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by Chuy
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2014
26 Posts
Wt
Chuy is offline Find More Posts by Chuy
Old May 23, 2015, 12:02 AM
Joined Aug 2014
500 Posts

<3 CC
Old Jun 18, 2015, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by old moto head
multi rotor induced O.C.D
United States, OR, Eagle Creek
Joined Apr 2013
907 Posts
you DON'T get to " FeNiN" LEAVE gordosoar.. we are not done with you yet
old moto head is offline Find More Posts by old moto head
Old Jun 18, 2015, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by mitsuman95
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined May 2015
29 Posts
Dammit, why did i find this thread. My wife is going to kill me....lol
mitsuman95 is offline Find More Posts by mitsuman95
Old Jun 20, 2015, 05:25 AM
Joined Aug 2014
500 Posts
omh, still flyin my UAV420 FMJ Aluminum Space Cowboy Only had to change a single motor once and the kk2 lcd just went blank on me recently but she still flies great while waiting on the part from Hobby King. Yeehaw! <3 CCowboy Giddy Up Ur Geo Skies!! Have an awesome safe fun flyin' weekend and week ahead ya'll!

aw mitsuman95 she'd be a good pardner for spotting tho', just saying
Old Jun 27, 2015, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by bobepine
Joined Jun 2011
9,085 Posts
Hey guys,

Seems this might be a good place to as because we find the best tinkerers in this thread.

Is anybody able to offer an answer to the quoted question below? Someone asked me and I'm at a loss to give an informed answer.

Any ideas? Please let us know.

Thank you.

Best,
Chris
Quote:
One of the things suggested to me was that the mix for the a-tail and that for the v-tail ought to be different, .I never did get a good explanation of why.

I have not yet found a good source that explains any of this. Instead, I find, using google, an apparently random collection of discussions in RCG and elsewhere that touch on one small aspect of this, but never the whole picture. And, of course, like almost all open source projects, there is no good design documentation of the software (something I notice having developed software for decades), which makes navigation through the software challenging at best. But it isn't surprising. I have yet to find anyone who knows anything about these aircraft who was willing to suggest a few good references I can use to bring myself up to speed on the math and physics specific to the design of UAVs and programming them.
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
RCG Plus Member