SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by andyflew
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Jul 2011
297 Posts
I didn't think it was possible from all the way over here in Omaha, Craig, but I Am thrilled that you're inspired! That is a great example of the Savage you have there and I hope you can get a video when you fly it (OCSS: Can someone shoot the video for Craig please?). There's not many videos of the Savage or even the SOS's. I figured that was Mark's plane, but wasn't sure if that was him in view too. These are cool memories, Craig, and I know it's personal for you on many levels as well. For me it's somewhat indescribable: the thoughts I had then and now as I went through the same process of building and flying again as I did back in the 80's.
And yeah, time sure does fly. So get out and fly that thing! Enjoy it!
Andy
andyflew is offline Find More Posts by andyflew
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Find More Posts by toro
balsa butcher extraordinaire
Joined Jan 2005
233 Posts
I haven't flown the white SOS yet but that little black one is bomber !! Super smooth lightning fast and fun... I need to have my son video em'
toro is online now Find More Posts by toro
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by laser100
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined May 2010
875 Posts
Craig that Savage is soooo pretty. I can't wait to see it in the air.

Ron
laser100 is offline Find More Posts by laser100
Old Today, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by SOS-TopGunsBro
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2009
132 Posts
Ron, thanks! I am happy to have it in my hangar. So, I made it out to Shapell a little after 6:00pm and the wind was a bit South but blowing nice at around 10-12. I was the only pilot there. I assembled the Savage, did a range check and gave it a toss. A couple clicks of down elevator and it was on its way. What a nice flying airplane! Big, but feels lite on the sticks. It has a nice roll rate for a 72" wing and the inverted flight is effortless. I flew for about 45 minutes and then brought it in. I am stoked to finally have flown one. I remember when I was just a kid and my brother and Charlie Richardson were developing this model in my parents garage. I especially remember when they were building the wing core cutting hotwire. It took a while but once done my parent's garage was stacked floor to ceiling with white foam Savage wing sets. Now, after 35 years or so I am flying one. Very special to me indeed. Perhaps if there were a demand for this model I could do short run of kits? Who knows what the future holds. Anyhow, I tried to shoot some pictures of it in the air while I was flying but it was difficult. I look foreword to flying it again soon.......
SOS-TopGunsBro is online now Find More Posts by SOS-TopGunsBro
Old Today, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by toro
Joined Jan 2005
233 Posts
Awesome,... I think my savage may have just moved up a couple of build slots .... I have 5 savage models total, 2 built 3 in que. still one of my favorite planforms. Craig don't know if you've seen these 2 yet as they were posted always back 2 41" Sons. 15oz on the black 16 1/4 oz on the white
Last edited by toro; Today at 02:36 PM.
Old Today, 02:38 PM
Find More Posts by SOS-TopGunsBro
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jul 2009
132 Posts
toro, very nice! I almost pulled the trigger on that black/yellow balsa one that you bought. I am glad that you got it! And, very nice job on the white glass version that you built. I can't wait to see it fly some day!
SOS-TopGunsBro is online now Find More Posts by SOS-TopGunsBro
Old Today, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by toro
Joined Jan 2005
233 Posts
The black one is old, but man it is built really well ... Incredibly tight lines and fits. Fly s like a beast..