SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2015, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by RootlessAgrarian
Joined Apr 2015
15 Posts
Question
repainting UMX BNF foamies?

Hi all. Relative newbie here still having a ton of fun on light-air days with my Sport Cub S. Gotta love that friendly beginner plane. Anyway, my DH wants in on the Sport Cub action :-) and of course I'll let him fly my plane -- we can take turns -- but really he should have his own.

We can't find any other 4-chan slow flyer suitable as a trainer, but I'd like to have a different colour scheme so we can tell "thine from mine" when flying. So my question is, can one repaint these Eflite foam-bodied models? if so, what kind of paint would be thin and light enough not to alter the plane's performance?

I thought of trailing a streamer from one plane to distinguish it but... that seems like asking for trouble :-)

Could I just spray paint both wingtips on one of the planes, for example?

Inquiring minds would really like to know.

thanks
RootlessAgrarian is offline Find More Posts by RootlessAgrarian
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:46 PM
Find More Posts by RootlessAgrarian
Joined Apr 2015
15 Posts
I seem to have answered my own question by further diligent googling, so if anyone else needs this answer... the leading solution seems to be Krylon "short cuts" tiny spraybombs in a variety of appealing colours. I settled for 1 each screaming yellow and metallic gold.

I'm hoping that low-tack watercolourist's masking tape will work for masking w/o damaging the foam surface. Plan is to paint a bold stripe around the plane body fore and aft of the wing.
RootlessAgrarian is offline Find More Posts by RootlessAgrarian