New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2015, 03:42 AM
Find More Posts by dambit
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,288 Posts
If you have access to a watt meter, that would tell us a lot about what going on with your setup.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2015, 05:54 AM
Find More Posts by Mantamuzza
Joined Sep 2013
83 Posts
Yep did that today and it was not pulling a lot, I think it was under 600
Mantamuzza is offline Find More Posts by Mantamuzza
Old Mar 28, 2015, 06:03 AM
Find More Posts by dambit
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,288 Posts
What are the rest of the figures. Watts alone doesn't tell much of a story. Also which prop, esc setup are you using, original or newer version?
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Mar 30, 2015, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
Joined Nov 2011
1,604 Posts
Two more flights today - no issues- great warbird!
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
Old Mar 30, 2015, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by CustomKid
Beno
Australia, SA, Plympton
Joined Sep 2011
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
Two more flights today - no issues- great warbird!
I remaidened my Yellow 6 after my ECS/BEC died on the first flight resulting in a snapped fuse and destroyed firewall. Although easily repaired I just grabbed a new fuse, and will eventually get around to fixing the other and keeping it as a spare.

The weather was perfect, a flat calm autumn morning, and the Wulf flew exceptionally well with the 100A Plush ESC on 5S. The first maiden required zero trim while this time around it required a lot of down trim and right aileron. I did rush the build the night before so it probably wasn't perfect but once trimmed there were no issues.

I don't think I've ever been so nervous after the last mishap and the heart was racing during that first flight thinking what if the electrics go again. After 4 flights I called it a morning and all was in tact and left the park a happy chappy. First landing I got the 190 bounce but after that, with some speed and a nice run out the next 3 were silky smooth landings.

It is a great flying plane, it just has real presence in the air, and is a worthy addition to the hangar for anyone sitting on the fence if they're not sure they should make the investment. I made 5 min flights, with a mixture of throttle management, but most was just easy going with the occasional speed pass and the cells came down with 3.96v on average. It has great climb, speedy roll on high rates, and can fly inverted very well.

The FW-190 is a keeper.

Regards Ben
CustomKid is offline Find More Posts by CustomKid
Last edited by CustomKid; Mar 30, 2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 08:14 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,604 Posts
It's just a great feeling when everything goes well with a warbird-eh Ben? I love packing a plane into my car in the same condition as when it first got to the field! Good luck with your yellow 6 as I have the red 8! Kevin
Old Mar 30, 2015, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by CustomKid
Beno
Australia, SA, Plympton
Joined Sep 2011
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
It's just a great feeling when everything goes well with a warbird-eh Ben? I love packing a plane into my car in the same condition as when it first got to the field! Good luck with your yellow 6 as I have the red 8! Kevin
Yeah I agree Kevin, it's always good returning in once piece. Red 8 looks the goods too, and I was really torn as to which one I should get. Maybe when the funds permit I might get both

Regards Ben
CustomKid is offline Find More Posts by CustomKid
Old Mar 30, 2015, 08:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomKid View Post
Yeah I agree Kevin, it's always good returning in once piece. Red 8 looks the goods too, and I was really torn as to which one I should get. Maybe when the funds permit I might get both

Regards Ben
Nice Ben- I have wanted for a couple of years to add an fms p-51 Big Beautiful Doll to my hanger! It's just currently our Canadian dollar is down to .80 us and the U.S.A. is where the vendors are! So when our buck regains i'll look into it further. The fms 1400mm Stuka I can get from SN Hobbies on our west coast to go with the fms fw-190.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 06:28 AM
Find More Posts by Shirty
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
964 Posts
Nice one Ben.
Shirty is offline Find More Posts by Shirty
Old Mar 31, 2015, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by Ctmabry
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Some time ago I had a bad nose in landing, the results was a loose firewall - so I thought. After examination I concluded I only needed to reattach and support the firewall. I heated a 1/2 wood augur bit and made a thin shaft behind the firewall. I was pleased with the accuracy of my line and the hot bit ran just behind the firewall. I inserted a .125x.500 carbon strip into the slot and used gorilla glue to secure the carbon strip. All the play in the firewall was now gone. Success, well maybe not. After reassembling the engine, prop etc... the right and down angel on the prop is excessive and the prop scarps against the plastic cowl. Something is amiss with the firewall or the engine mount.

Can some one with a pristine plane post a pic that shows the clearance of the prop and cowl when 1 blade of the prop is at 6 o'clock and if possible measure the distance between the prop and the cowl. This will provide some visual guidance on how much shim to place behind the engine mount to true up the prop angle.
Ctmabry is offline Find More Posts by Ctmabry
Old Apr 01, 2015, 04:20 AM
Find More Posts by xfatdannx
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctmabry View Post
I was pleased with the accuracy of my line and the hot bit ran just behind the firewall. I inserted a .125x.500 carbon strip into the slot and used gorilla glue to secure the carbon strip. All the play in the firewall was now gone. Success, well maybe not. After reassembling the engine, prop etc... the right and down angel on the prop is excessive and the prop scarps against the plastic cowl. Something is amiss with the firewall or the engine mount.
Could be the expansion of the GG that did this? I dont have a pic handy but i know i had a similar problem on my FMS 1.4m Zero.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Apr 01, 2015, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by Ctmabry
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
Could be the expansion of the GG that did this? I dont have a pic handy but i know i had a similar problem on my FMS 1.4m Zero.
Thanks for the reply. Doubtful it was the GG pushing the firewall forward. The foam on the front (engine mount side) of the firewall was intact. The impact from the nose over landing caused some compression of the foam on the back side of the fire wall allowing the firewall to wobble. The carbon bar and GG augments the form and providing a secure base for the firewall - in theory
Ctmabry is offline Find More Posts by Ctmabry
Old Apr 01, 2015, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by paladin-34
This area for rent
Vestal, NY
Joined May 2006
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctmabry View Post
Thanks for the reply. Doubtful it was the GG pushing the firewall forward. The foam on the front (engine mount side) of the firewall was intact. The impact from the nose over landing caused some compression of the foam on the back side of the fire wall allowing the firewall to wobble. The carbon bar and GG augments the form and providing a secure base for the firewall - in theory
my son and I used to dog fight these (FMS me109 and FW190) it did not take long to spin the firewalls. the glue they use is a pine sappy type thing that never stops sticking to stuff. I cut the foam out from under the firewall in one big chunk (well at least the painted part). the FW190 outer surface under the firewall is not attached to the block of foam that holds the firewall.

I used a pair of long handled pliers to grab the firewall, and a # 29 blade to cut what was still holding it in place. once removed I traced it on 1/4 in marine/base ply and cut on the outside of the lines in affect making it 1/8 biger in all directions. I stuffed that back into place with 3hr epoxy (gives about 20-30minutes workable time) reattached the motor and prop. I had to move things around so all would fit without rubbing then I put = sized blocks under each prop (between the prop and cowl) and taped the assembly so it would not move. that's the part I think you want. I then propped it in my workbench cradle nose high inverted so any stray epoxy would mot hit something I would need.

I only put tape on the cowl because the foam does not take tape well. I have over 100 flights on this setup and it is rock solid so far!? we've done this mod on 2x me109 and 1x fw190 so far.

hope this helps

Joe
paladin-34 is offline Find More Posts by paladin-34
Old Apr 02, 2015, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by TyberJV44
Australia, WA, Ardross
Joined Sep 2013
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
Check out this magazine my dad just sent me. 128 pages and its ALL about the history of the FW 190. Couple pics below as a teaser

Cover

If you have the cash i recommend these

I have all three and they are worth the price, must have for FW190 nuts.

Anyway back onto topics of crash damage, I use Bob Smith industries foam glue. Its similar to the OEM glue but its actually good. It goes hard but still flexible which is perfect for foamies (have used it on a big crash i had on my Frewwing me262).

recently I knocked the rudder off my 190, so I've glassed it as an experiment (using 1/2oz glass and WBPU). It turned out really well, so much so that I've done it for another foamy, its now pretty much resistant to hanger rash and hard knocks.
TyberJV44 is offline Find More Posts by TyberJV44