HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2014, 01:08 AM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
889 Posts
Alert
Attacks against Dave Thornburg

On another thread someone mentioned that Dave Thornburg’s "Old Buzzards Soaring Book" is not to be found anymore, they saw a single copy going for $120. After looking up to see what was going on, there are two issues here.

Deliberate damage
Someone –supposedly someone in the soaring community—filed a ‘report’ against Dave and his book on a site called the Ripoff Report. Besides the site actually being a quasi-legal extortion racket, the ‘report’ was not about a ripoff such as no delivery, received damaged goods, double-charged, etc, etc. Lookup RCM Plans for examples of real ripoffs.

Instead the complaint was that Dave‘s book wasn’t as good as the complainer thought it should be. Basically, it was a bad book review; a scathing review. Another comment piled on that he read the book and still couldn’t fly, another added that Thornburg’s book wasn’t as complete as Naton’s DVD’s, etc.

The problem is that many of the ‘comments’ are from paid commenters –the work at home scam—who scour the internet to steal, scrape and manufacture these ‘comments’. They have a 'pastor' condemning to hell anyone who agrees or likes the book. Two ‘authors’ contradict themselves in different posts, and another incoherently challenges anyone to fly against him in a ‘sink cycle’. They scraped a small article by Gordon Buckland and posted it. To really confuse things there are a couple of real comments as well. It is a mess, and as the newspaper article verifies (Forbes has a similar article about the Ripoff Report site as well) once a complaint is posted it will never come down unless you pay thousands of dollars.

Collateral damage
With the book not available, or extremely costly, the ‘solution’ someone here on RCGoups offered was to scan it to PDF and send it to whoever wanted a copy. Perhaps it’s just me, but Dave Thornburg is one of the Founding Fathers of modern soaring and after his online reputation is trashed, stealing his (copyrighted) work seems downright low.

There always seems to be controversy over copyrights, and I feel of two minds about the issue. With plans the original designer gets a one-time fee and nothing thereafter. Nor do I personally agree with US law on copyright for 70+ years after the authors’ death, put in to benefit the Disney corporation. But Thornburg’s right to this is unmistakable both legally and ethically. It’s his book, he wrote it, he publishes it, and he is still alive. It is clearly his right –for better or worse—to sell or not.

Solutions?
I don't have any good ones. Bombing the RR site with positive comments will just get them deleted or negated by paid sock puppets; they thrive on controversy and it gets them 'click money'. Maybe someone who knows Dave can find out how he feels about all this or offer their opinions.
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2014, 07:00 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,618 Posts
Of what I know about DT, I doubt he would give a rats behind about it, but who knows. It is kind of interesting how they compare two diametrically opposed styles of knowledge dissemination as you pointed out between Dave's book and Paul's DVD's.

I still remember the first time I read the OBSB, that first chapter had me laughing out loud, and I learned most of the important lessons to flying soaing competitions from those chapters. To bad it is being attached like this cause to me, it is nearly a bible for our hobby.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Nov 10, 2014, 07:56 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.M. Gellart View Post
...compare two diametrically opposed styles of knowledge dissemination as you pointed out between Dave's book and Paul's DVD's...
I don't quite see how those methods are 'diametrically opposed'. Why not scan the book into pdf and sell it online as a downloadable copy, proceedings going directly to Dave? Just like Paul is doing with his videos. What am I missing here?
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Nov 10, 2014, 09:02 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,618 Posts
Written word vs a DVD, as far as making it a .pdf file, as long as Dave is alive, it lies in his hands.

Marc
Old Nov 10, 2014, 09:10 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,566 Posts
Quote:
...as far as making it a .pdf file, as long as Dave is alive, it lies in his hands...
My point exactly - revenue for him, valuable info for the masses who have trouble finding the original book. Win-win, so why not do it? Would someone who has Dave's contact info suggest this to him, please?
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:30 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2012
251 Posts
funnily enough i have seen copies of this book going for crazy money in the UK. I have been keen to pick up a copy but the prices are crazy.

I would be all for purchasing an ebook format/republished book in print or even an updated version in either format. would be great if someone made it happen.
paul_mccaughey is offline Find More Posts by paul_mccaughey
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:57 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,618 Posts
Jkettu, no opinion other than respect Davr's work in doing it.

Marc
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:06 AM
Joined Dec 2003
591 Posts
Copyright

Marc:
It is better than that!
Copyright now extends to life of author PLUS 75 years!
cheers
Jim

Quote:
Written word vs a DVD, as far as making it a .pdf file, as long as Dave is alive, it lies in his hands.

Marc
vintagesailplnr is offline Find More Posts by vintagesailplnr
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:27 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,410 Posts
I did a little research on this guy Pastor Keith White. It appears that he is a troublemaker and goes around making false accusations against a variety of authors. It also appears that Pastor Keith White is a self-proclaimed expert in RC Soaring which I find rather interesting because none of my searches found him with any credible credentials.

So it appears Pastor Keith White is out to make a buck and bashing authors is his playground.

Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Nov 10, 2014, 01:26 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,897 Posts
If he's the same guy I think he is, he's been on RCG a few times under a few handles and kicked off each time. He lives around DFW and tries to DS slopers in thermals and tells everyone else how wrong and stupid they are...

I was never a friend of DT, but I did respect his design work and his written knowledge. This Keith guy... If I'm right about his identity, he's as rabid as Highstarter... just in a different direction. There's a good field that no one goes to for fear of running into him...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 10, 2014, 01:32 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,618 Posts
If I remember correctly, he is from Arlington. And Jack is correct, he is a jackwagon.

Marc
Old Nov 10, 2014, 01:33 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,897 Posts
Why does everyone take my name in vain???
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 10, 2014, 01:50 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
If he's the same guy I think he is, he's been on RCG a few times under a few handles and kicked off each time. He lives around DFW and tries to DS slopers in thermals and tells everyone else how wrong and stupid they are...

I was never a friend of DT, but I did respect his design work and his written knowledge. This Keith guy... If I'm right about his identity, he's as rabid as Highstarter... just in a different direction. There's a good field that no one goes to for fear of running into him...
Oh, not that guy again!
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Nov 10, 2014, 01:54 PM
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
737 Posts
The Old Buzzard's Book used to be sold by various distributors, and also directly by Dave himself. Does the book being unavailable mean that you can't find the book at the distributors, and don't know that the book is available direct? Or, does it mean that there are no new copies of the book even from Dave himself?

After all if you do a search for the book you get links to the distributors. The direct sales information is printed in the book, if you don't already have a copy of the book, you don't have the order information.
Ken Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Old Nov 10, 2014, 02:05 PM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined May 2008
602 Posts
Dave's local. I'll see if he can be contacted.
rockyabq is offline Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member