copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,538 Posts
Alert
advanced foam and depron tecnologies.

it does not belong here.
Claus
clausxpf is offline Find More Posts by clausxpf
Last edited by clausxpf; Mar 26, 2006 at 04:26 PM. Reason: it just not belong here
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:19 PM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,538 Posts
I am against the mowe.
Last edited by clausxpf; Mar 26, 2006 at 04:27 PM. Reason: it just not belong here
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:49 PM
land between bridges
Joined Feb 2003
27 Posts
I think its a great idea. It would make a great resource for all. Ive been scouring rcgroups for new techniques in bending/forming depron, forming my own list in my head. If you wanted to make a thread or site about it, I'll contribute.

Perhaps the FAQ can be divided up into stages of modeling. Like cutting, forming, adhesives, sanding, finishing, etc...

Here are some from me:

CUTTING:
- I use an angle cutter or put a blade on an angled piece of wood to cut. Its great for parts that need to butt up on an angle. Its nice for formers too, so the skins line up and butt perfectly.

- find a protractor that will let you fit your xacto knife on it to cut the perfect radius.

- cut a tiny bit larger than your plan suggests, and then sand down to fit for the perfect fit. (from Airbuzz)

FORMING:

- Use 4-600 grit sandpaper on a block and sand the surface flashing off both sides of the depron. This essentially turns the depron into zepron. Alot of the stiffness is reduced, but it helps for forming. For light forming, just sanding the inside will do.

- For a large area compound curve, use a wok or something else that has a spherical shape and can hold boiling water. I bought a 12" wok for 13 dollars. Sand the surfaces to get them pliable. Roll the part over the side of a table in both directions (x and y) to soften the piece up a bit. Boil up some water in it and then place your piece inside and then with a burlap bag filled with sand or rice, press down on the part for maybe about a minute. Then flush it all out with cold water. Presto! For this method Ive found that a piece no larger than about 5" in width will work. Any larger and you'll risk creasing.
WannaFlyJets is offline Find More Posts by WannaFlyJets
Last edited by WannaFlyJets; Jul 29, 2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 02:00 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,292 Posts
Bending Depron

I thnk it's a great idea. Here's a tip I use.

When bending Depron, use a curved piece of sheet metal and use your heat gun to heat the metal instead of the foam, so that just the foam in contact with the metal bends. That way the edges of the Depron don't thicken and shrink. I can easily make curved pieces of all sorts of radii. Got that one from a guitar making book

-- Val
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jul 31, 2005, 09:26 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Good idea here. I've been lately using Fuelsguy's method of using blue foam as a mold - after cutting it with hot wire. Then place depron sheet into it and tape it in place. Then place that piece into a dry cleaning bag and fill up the mold with boiling water. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then carefully remove it. You end up with a beautifully formed piece of depron even with compound curves. See my C-5 Galaxy thread for pics. (Still not home from vactation yet but will be back to work on my Galaxy this coming Wednesday)
Hawker is offline Find More Posts by Hawker
Old Aug 01, 2005, 01:39 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
great idea, and more of what Hawker said! Fuel has some great tricks that should be seen by all.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Aug 01, 2005, 09:20 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
I just started a thread where I use just the hot water from the tap to form a fuse. So far I am very pleased with the results. Take a peek
I have included a few pics here as well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399547

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Last edited by power; Aug 01, 2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2005, 10:07 AM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,538 Posts
To give even newcomers and idea of what is going on

it just not belong here
Last edited by clausxpf; Mar 26, 2006 at 04:28 PM. Reason: it just not belong here
Old Aug 01, 2005, 10:52 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,925 Posts
Good idea for a thread, Claus. Here's a quick contribution:

You can make little "blisters" and fairings by rolling a semi-tube, and then bending it a little. Slice away the bent portion flush with the sides of the semi-tube, and you're done. Great for gun ports, cooling vents, F-15ish engine covers and the like. I used this to replicate a feature on the underside of the Su-27.

I'd think it would work fine for reproducing smaller diameter shapes like missiles and fuel tanks. One of these days I want to try a variation of this method on thick depron to see if I can make a reasonable nose "cone" ... I mean ... a nose cone that doesn't look like a simple cone ... you know what I mean. Might work well with the latest nanojet that Power is building.
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; Aug 01, 2005 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Why else? Typos 'n spelling
Old Aug 01, 2005, 01:30 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
cool stuff Thomas! In the old hot rodding days they called that frenching, why I dont know. For example if they wanted a neat recessed hole for a power antenna they would weld a tube into the fender and then cut the part hanging off on the outside to the shape of the fender. This would give them a pocket that looked like a gun port.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Aug 01, 2005, 03:11 PM
land between bridges
Joined Feb 2003
27 Posts
That's a great technique, Thomas! thanks for sharing that one. I think maybe to do the same thing on a larger scale one would have to use something as a core to wrap around with the depron before bending the tube so you wouldnt risk collapsing it. I guess sort of like creating a "Mandrel" bend in a depron tube. Id love to see your method for creating a nosecone like you described.

Ive taken a picture of a piece Ive experimented with using boiling water and a roundbottom wok. I think multiple pieces like these over a structure would make a smooth rounded cone.
WannaFlyJets is offline Find More Posts by WannaFlyJets
Old Aug 01, 2005, 03:33 PM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,538 Posts
that is real nice to see...a little heat and a form can do the trick.... now I have to take it further.
Claus
Old Aug 01, 2005, 08:46 PM
central illinois
Joined Aug 2002
800 Posts
Hawker, where's the C-5 thread ?
newcomer is offline Find More Posts by newcomer
Old Aug 10, 2005, 05:52 AM
Wareham, Dorset, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausxpf
that is real nice to see...a little heat and a form can do the trick.... now I have to take it further.
Claus
Any more results??

Klaus
winmodels is offline Find More Posts by winmodels
Old Aug 10, 2005, 05:58 AM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,538 Posts
I do hope to have some results tomorrow.....
Claus