HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2014, 03:08 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,018 Posts
Link
DIY 3D Biplane

Ive been slowly improving my flying and wanted something capable to enable me to improve..
I am into designing and building my own models from scratch , so I look to base my model on something I like visually and something that performs well..

there are a huge number of models available , but I also wanted a smaller wingspan for indoor flight... And the more common 30-32 size foamy is in my opinion a bit too big in our hall , so I looked for something 24" or less..

The model that filled my needs was I decided going to be a biplane to give me more lifting area and slower flight..

both the 3d foamie and the crack pits were far more capable models than I am a flier so they were the base idea.. and I particularly liked the crack models wing shapes and construction technique so I have been more biased toward that model..
there are many similar model plans out there... but here is my build and shape
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2272442
So far I have made 3 models of different spans.. 20"...23"...and a 30" for outside..
All fly well, but for inside the 23" is likely the best size and outside the 30 goes well..
My plans have been drawn up in sketchup, this lets me scale the model to any size...
The only adjustment when scaling is that the slots need to be re-cut to suit the thickness of the foam
On foams.... EPP is best for indoors.. 6mm depron is fine for the bigger outdoor versions..
On the big versions a KF wing can also be used.. take the steps back to the spar line

indoors here is a decent flier, flying the 23"... at mid rate settings
note rudder and elevator were a bit slow here due to me setting 30% expo and not having full travel... things were dialled down to let me be able to fly the model... on its high rates its a bit rapid on its responses..
23 EPP kyle flying 20 11 2014 (6 min 8 sec)
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Nov 27, 2014 at 03:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2014, 03:24 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,018 Posts
making the model..

NOTE..... it takes significantly longer to make the model this way ,than it does building from a kit, the time being taken by printing and joining the plans, then cutting out the templates and transferring the shapes to the EPP, then cutting out all the parts..
One that is done its just the same as building from a kit..

Cost wise .. about 1/3 the price of a kit, but if you have to factor in the time as a cost, then a kit will be the best option...
and one of the best kits is, in my opinion is the crack pitts mini or maxi..
Very nicely colour printed the Crack Pitts will build up to a lighter model than the one Ive made.. So it should be an even better performer

to me time doesn't matter as I am retired... and I enjoy that sort of thing.. and the capability of my model is better than my flying ...lol
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Nov 27, 2014 at 03:37 AM.