Old Apr 04, 2013, 11:26 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
F-106 Build

Ok guys,
New project...
I have decided to build an F-106. EDF hopefully between a 50 to 70mm fan. I would like to use depron. But the question is, what plans to pick? Please give me your ideas. I have seen DeltaDart's parkjet, but I don't know if EDF will work. Lmeano's seems good, but the intake tubes make it complicated. It will be a slow build but well worth it in the end. It's such a good looking aircraft. Give me your ideas!
cessna 400 flyer is offline Find More Posts by cessna 400 flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2013, 07:28 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,932 Posts
Dan Savage has some very nice 106 plans on his web site. They are for a balsa/ply build but could easily be adapted for foam.
I would ask him how he feels about using them to scratch build one first.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Apr 05, 2013, 01:00 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
C400F,

Rodger (air sally) made intake duct from my plug he cleaned up and could pull you some beautiful ducts for a 70mm size dart. The bigger the better if you’re going to spend the time to scratch build.

Looking forward to your progress, jeff
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Old Apr 05, 2013, 04:58 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2011
6 Posts
I wonder how I would make the tapered edge on Dan's plans. I would prefer to make the wing from one piece of foam, but I think it would have to be built up.

And, I live in Australia so getting those intakes to me without breaking them would be impossible with our postal system, it's not world class, that's for sure.

At the moment Dan's plans look the best, they are relatively simple and the build is very well documented.

Thanks guys,
Stay tuned and we'll see what happens
Old Apr 05, 2013, 09:24 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
Unless you're considering flat foam, you can cut this wing with an odd set of templates. You make a root set and a trailing edge template that droops at the tip. Then you cut with the wire always parallel to the leading edge. I think I moved the trailing edge template up a tiny bit on the top cut, but it worked great.

I don't think deltas fly as well with straight wings as they do with the leading edge drooped or curled over like the 106 has. In videos I watch, the deltas with the sorta straight normal leading edges need a lot of angle of attack to make turns and they slow down a lot. I read an old NACA report that makes it pretty clear cut and that's why all the real ones have it.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Last edited by Steve C; Apr 06, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2013, 10:33 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,260 Posts
i've shipped ducts down there a time or two....no proplems that i can remember .you just need to let them fully cure and pack them correctley.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 08, 2013, 11:07 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2011
6 Posts
Got some bad news today, I'm gonna have to postpone the build... I'm gonna have a heap of work start coming in from next week, so I don't have time to start and probably won't for a while. I'll re-open the thread later and continue, hopefully. Thanks for the help that you guys gave, it has given me some good ideas.
Closed Thread