SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
Discussion
DSMx or FlySky next step after mCX2 heli (v. another one of these threads)

I'm looking to move on from my MCX2. I'm looking for the same size as the mCX for indoor flying. I have both a FlySky TH9x and a Spektrum DX6i remote. Obviously I'm aware of the mSR and the mSRx. I'm a little disappointed that mSR isn't sold in a BNF anymore as I have no need of a remote. I'm not really aware of what FlySky options are out there beyond the v911 and how they compare to the mSR and the v911..

I would put more value on precision flying and stable flight than speed and agility, but obviously at the same time I'm looking for something with more spunk than the mCX2.

Suggestions / thoughts?

Thanks!
Stereodude is offline Find More Posts by Stereodude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:38 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
I would recommend that you keep costs as low as possible and get the V911 first. After you are comfortable with it, you can then consider the Nano CPX or mCPX for your dX6i
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:27 AM
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've been leaning toward the v911 myself.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:22 AM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
765 Posts
The V911 is cheap enough that I'd recommend getting one, regardless of where you plan to go next in your heli career. it's easily the toughest/lowest maintenance thing in my hole hanger. I've crashed it countless times, dive bombed it into concrete, ran it into walls...never broken anything. It still flies great after about 100 abusive flights.

As a learning tool, it's use is arguable. It rights itself if you just take your hands off the sticks, which isn't really representative of what a collective pitch heli does. It's still alright for learning orientation though, and it's fast enough to be entertaining (especially indoors).

Bottom line: Get one, you wont regret it. If you eventually plan to move up to larger CP helis, you might also consider a micro quad in addition to a V911. I've flown one of those around a bit, and they do a better job of "training" you for a real helicopter.
Chubbs is online now Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:45 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The V911 is a quicker than the MCX2. But, it lacks the precision. Movement is muted and sloppy by comparison. Any micro with a top mounted 45 offset flybar is going to have the same type of performance. The flybar has terrible latency that really kills it. You started with an MCX2, which is the best handling micro-coax made, by a wide margin. Otherwise, you would probably not notice. I think you would find the feel of the MSR more to your liking. But, like Chubbs said, a mini-quad is hard to beat. They fly circles around any FP heli.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
On the subject of quads... I have a micro quad. A HeliMax 1SQ. I've found my piloting skills are not yet adequate to fly it indoors (around the office) in any sort controlled fashion. I'm hoping the Syma X1 (mini quad) that's in the mail will be a better stepping stone into quads.

Back to the heli's, it sounds like a V911 is something that will provide some additional indoor entertainment even if it isn't perhaps the best learning tool.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:09 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
Joined Jun 2012
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Back to the heli's, it sounds like a V911 is something that will provide some additional indoor entertainment even if it isn't perhaps the best learning tool.
I think you nailed it. It's cheap and fun enough that I love mine, even though it's not really "useful" to me for training anymore.

It's also the only heli I still feel comfortable flying around my kids and dogs. I've hit myself with it, and hit my daughter with it (that was last year...I'm still accepting father of the year nominations for 2013), and it just leaves a little red mark and that's it. Head speed isn't high enough to be dangerous. That makes it great for hovering around the living room and annoying the wife while she's watching TV.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:28 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I was flying my MSR in the house a few years ago and got it snagged in my wife's hair! Wow, you wouldn't think a woman her age would have a vocabulary like that!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:41 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
Joined Jun 2012
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I was flying my MSR in the house a few years ago and got it snagged in my wife's hair! Wow, you wouldn't think a woman her age would have a vocabulary like that!
I'm saving that for the ultimate durability test of the V911 when I decide i'm done with it. I don't expect it to survive the encounter.

It's survived ceiling fans, dogs, little girls, pavement, walls, bar stools, office cubicles, and trees, but I don't think it will make it through "angry wife".
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:46 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Try snagging one in your OWN hair.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:57 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Try snagging one in your OWN hair.
In order to do that, I'd have to stick it down my pants!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:02 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Or up your nose?
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:51 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Ohhhh.... tough choice!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:57 PM
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. I bought a V911 and will steer clear of my wife's hair.