HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:42 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Apr 2003
84 Posts
Discussion
E Flite Ask-21 Glider BNF For Slope?

Does anyone know if the E Flite Ask-21 Glider would work as a slope-soarer?

Thanks,

Martin
Bristol, UK
Martinuk is offline Find More Posts by Martinuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:04 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
As far as I know, they haven't been released yet. They were supposed to be out last year, but some sort of delay has kept them off the market as yet. That said, I see no reason as to why they wouldn't work on the slope. I think the biggest question might be how well it survives the rough environment of slope life. With a claimed weight of under 3 oz. it might not have enough mass to do any damage to itself on the slope. It could have trouble penetrating in the wind. It would probably be really cool on a very small slope.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Last edited by BigSwede; Oct 02, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
sailplane nut
Herminie, PA 15637
Joined Apr 2007
213 Posts
hello from RCbobcat55 I just started a blog or discussion on the new ASK-21 BNF sailplane. I have a very nice small slope where I fly my dlg models with short grass and many acres to land in and I was thinking of trying it out there. I am very impressed with the quality and looks of the model and can't wait for the weather to clear up so I can give it a try. The only thing about it that bothers me is the 25 minute flying time. I plan on trying some turnigy 750 mah single cell packs I have to increase the flying time which will push the wing loading up a little for slope flying. My dad had one of the full size ASK 21 two seaters and I had the privelege of flying in it with him before he passed away about 3 years ago-it was a very impressive sailplane. Anyways, that is my 2 cents worth I think it will be great on the slope. Bob M..
rcbobcat55 is online now Find More Posts by rcbobcat55
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
It works really well. Today was my first time doing slope soaring and the UMX Ask-21 was an absolute ball. I think this is the most fun you can have with this plane. The wind was 8 mph gusting to 15+ mph. I had 1/2 ounce of weight for ballast. I got 20+ minutes on one of my flights.

Kerr Scott Dam Ask21 (0 min 49 sec)

Eric
Control Freaked is offline Find More Posts by Control Freaked
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
I am adding ballast using two pieces of foam and pieces of lead weight I cut up so I can easily add and take away weight as needed.
Last edited by Control Freaked; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:38 PM
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Nov 2001
328 Posts
ask 21

Controled Freak. Nice video and very nice sailplane would like to see more picture of it around here!

Lee
Lee R. Wheeler is online now Find More Posts by Lee R. Wheeler
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
The wing flexed a lot in the wind today so I it off and wrapped a 2-inch strip of clear packing tape across the entire length of the leading edge. Then I ran a 1-inch section further back on the underside. This has stiffened the wing considerably. It adds a little weight but I'm just using mine for slope soaring so I'll take out ballast if conditions get light.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
Thanks Lee. The AS3X system performed great. I'm still amazed I could fly a 3 ounce (with ballast) sailplane in 15+ mph wind and actually enjoy the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R. Wheeler View Post
Controled Freak. Nice video and very nice sailplane would like to see more picture of it around here!

Lee
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
I got in some more time at the dam today and figured out more about what makes this gem perform better for sloping for me. First, I found the Ask-21 did best for me in 6-15+ mph wind. It was a struggle to keep it going in 5 mph and less wind. However, in 6-10 mph wind it starts to come alive and in 10-15 mph it is a total blast.

I think the CG needs to come way forward. It might work a little back from where I have am showing it but I doubt it could go much further back if you are dealing with enough wind for it to come alive.I cut up lead weights and wrapped them in foam pieces that I shoved into the fore and aft canopy "seating" sections. I can adjust CG by adjusting how much weight I put in each section.

I found at least 1/4 ounce of weight was needed in 6-10 mph wind. A 1/2 ounce ballast was better in 10-15+ mph wind. I'm not sure how much higher wind that I/it can handle

I really liked how the clear packing tape stiffened the wing. It didn't feel nearly as springy in the air and was easier to fly.

The fuse seems really weak right behind the wing. A little tape reinforcement here made it much stronger. The nose is also weak and needs some sort of reinforcement. I'm still playing with how to fix tape to a compound surface like that.

It's so hard to get it down when the wind is blowing. I'm going to try catching it instead of trying to land it.

Eric
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
Here's another video of me working the frontside at W Kerr Scott Dam.

Sloping UMX ASK-21 W Kerr Scott Frontside (1 min 11 sec)

Eric