HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:23 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a good first medium sized electric

Hey guys. i have flown the micro t-28, champ, and ember 2, but now im wanting to get into larger planes. Im looking for which plane would be a good first large electric based on the experience i have. i would like the price to stay under $240. I would also like the plane to be able to take off from a grass runway that has very short grass. I'm open to suggestions, but heres the choices i have so far:

Flyzone Select Scale Super Cub RxR

Parkzone F4U Corsair PNP

Flyzone Cessna Corvalis
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Last edited by electricrc68; Apr 25, 2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: change of one plane
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Don't know anything about the Cub, but the trojan should work. You might want to put some 3" wheels on it, but might not be necessary. Also I think the Apprentice is an excellent choice and depending on what you want to do or go, I have a Hacker Super Zoom that is a ball and will do all the wild moves and some 3d stuff, yet will fly like a trainer if throws are dumbed down and will do it all at a slow enough pace to learn the moves at a slower pace. Unlike some flat foamies, the Hacker has a full symetrical airfoil and flies more like a regular plane.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
okay thank you. im not really into 3D, im more into Scale and mild aerobatics. thanks for the suggestion anyway. any other suggestions or comments on the two i have been considering?

EDIT: I've just added another one to my list of possible planes; the Flyzone Cessna Corvalis. I also took the T-28 off the list and replaced it with the F4U Corsair since i already have a micro T-28 and don't see the need for something of the same type.
Last edited by electricrc68; Apr 21, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:26 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
have a look at the fms range too got some nice birds,
i just pulled the trigger on the fms cessna 182 mk2 1400w/s with flaps and nav lights.
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:35 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza44 View Post
have a look at the fms range too got some nice birds,
I bought the FMS Mini Trojan last month but I was disappointed by the quality:

- The vertical fin was bowed quite badly
- The servo arms weren't centred on the servo spindles and the aileron ones can't really be easily adjusted as they are hot-glued in.
- The leads to the aileron Y-lead came away from the plug (while I was assembling it, not on the air luckily).
- The supplied charger didn't work.
- The control horn clevisis are very cheap and nasty and even the manual advises to use some fuel tubing over them in case they open in flight (tubing isn't supplied in the kit).

Too many things wrong, even for a cheap ARTF. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I took the plane back to the model shop and ordered one from a different manufacturer.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:40 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee1 View Post
I bought the FMS Mini Trojan last month but I was disappointed by the quality:

- The vertical fin was bowed quite badly
- The servo arms weren't centred on the servo spindles and the aileron ones can't really be easily adjusted as they are hot-glued in.
- The leads to the aileron Y-lead came away from the plug (while I was assembling it, not on the air luckily).
- The supplied charger didn't work.
- The control horn clevisis are very cheap and nasty and even the manual advises to use some fuel tubing over them in case they open in flight (tubing isn't supplied in the kit).

Too many things wrong, even for a cheap ARTF. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I took the plane back to the model shop and ordered one from a different manufacturer.
i got the 800mm hellcat and spitfire not had probs you had only thing was the screws for control horns on hellcat didnt fit so luckily got a huge box of bits n pieces had some to fit,
hows brighton these days used to live in hollingdean some 10 yrs ago..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,143 Posts
Hi dazza, yeah I was probably just unlucky and got a duff model.

Brighton's fine thanks - I also lived in Hollingdean for a while many years ago - small world. Still no proper model shops here though - SMC in Worthing is the nearest!
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
thanks for the suggestion! Only thing is, I don't really like buying planes that are cheap...nothing wrong with them, i just dont really like them. anyone want to comment on my choices or have any other suggestions?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:10 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,521 Posts
Out of the three planes you've added to your first post, I'd pick the Corsair hands-down. I haven't heard a lot about the Flyzone offerings, but the Corsair is a well-loved and very popular model.

Plus, it just looks cool
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:14 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Oct 2009
330 Posts
The Apprentice is a great flying plane. Quite powerful, trainer stability but capable of full inverted flight, etc.
Another option is the FunCub from Multiplex. Set it up with flaps and it is capable of incredibly slow approaches, bit is still quite aerobatic.
Both of thes are foamie airframes that can be painted with water based paint or stickered up to look more scale.
Thom
olythom is offline Find More Posts by olythom
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
okay thanks guys. yeah i looked into the apprentice and the funcub so i will think about those. Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
gosh i have a lot of flyzone on that list. anyone know if flyzone planes are of good quality?
Last edited by electricrc68; Apr 21, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:59 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
thanks for the suggestion! anyone want to comment on my choices or have any other suggestions?
You've had a mini T28, but those are nowhere near as good as the regular sized Park Zone T28. I've flown a few of those and they are really nice airplanes, especially for the money. I think they are like $179 or so plug-n-play, so it's well under your budget. I'de say at least see if you can bumb a few laps on someone else's and I am pretty sure that will convince you it is nowhere near the same thing as the min one.

Quote:
Only thing is, I don't really like buying planes that are cheap...nothing wrong with them, i just dont really like them.
At your #250 bugfet, you're right at the point that you need to spend a little more if you want to step up, but it's a big step. For about $400 you can get into any number of really good, top quality 48" span 3D style aerobatic planes, and you can either fly them strictly for sport, or use them to move into 3D.

Check this..........

http://docaustinextreme.blogspot.com...rt-pilots.html

With this set up, the Extra EXP is not really any more difficul;t to fly than a T28, but it sure is a lot more capable. Quality wise, there is absolutely no comparison. Don't let that fact it is a 3D capable plane put you off....check the videos.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Apr 21, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
You've had a mini T28, but those are nowhere near as good as the regular sized Park Zone T28. I've flown a few of those and they are really nice airplanes, especially for the money. I think they are like $179 or so plug-n-play, so it's well under your budget. I'de say at least see if you can bumb a few laps on someone else's and I am pretty sure that will convince you it is nowhere near the same thing as the min one.

At your #250 bugfet, you're right at the point that you need to spend a little more if you want to step up, but it's a big step. For about $400 you can get into any number of really good, top quality 48" span 3D style aerobatic planes, and you can either fly them strictly for sport, or use them to move into 3D.

Check this..........

http://docaustinextreme.blogspot.com...rt-pilots.html

With this set up, the Extra EXP is not really any more difficul;t to fly than a T28, but it sure is a lot more capable. Quality wise, there is absolutely no comparison. Don't let that fact it is a 3D capable plane put you off....check the videos.
well i dont want to spend too much on a plane right now. in the future i may, but right now i cant afford it. i have no interest in 3D flight...more scale and mild aerobatics.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:05 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
well i dont want to spend too much on a plane right now. in the future i may, but right now i cant afford it.
I certainly understand. I think you'de love the regular sized Park Zone T28. Everybody loves that plane. You could get one of those and come in way under budget.

I am probably going to get one for night flying.

Quote:
i have no interest in 3D flight...more scale and mild aerobatics.
The beauty of a good scale 3D plane is that it is perfect for that. You just dial the wild throws down and move the CG forward a bit. Save that link and when you are ready to move into a high quality balsa, give it a read.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin