Quad Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba max1 View Post
Always. yum yum
Coolness. Unfortunately, grape is the one flavor of JR that I can't stand

I'll have to feed it to one of my nieces and watch my "no sugar for the kids" sister have a conniption. But if she wants me to remove the tree that fell in her back yard last storm, she'll just have to deal. I am the EVIL uncle.

-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad
Last edited by kad; Aug 03, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:31 AM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,491 Posts
no not yet he is waiting on hardware
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:18 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
no not yet he is waiting on hardware
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:46 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
Joined May 2012
675 Posts
Dial,
What size/type of fasteners did you design the motor mount holes on the mini for? They seem to be about 1.5mm in width, but nobody around here has anything even close to that small. I thought about zip ties, but can't find any that small either.

-K

("Around here" includes two LHS, two home centers, an old fashioned hardware store, a Fastenall, a Sarjo Fasteners, and a Grangers Industrial Supply.)
Last edited by kad; Aug 03, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Nov 2010
753 Posts
Wow.. I'm glad it survived..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad View Post
The prototype mini frame has arrived, along with a package from GotHeliRC with motors, ECS & props. The frame box looked like it had been sat on and was split on one corner, but the frame seems OK. FC, Batt and RX are already on hand, so I just need to get to my LHS for some wire, connectors and screws (the motors didn't come with mounting screws) and I might just get this bird in the air this weekend.

-K

BTW: This is my first time ordering from GotHeliRC. Does he usually put a Jolly Rancher candy in the box or did his lunch get mixed in?
flyhigh300 is offline Find More Posts by flyhigh300
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Nov 2010
753 Posts
Guys..

they are packaged and ready to go out ..

had some problem getting the hardware here quickly..

But they are ready..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Nov 2010
753 Posts
2mm ?

My plan was to use 2mm .. I've used them before .. and thread them into G10 ..

I use a 5/64 drill bit to drill the motor mount 2mm screw goes right through it..

drill with 1/16 bit and thread the G10 with the screw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad View Post
Dial,
What size/type of fasteners did you design the motor mount holes on the mini for? They seem to be about 1.5mm in width, but nobody around here has anything even close to that small. I thought about zip ties, but can't find any that small either.

-K

("Around here" includes two LHS, two home centers, an old fashioned hardware store, a Fastenall, a Sarjo Fasteners, and a Grangers Industrial Supply.)
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:21 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,864 Posts
Sorry.. i guess Luis did answer on that.. :P
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:56 AM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,491 Posts
Awesome
tc3wins is online now Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:43 PM
Atomic Playboy
United States, MN, Inver Grove Heights
Joined Jun 2012
218 Posts
Would it be possible to change the rear motors so they were on top and the thrust faces inward? The reason I ask is that it seems like I'm going to be breaking props by slamming them into the ground with the current design.

Could this be a future option?
signal15 is offline Find More Posts by signal15
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Jun 2012
147 Posts
Hi
I don't think that you will have that problem as I am a novice pilot to this craft and I can tell you that I have never broke a rear prop on my VTail 400mm. It doesn't end up a real problem as I have now broken 4 props and they were all on the front. This would not allow for enough room to place a prop of the right size on the VTail. Bledi who made the VTail and did all the prototype work the last few years is your best source for the reasons on that one I think. .
cmeisteriii is offline Find More Posts by cmeisteriii
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:12 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
Joined May 2012
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal15 View Post
Would it be possible to change the rear motors so they were on top and the thrust faces inward? The reason I ask is that it seems like I'm going to be breaking props by slamming them into the ground with the current design.

Could this be a future option?
The main problem I would foresee with that is that the 5" props would hit each other if the motors were top mounted. The rear arms would need to be longer and, if I understand the physics correctly, that means the front arms would also need to be longer, or possibly at a different angle. Someone with more knowledge of the physics involved please feel free to correct me.

-K
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:21 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
Joined May 2012
675 Posts
Build Progress Report

Ok, well, day one of the Mini-build did not go as fast as hoped. Finding a place with 2mm machine screws and nuts, getting to them (45 minutes away), prying myself out of the heli/multi-rotor dedicated shop with my purchase, building the power harness, filing out the mounting holes and mounting the motors has taken most of the afternoon/evening. Picture below. You can't see it in the pic, but each of the ends of the power harness hold four 2mm female bullet connectors, all soldered together, inside the heatshrink.

Dial, I really think that the motors mount slots should be pre-cut to 2mm, even if it means offering separate pieces to those using 3 bolt motors.

In case anyone else is hunting 2mm screws/nuts, the shop I got them from had them as GAUI parts. 20 of each to a package. #204570 for the screws, #204572 for the nuts. The screws are a little longer than I'd have prefered (8mm) and the nuts are not lock-nuts, but that's what loc-tite is for.

-K
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:37 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
Jesus, hurry up already.
I want to see it in the air.

LOL
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:52 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,864 Posts
Kad,
Thanks i might change it if you say so..
I was not sure how people want to mount them.
RCG Plus Member