I'm looking at this as per the FAQ.
Lordlucan is offline Find More Posts by Lordlucan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordlucan View Post
This looks interesting.. let me know how you get on
camenthusiast is offline Find More Posts by camenthusiast
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
del
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Oct 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
The Lens D, Lens B or lens A?

If Lens D, it has two threaded areas, at the base of the Module, and at the lens top. You may need some type of agent to get the locktite or glue off. You can use unconventional ways to do so, I chose a nice water pumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOBM6ioc-js

like said unconventional way
Lens B and thanks for the heads up, i'll look into it.
camenthusiast is offline Find More Posts by camenthusiast
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Just looking at the the "external power" post in the FAQ. Is this still up to date? I noticed the Just Mobile Gum Pro is still rather ridiculously priced.
Yes, the post is up-to-date. It was last updated one month ago. You can always see when a post was last updated by scrolling to the bottom of the post.
In the meantime there are obviously more external USB power supplies available, and if you don't need to easily fill a 32GB card using one single battery, or you want something a little lighter, go ahead and buy a cheaper battery. It is not my intention to list more USB power supplies which come and go. The Gum Pro is still available, unlike many other units.

The Gum Pro is indeed rather expensive, but my original almost 3 year-old Gum Pro can still easily record well over 10 hours despite it's age and use. I had other batteries that never kept up this long. It's the only external USB battery I trust. I also use it for other devices.

Quote:
That's exactly the one I pictured in my "The definite Guide to Power connectors, charging, and other power related questions". I still have it, but I was never really happy with it. After a few months of use it didn't seem to hold a full charge like when it was new and it was too week for my purposes anyway. It's also a bit bigger but thinner than the Gum Pro but also much lighter. I also don't like the push-out USB charging plug which you can see in the third picture on your link. Yes, it also has a socket for charging, but the socket uses a non-standard round-pin plug. I'm not keen on proprietary USB connections, but maybe that's just me. The standard USB push-out plug makes a messy connection and hardly ever fits where I want it to fit. I much prefer the short USB extension cable from the Gum Pro. But it works, and if you don't need more than max. 5 hours of battery power it's a good choice and is light. In the meantime there are so many different USB battery backups available. I'm sure most of them work perfectly, so it's best to chose what suits you best.

As an additional note, there are no LEDs indicating the state of charge. The state of charge may be important to you or not. There is only one LED. It will be off while charging the #16 but is on when the camera is turned on. At least that's what mine does. So, if you charge your #16 you will be draining the USB power supply without knowing it.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
del
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Oct 2010
18 Posts
Thanks losprop. I hope I didn't offend with my question. Think I'll cancel my DX order and get the Gum Pro so. If I did buy the Gum Pro and set my #16 to record with motion detect and audio off can you estimate how long recording time I'd get? Since I only have a 16GB MicroSD at the moment I'm guessing that would fill up before the charge went? Thanks again mate!
Lordlucan is offline Find More Posts by Lordlucan
Last edited by Lordlucan; Nov 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Thanks losprop. I hope I didn't offend with my question. Think I'll cancel my DX order and get the Gum Pro so. If I did buy the Gum Pro and set my #16 to record with motion detect and audio out can you estimate how long recording time I'd get? Since I only have a 16GB MicroSD at the moment I'm guessing that would fill up before the charge went? Thanks again mate!
This question has been asked a number of times, and it cannot be answered definitively because the camera uses a lot more power when it is actually recording something. So if the camera were just idling waiting to sense motion without recording much of the time, it would last a lot longer than if it were sensing motion continuously and recording continuously, which would consume about the same amount of power as when just recording a normal video.

When recording normal video with the quality bit rate set at 7Mbps, the camera will consume about 53 MB of card space per minute, which would fill the 16GB card in about 300 min. (about 5 hours). Also, the camera consumes about 300-325 mA while recording, so in 5 hours it would consume about 1500-1625 mAh. These are approximate numbers, but should help when picking an external power pack. The camera's internal 250 mAh battery can only power the camera for about 43 min. max. when fully charged (and healthy!)
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 18, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:26 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,178 Posts
Fishycomics,

Your last video "How to take off the lens D and replace on again (5 min 19 sec)" at 2min55sec.
I gotta pull you up. The tool you refer as Vice Grips are actually called Multigrips, unless they

Your technque for not not cross-threading fine threads by gently rotating anti-clock then gently clockwise until a smooth take is felt, is spot on. As in never 'force' the thing, but instead gently go back and forth until it feels 'right' then continue screwing it on.

Am I not just wonderfully resource to complement your video tips, which make a hell of lot more sense than your text based tips! - LOL

I was going to include video of a boring #16 Cam flight on my Bixler (which does not including a crash or fire - just my fine airmanship - erm yeah right!), so I thought I spare everyone the 4 minutes of boredom and give you this 10 second read and picture of some tools.

This from a person been up all night bored waiting the USA Formula 1 race to start at 6am AUS local time. 1pm US time depending where you are, East, Central West. The race is in 'AUSTIN' and I dunno where that is and time zone it's in!- Mark Webber to win, I've got 20 bucks him at paying $13 odds. With that $260 I'll be able to buy a few more #16 V2 and a few all these lenses you guys are playing with, at this stage all my Cams rock stock, other than the FW updates.

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
del
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:49 PM
United Kingdom, England, Norfk
Joined Mar 2012
43 Posts
is this a HD?

Hi, just looking around on ebay & found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-GB-HD-S...item20c2b4b1ec if you look at the video you will see that it is not 808#16 HD, uless I got it wrong.

pintail.
pintail1 is online now Find More Posts by pintail1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
While on the subject of searching around.....

If it is a take off or not it is a more compact case I like to see on the #16.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Sep 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
If you "prepare" the camera, the GUI will use the old config file method. You should not do this if you want plug-and-play functionality - but it's there for those who need to create a config file. Nothing buggy in either the software or the firmware....

Make sure there is no config file on your disk, or, better still, format the disk using the GUI to rid the disk of any config file. It's all fully automatic using USB communication.

If you use firmware 0.49 or greater, start the GUI and then plug in the camera - or vice versa. The camera will always be automatically recognized. You don't need to do any button presses - it's fully automatic!

Tip: The line under the drive selection window, where the firmware date and version is shown, should include "(USB)" just before the firmware version. If it doesn't, the software has found an old configuration file and will use that instead of plug-and-play. If you use the latest GUI and firmware you never need to do any button presses because the software communicates directly with the camera.
hi isoprop, thanks for the reply. I've done all that and succeeded in using the new firmware and used the new gui. when re-checking the config in the cam it shows the correct selections i made including motion sensor but doesn't function. just keeps recording till i manually stop it as per normal.
every time i've installed the new fimware i've started by formatting in camera just to be sure.
brianvc is offline Find More Posts by brianvc
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
del
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:49 PM.