HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2006, 08:38 PM
North Coast NSW, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
208 Posts
Discussion
Aeroflyte Brolga 2

Has anyone had any experience with this 2 metre sailplane? I'm currently building my second one.
aerohydro is offline Find More Posts by aerohydro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2006, 08:59 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,132 Posts
I had one.

Loved it.

But I was young and stupid, I sold it to buy a set of fullee sik subwoofas for my car.

stupid, stupid child.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:20 AM
Joined Jun 2004
208 Posts
Have you had any other sailplane experience you can compare it to? Did you build it with the extra wing sheeting?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Leon.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 08:02 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,132 Posts
Yeah I did a few modifications to make sure the old girl wasn't going to blow up on a bungee.

I did use the extra sheeting, and I made sure that I had nice radiused corners, no sharp corners, as they're potential break points, I added some extra scrap trailing edge stock to the rudder to give me a little bit of authority, and apart from that, just flew her pretty much stock.

I've had a fair few 2m ships in my time, GL's, SL's, Tintara's, Super Turkeys (I've got super turkeys on the brain) and a bunch of OD's, and the brolga is a nice flyer. It's a strong little ship, but you've gotta keep it light, Aeroflyte always overdesigned their models.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 01:44 AM
Joined Jun 2004
208 Posts
The brolga is my first sailplane, I built it a couple of years ago and have only recently found an excellent flying site. The first one I built is completely standard with the extra sheeting. It seems to fly pretty well considering the hopeless job I did building it. The one I'm working on now is going to be much lighter. I've just about halved the amount of balsa in the fuselage, left off the extra sheeting and lightened the ribs. I want this to be a real floater. I'll use the wing from my first one for heavy launches, but I mostly hand launch anyway.

From the photos I've looked at the Brolga seems to be a pretty similar design to the Gentle Lady. How does it compare in flight?

Also I've been considering electrifying one of my Brolgas with a Cdrom motor and Lipo power. Could anyone give me an idea of what gear would be suitable?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 02:40 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,132 Posts
Sorry mate, can't give you many ideas on what to expect in terms of electrifying it.

The GL is a little lighter, but they'll thermal like their a pidgeon pair.

Don't go too hard on the structure, make sure you leave in the good bits, like mainspars!!!
Old Jun 13, 2006, 06:07 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
309 Posts
The brolga was my first sailplane, believe it or not built a little over 20 yrs ago, and it still flies!!

I have at different times used a power pod with a norvel .061 spinning a 6x3 prop for a gentle climb, so if you can get something to match that power preferably using a larger folding prop you should do ok.

Good luck,
Steve
Lunns is offline Find More Posts by Lunns
Old Jun 14, 2006, 05:04 PM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,571 Posts
I`ve got a Brolga . It was my first kit model . Took me forever to build & I went & busted the wing on its first flight , I was a shattered man but it turned out to be an easy repair . I always thought the rudder was a bit small for it & it had very poor penetration into a headwind . Most flights were off a bungie & a couple off the slope . I`ve still got the plane minus the servos . Maybe the Brolga 2 has got a bigger rudder .
I`d look at a geared 480 motor on 8 gp1100 or kan 1050 cells or even a 3s lipo .Geared 480`s used to be a common off the shelf item at most hobby shops & even used to include a folding prop . Not so sure nowadays though since the brushless invasion .
dingo is offline Find More Posts by dingo
Old Jun 14, 2006, 05:35 PM
Joined Jun 2004
208 Posts
I think the 2 just means 2 metres. I've heard of a larger Brolga Aeroflyte makes, 3m I think.

I really want to power this thing with a homemade brushless setup of some sort, but since I'm new to this I'd like to get started with CD motors before I do any machining. I probably need to build a smaller plane to practice with.

Thanks,

Leon.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 02:09 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,132 Posts
No, there is no larger brolga, it's an albatross once you go over 2m.

as for smaller planes for CD motors, I suggest you follow me to the foamies section!

much to chose from!
Old Jun 17, 2006, 06:46 AM
Joined Jun 2004
208 Posts
progress

Here's a horrible picture of the wing and fuse of my new brolga. Note the added lightness.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:03 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,132 Posts
double post
Last edited by Curare; Jun 18, 2006 at 11:06 PM. Reason: double post
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:05 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,132 Posts
Looking good, but very light!!.

If I were you I'd add some shear webs to those spars!
Old Jun 19, 2006, 03:41 AM
Joined Jun 2004
208 Posts
Yeah I still need to put them in. I now have the vertical stab and rudder done as well. My servos should arrive in a couple of days so perhaps not too long before it's in the air.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 07:54 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,132 Posts
I loan you some 507's