HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:17 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn2626 View Post
Ok, I guess I'm back to the drawing board again.

I believe you, it's just that I don't understand how a good 3D program (like Sketchup) can't also be a good 2D program.

Or am I just going to have to get used to the fact that nothing does both well, and have to learn two different products ?
SketchUp was designed as an architectural modeler, it is not a CAD program at all. Certainly not as any sort of parametric mechanical design tool.

That it has been bent, twisted, stretched, banged on and otherwise mangled... and STILL works great for a number of purposes, is a tribute to the the original developers for making it capable of accepting third-party plugins and to the user base that has done so.

Had it been developed by Apple for example, everyone would be screwed. (I wouldn't have pissed on Steve Jobs if he were on fire while he was still alive by the way. )

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:47 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,743 Posts
Having run a laser for a while I can just recommend that you do cutting directly from a 2D drawing of the cut files.

Converting the 3D sketchup file for output to DXF isn't hard, it's just that if there is an issue it involves a lot of steps to fix it.

The other issue is it is difficult in Sketchup to see exactly what is send to the laser for cutting unless you view it as a 2D file from another program.

If you are working directly from the 2D cad program it is a couple of mouse clicks to fix and WYSIWYG.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:13 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,444 Posts
Camera > Parallel Projection
Camera > Standard Views > Top
Draw in 2D.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Mar 27, 2014, 09:14 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,743 Posts
Yes, you can draw in 2D, it is just difficult to get files sent to the laser correctly from sketchup.

So, you draw, export a file, hope it is translated correctly, and cut. If not correct, then you have to do the sequence again.

Easier to export to a 2D program that uses the format directly and send to the laser.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb