HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:22 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,859 Posts
Build Log
Westland Lysander - Hutson/Traplet plan

Boy what a weak excuse! Thinking the Duncan Huston Avro Anson was a bit advanced, I chose a 'simpler' model by the same designer as a trial run........but truly folks, I just like building While the Christmas specials were on at Traplet Australia (20% discount iirc) I looked for another design I liked and as I'd already terminated my old Lizzie build, a 'new' Lizzie was acquired. At about $150 for the plan, mouldings and wood pack, it seemed like a bargain (and a Christmas present!)
Although the laser-cut bits are few, they cover the worst part of a Lysander - all those fragile and every-one-different wing ribs! Also, the set includes a very nice cowl complete with rivets, catches and exhaust fairing, a HUGE canopy and best of all - FG wheel spats - most of the hard parts done. All that is needed is to follow the plan and glue it together - right? Wrong. This is not a slot-and-tab design but merely a bunch of parts produced from a hand-drawn plan complete with minor errors, misinterpretations and a few omissions. Nevertheless, after a few weeks work, the fuselage is largely completed and that daunting wing awaits!
The model is approx 1/8 scale and 70" span. Designed for .46 4 stroke and weighing under 3kg it seemed easily adapted to electric. So here are some pictures of what was bought and the aircraft I want to reproduce (same as my aborted one)

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Oct 23, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:06 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,308 Posts
Ok Pat,

let me get my easy chair and coffee. This looks to be a good build thread.

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:21 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,859 Posts
Probably not much of a build description George - i was doing this one a bit under the radar - I get embarrassed having about 4 unfinished build threads going! But what the hell - it's my life
The frame is classic 1930's - a square box with wooden formers around it to give it shape. I used 3/16 sq. rather than 1/4 as shown on the plan - save a fraction of an ounce. The tailplane was made next as it has to fit into a tailplane-shaped space cut into the completed frame! Then the difficult centre wing support structure. The Lizzie is really a parasol wing with a glazed bit over everything! The wing support is of 1/8 wire and brass tube all soldered together - I used a jig to be sure the wing dowels were at the right incidence.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:25 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,308 Posts
Ah, to master the jig. Looks like you have that one figured out. Are the Cowl and the Spats fiberglass or vacuformed? They look to be the same as the Annie.

I have started the drawing setup for the Martin and the Viking. I have settled on 1/20 scale for both. Makes wing spans near 54"-56" I will be inserting the images into AutoCAD LT to do the work. Nice part about Martin is that the main cabin section is a basic circle, not an elipse.

Hey,

If you don't have at least 4 projects going your not a modeler What's my excuse, I have 6 -7 projects going...

George
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:31 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG97322 View Post
Hey,

If you don't have at least 4 projects going your not a modeler What's my excuse, I have 6 -7 projects going...

George
You're just saying that to make me feel better George

Those rarer aircraft sound like a nice project - I'll be keeping an eye on them....

The cowl etc are FG - same as the Anson

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:13 PM
Ay up it's warped
Derbyshire UK
Joined Feb 2003
1,306 Posts
Oh Pat, you do start building some lovely aircraft (I only have two part builds and a repair). A lipo fire after a hefty crash did for my 48" version
mtbrider is offline Find More Posts by mtbrider
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:38 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,859 Posts
Character Building Exercise...

Mtb - I've always had a soft spot for Lizzies and felt bad after stopping the previous build when it didn't work for me. Hopefully this one will be finished

Just to prove that I can be a complete klutz, these three pictures show the completed centre struts, the simple self-springing ug legs AND what happens when my lack of peripheral vision allows an elbow to knock it all off the bench onto the concrete floor

Damage was maximal! ALL four longerons snapped between the firewall and the next former, EVERY cross member broke away AND I cursed just a little

But a couple of day's work spliced in some 3/16 spruce for the forward longerons and the entire box fuselage was rebuilt but it was never quite as accurate as the first effort where I had declared I'd take it slower than usual and do everything in a more craftsman-like manner than usual. I even used Titebond rather than CA (perhaps that's why it fell apart ) Anyway it is now all back together.........

All very character building.........

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:18 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,859 Posts
I'm eking out these pictures to give me a chance to get a bit more done before we're back to real time! The nose area had some rounded formers attached and was then sheeted/planked with soft 1/8 balsa. I'm still deciding whether to glass this area for some extra strength or not...
The fuselage then had all its top, side and bottom semi-formers added before the stringers were to be applied. Huston doesn't notch for stringers - they are shown on the plan views and cross sections - you just glue them in place as accurately as possible. Pictures later

The servos, both standard size, were fitted as low as possible to clear the cockpit - just in case I wanted to detail it later. A rather large hatch exposes all the belly area for access to battery, servos, UC mounting, rx etc. This was planked and held in place with a peg and 4 small magnets.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:52 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,026 Posts
Target Tug colors Pleeeeeeaaaase!
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:50 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,859 Posts
A Lot of Sticks...

Mark - back in post #1, I showed my two preferred schemes - both are tugs but British wartime schemes. One is RN and the other RAF - standard camo on top and sides and the glorious diagonal black and yellow stripes underneath. Should be no problem seeing which side is up

The stringers were added using 1/8 x 1/16 spruce underneath and on the top spine to help minimise handling damage. The rest are hard balsa same size. As stated, Hutson doesn't notch the formers for the stringers but sheeted bits go on first and notches were cut in the sheeting to fix the stringers on the same former. A lot of work but only one former to support sheet and stringer.....

I had sprayed the interior framing interior green before adding the stringers as these were usually left as wood colour. A 1mm balsa floor was added in the gunner/winch operators area.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:32 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Good progress signing in for two reasons. A Maltone quality build and for the subject. Always liked the Lysander. Now where's my popcorn...

raipe
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:03 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,026 Posts
I was thinking this one

http://www.warplane.com/pages/restor...ate_final.html
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:14 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
That target tug scheme is my favourite! If I ever have a Lizzie in my hangar, that's the scheme she'll wear.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:36 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,308 Posts
Hate to sound like a kiss a*&# but I with you Pat. I like the idea of the standard camo on top and the tug yellow and black underneath...

It would be real hard to mistake the side your looking at...

George
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:49 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG97322 View Post
Hey,

If you don't have at least 4 projects going your not a modeler.

George
Ha! Let's see, i have a Guillow's B-17 and Zero part-built, an Earl Stahl Hurricane at 90%, an own-design FW-189 at about 60%, and Guillow's Hellcat and Spitfire awaiting repairs, on top of the Lancaster that's my current build.

Clearly, I'm a modeller

Pat, this looks like it's going to be a nice build. Subscribed!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85