SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Multiplex Sonic Liner clone?
I'd strongly consider buying one 76 54.68%
I would possibly consider buying one 31 22.30%
no interest 29 20.86%
other thoughts- explain in your post 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:07 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
Hmmm,I really don't see the correlation between 'injection molding' and 'expanded bead molding' (for lack of a more correct industry term).
Injection molding is for those cute,non-flying,miniature replicas I used to assemble as a lad.
Usually made with styrene formulations heated until liquified & pumped into various mold cavities.
Nothing like a 'pellet' of a custom formulated PP/PE resin blend,which is placed into a cavity and subjected to various pressures (or lack thereof ) and temperatures to induce a 'pop-corn' effect.
Different techniques,materials,equipment,tooling yada yada yada,and not comparable.Or apples & oranges if that helps you.
Skies
Jay.

Ok,so I dont know the difference between the various methods of molding,at least I tried ,which is more than any body else ,including at least one supposed expert on the subject did ...
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:27 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
Ok,so I dont know the difference between the various methods of molding,at least I tried ,which is more than any body else ,including at least one supposed expert on the subject did ...
FWIW dad, it's not just methods.Materials really drive what techniques/processes need to be or can be used.
And you don't know who or whom has done what, or is doing, now or in the past, or in the future regarding out of production toy airplanes so spare yourself the strain of patting yourself on the back.
daddiozz,I've only recently become aware of your presence here on RCGroups and I can already see you are a detriment to the groups.
Congratulations.
Skies
Jay.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:56 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,947 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for looking up the pricing on that process...it was a worthy attempt. Is there a similar application for foam molding? There might be...
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Thanks for looking up the pricing on that process...it was a worthy attempt. Is there a similar application for foam molding? There might be...
I'm sure that there is ,but as Airborne pointed out ,my knowledge is somewhat limited in that regard.Since he seems to be more knowledgable on the subject ,perhaps he can weigh in and enlighten us ...
Last edited by daddiozz; Dec 16, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:33 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
daddiozz,I've only recently become aware of your presence here on RCGroups and I can already see you are a detriment to the groups.
Congratulations.
Skies
Jay.
You think I'm detrimental?You should come down and visit in the basement sometime ....I'm a noob compared to some of the masters down there...

BTW ,you might want to check the site rules ,unless I'm mistaken your comment could be construed as a personal attack.
Last edited by daddiozz; Dec 16, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:51 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
All this talk about MPX and Sonic Liners have put me in a building mood.I think ,I'm going to go down to my LHS and buy the Parkzone Mosquito,gut it and use the guts to build a flat foamie mini-sonic liner.I'll keep y'all posted.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,947 Posts
Quote:
All this talk about MPX and Sonic Liners have put me in a building mood.I think ,I'm going to go down to my LHS and buy the Parkzone Mosquito,gut it and use the guts to build a flat foamie mini-sonic liner.I'll keep y'all posted.
Good plan...that would make an awesome ultra micro.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:27 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,947 Posts
So Windrider.hk has a link to send them suggestions... So already it looks like they're receptive to input.

Im composing an email to get send to them withn the next couple of days. Please pass along anythng you think I should be sure to include.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:53 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
So Windrider.hk has a link to send them suggestions... So already it looks like they're receptive to input.

Im composing an email to get send to them withn the next couple of days. Please pass along anythng you think I should be sure to include.
I'd include the fact that there are over 5000 views of this thread discussing the issue....thats a lot of potential customers definitely interested in the model.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:19 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
I'd include the fact that there are over 5000 views of this thread discussing the issue....thats a lot of potential customers definitely interested in the model.
Views mean nothing. You can even manipulate views by pressing the refresh button.

Fact is, that out of 449.188 RCG users, less than 60 expressed their interest in a Sonicliner.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:58 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,947 Posts
Quote:
Not a bad idea. the view count is pretty staggering... Unfortunately, most of this discussion has been an argument between a few of us who would really like to see the plane cloned and one guy who was "just trying to help" by stating over and over again that it wasn't popular at the time that it originally came out which probably has little to do with if this model should be reintroduced in 2013 for the myriad of reasons mentioned.

So the thread itself was trolled and ruined. Do you think that it's a good idea to draw Ming's attention here? I'm just not sure.

I suspect that the Sonic Liner/Sonic Cruiser design may stand on its own merits, along with the recently emerging desirability/collectibility of this model.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:29 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Not a bad idea. the view count is pretty staggering... Unfortunately, most of this discussion has been an argument between a few of us who would really like to see the plane cloned and one guy who was "just trying to help" by stating over and over again that it wasn't popular at the time that it originally came out which probably has little to do with if this model should be reintroduced in 2013 for the myriad of reasons mentioned.

So the thread itself was trolled and ruined. Do you think that it's a good idea to draw Ming's attention here? I'm just not sure.

I suspect that the Sonic Liner/Sonic Cruiser design may stand on its own merits, along with the recently emerging desirability/collectibility of this model.
Well,we always could go back and redact those posts involved in the "trolling " although that would only eliminate half of those ,I dont imagine the other guy that "controls" the other half of those posts would do the same considering not only his apparent opposition to the cloning of the SL*but his ego as well.....Ming might find that part of the thread rather amusing as well,who knows?I suspect though that if he were to view this thread ,he'd skim thru the first couple pages ,and note that there is definitely an interest in seeing the SL resurrected,and discount much of the discussion by the opposition for what it is. The view count alone with convince me .

The thing is ,discounting my abortive attempt to rationalise the costs associated with tooling up a new venture like this...is the fact ,the costs involved couldn't be too staggering ,otherwise companies like Horizon and Hobby King and Dynam wouldn't continue to produce the planes they do in the numbers they do.In the case of Horizon ,they have dozens of planes they continue to produce ,their relatively new trend towards micro planes may soon out strip their larger planes ...I for one own most of the micro series now with my recent purchase of the Mosquito ,even if I do strip it down .If Ming produced a micro version of the SL ,I suspect it would have a much greater following than the original especially in a RTF .I imagine a micro would be cheaper to produce too.

I'm loving this ignore function ,I see he has weighed in with some other comment below ,but since he's on my ignore list ,I havent a clue its content.

*Whats really up with that anyway? Does he have a personal stake in MPX/ownership-stock in the company perhaps? and doesnt want to see sales go elsewhere?His vehement opposition seems to go a long way towards keeping the SL permanently off the market .
Last edited by daddiozz; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
His vehement opposition seems to go a long way towards keeping the SL permanently off the market .
What makes you think that I want to keep an SL off the market?

I was merely providing reasons why the SL "flopped" back then and why it would most likely flop again, if someone would put it on the market again. That's all in a nutshell.

As mentioned before, a Twin-Jet II - with a more symmetrical wing-section and optimised for brushless power and LiPo batteries - would be a much more suitable candidate for re-production.

Jürgen
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:31 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Views mean nothing. You can even manipulate views by pressing the refresh button.

Fact is, that out of 449.188 RCG users, less than 60 expressed their interest in a Sonicliner.

Jürgen
wow" your like a robot." straight to the point you put out the facts whether a person likes it or not . you remind me of spock

i like the sonic but i dont belive it will come back out its one of those planes that came out before its time and now its time has passed
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
wow" your like a robot." straight to the point you put out the facts whether a person likes it or not . you remind me of spock
I am not too sure whether I should take that as a compliment, but as I am a fan of Leonard Nimoy, I like it. Thanks!

Jürgen