SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Apr 2011
79 Posts
Discussion
paint?

do you guys use tamiya paint on the tamiya tanks and follow there instructions...or is there another brand thats used?....i think the weathered look is awesome but i havnt seen the m26 done like the others.
hailo01 is offline Find More Posts by hailo01
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:42 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
1,005 Posts
I use the Model Master paints. There are a lot of guys that use the Tamyia paints also. Your choice.
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:02 AM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
587 Posts
In the rattle cans (which I am still using) I'll use either Testors, Model Masters (which is almost the same) or Tamiya ... just depending on what shade or color I want. Painting an Allied tank (which is what a Pershing is) there are some many versions of Olive Drab (OD) to choose from so why limit yourself to one brand.

Sealing the weathering and decals with Dull Cote also will affect the final outcome too. I know my first Sherman I painted it 3 times, not that I didn't test the color first ... I did. It just took the 3rd time was the charm.

And don't be fooled by the color on the cap either. Also, final color/tint will also be affected by the type and shade of primer you use.

This is when it gets fun! Now I know what I have to look forward to when I finish my paint booth and get to mix paint.

Hope this helped!

~ Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Apr 2011
79 Posts
damn.....now im scared to paint this. theres so many variables ands chances for it look like crap
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
587 Posts
You will do fine. It was not meant to scare or alarm you but to give you a heads up on what to expect.

Get some plastic sheets and practise, but don't spend too much time and money on that. It'll only matter in a side-by-side comparison.

Just let us know what era you want to build your tank from and we'll go from there. WWII Allied tanks usually are a dark green while Korean tanks are a little darker.

Tamiya sprays are usually much more money but really give a nice finish. You will find that out when you practise a few sheets.

~ Jeff
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2008
112 Posts
Painting is an art, and there's no wrong answer, just what works for you. I airbrush paint my tanks and use Tamiya Acrylics in the 3/4 oz bottle.

I taught myself to airbrush using spare cardboard boxes. As Panther F suggests, just get in there and practice.

Fortunately, most Pershings were painted plain ol' olive drab, so it's an easy base coat. Prime, paint and seal. You can weather it (if desired) afterward.
jeff489 is offline Find More Posts by jeff489
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:42 PM
So many tanks, so little money
Joined Oct 2009
189 Posts
I too airbrush my builds and then use different techniques to weather them, including MIG priducts, and AK-interactive products. Experience is the best teacher, but learning a bit before you start is important as well. techniques can be taught to a point, but you have to actually do it and see how things go. I learned a lot from the guys who were in the hobby before I got here. There are some amazing pinters out there...and most will be happy to share the techniques with you. Here is my Tamiya Perhsing and an M4A3 Sherman I built.

Yellowshaker is offline Find More Posts by Yellowshaker
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:19 AM
Joined Apr 2011
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowshaker View Post
I too airbrush my builds and then use different techniques to weather them, including MIG priducts, and AK-interactive products. Experience is the best teacher, but learning a bit before you start is important as well. techniques can be taught to a point, but you have to actually do it and see how things go. I learned a lot from the guys who were in the hobby before I got here. There are some amazing pinters out there...and most will be happy to share the techniques with you. Here is my Tamiya Perhsing and an M4A3 Sherman I built.

those are bad on bad, i wish i could do that
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:27 AM
Drammen rock city. Norway
Joined Aug 2009
238 Posts
I use tamiya paint's and a cheap Hobbyking airbrush.
This is just a 1/48 scale KT I have been working on while waiting for my 1/16 KT to show up.
I plan to do the same just in bigger scale with the 1/16. Tamiya + mig powder.
maxmekker is offline Find More Posts by maxmekker
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Aug 2009
238 Posts
This is my HL 1/16 I did some years ago. Same cheap HK airbrush and mig powder.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailo01 View Post
those are bad on bad, i wish i could do that
Did you receive your tank yet?

~ Jeff
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Aug 2009
238 Posts
If you mean me, nope. hoped for today, but it will be next tuesday.100% :-)
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Apr 2011
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
Did you receive your tank yet?

~ Jeff
yes it came, i was in arizona racing for a week, but yes its here and so is the new book. i bought F.A.Q.for painting techniques 2...these guys are awesome. the tank looks awesome i cant wait to get started...ive been wrenching and racing for the past week so ill get to it in a few days. its wife time dont want her to kill me before i even start it
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
Me Toby You?
Jacksonville FL
Joined Jan 2011
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmekker View Post
I use tamiya paint's and a cheap Hobbyking airbrush.
This is just a 1/48 scale KT I have been working on while waiting for my 1/16 KT to show up.
I plan to do the same just in bigger scale with the 1/16. Tamiya + mig powder.

Sorry to to get into your thread but what airbrush was it you used. I see it was a quote "cheap one". Personally, Im not into this type of "tank" thing but the quality of all your paint work on the tanks are incredible. They look so real. Movie like almost,

Toby
Toby Warren is offline Find More Posts by Toby Warren
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Aug 2009
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Warren View Post
Sorry to to get into your thread but what airbrush was it you used. I see it was a quote "cheap one". Personally, Im not into this type of "tank" thing but the quality of all your paint work on the tanks are incredible. They look so real. Movie like almost,

Toby
Not my tread so dont' worry m8.
first , thanks a lot for the kind words, either I got lucky, ore I just got lucky :-)
I have no real experience , done some modeling while I was young, (before age 15) but that did not look great, ok, but not great. I have been doing a railroad for a while now, and building scenery and houses using the same cheap airbrush+ some mig stuff:

HO buildings (2 min 9 sec)

HO railroad cactus valley copy part 4 (0 min 45 sec)

The AB is this one,
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9294

I also just got this one :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10340

I feel it has a slightly larger overspray than the tg-130 AB, so it will be used for larger area.