SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:54 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,098 Posts
Discussion
Wires from ESC to Motor

Hi Guys, can anyone tell me what the 3 wires from the ESC to the motor are for, I know if I turn a couple round it will make the motor rotate in the opposite direction (can use on pusher with std prop)

The wires from the Motor are colours BLACK, YELLOW and RED but the ones from the ESC are all BLACK

CAN I GET THESE WRONG and do any damage?

Thanks

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:28 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
CAN I GET THESE WRONG and do any damage?

Thanks

Lockey
In a word, no. Hook up all 3 wires, don't worry about colors. Run the motor. If it runs backwards, then reverse any 2 of them. Doesn't matter which 2 that you reverse, it will reverse the rotation of the motor.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:34 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,098 Posts
Thanks Tony, just didn't want to screw the moter by doing the wrong thing

By the way, are you guys putting LONG wires onto the ESC to move up to the front on pusher designs?

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Oct 14, 2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:21 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,763 Posts
you'll see debate about long motor-esc vs long battery-esc. i follow what keith shaw has taught me... that it's better to extend the motor-esc and keep the battery-esc short. i don't understand the physics behind it, but apparently, with longer battery-esc wires, there is the potential for voltage spikes that can kill your esc. on the motor-esc side, if things get messed up, all that will happen is that the motor may not run smoothly, but you don't lose any of your components. with that being said, you'll see people all over doing one or the other or both. for the typical lengths that we use in our park jets, it probably doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of difference. for super large builds, it may start to play some role. just my 2 cents.
-beanie
beanie is online now Find More Posts by beanie
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:50 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,098 Posts
Thanks Beani, sounds feasible, cheers mate

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:14 AM
Australia, NSW, Plumpton
Joined Jan 2008
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfing View Post
in a word, no. Hook up all 3 wires, don't worry about colors. Run the motor. If it runs backwards, then reverse any 2 of them. Doesn't matter which 2 that you reverse, it will reverse the rotation of the motor.

Tony

nope but you should care at least center cable, from esc center cable should be motor center cable , rest red and black you can connect any site, see the air flow where you want ( backword or front)
aqkhana2002 is offline Find More Posts by aqkhana2002
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:37 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqkhana2002 View Post
nope but you should care at least center cable, from esc center cable should be motor center cable , rest red and black you can connect any site, see the air flow where you want ( backword or front)
Incorrect. That does not matter at all. Hook them up, any order does not matter. If direction of spin is wrong then swap any two - just as he says.

And correct battery wires short - motor wires long is considered best for the health of your ESC when you need more wire.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:46 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,098 Posts
Thanks Guys, I am almost ready to fly now

See: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post19599792

Lockey