HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2011, 03:49 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
helios victory

hi,

second national contest held today and 3 helios's in top 5

i myself was 1st till task 6 then because of 2 rounds where a left some points dropped to place 3 still 98.2% score, and then i had a tip strike in the last round , i guess my ranking was above my skill's and tried to hard to keep myself up there ...

last round lost a lot of points and lost a place 4th in the overall ranking , but still a very good ranking .

contest winner (helios) is a very skilled pilot that showed us what the helios was capable of, altough he doesn't have much sticktime with the helios yet he sure beat us good.

-kristof-
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 03:55 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,473 Posts
Yeah, I was impressed with Peter's flying. The Helios certainly did not hamper him in any way... I was impressed with your "stress test" as well
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old May 29, 2011, 05:48 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,769 Posts
Congratulations!
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old May 29, 2011, 10:14 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
I got a chance to look at Kyle's Helios on Saturday, both airplanes are very very nice and fly equally nice. If the fuselage nose gets lengthened an inch or so it will be golden. I need to spend more time flying my Zone V2 but I think this is the way forward and getting a Helio's just made my priority list.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old May 30, 2011, 01:34 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
I got a chance to look at Kyle's Helios on Saturday, both airplanes are very very nice and fly equally nice. If the fuselage nose gets lengthened an inch or so it will be golden. I need to spend more time flying my Zone V2 but I think this is the way forward and getting a Helio's just made my priority list.
hi,

i don't now if a longer nose would be better, i think maneuvreability and launchheight will suffer , would it be needfull to get have a lightweight helios?

i will find out anywhere soon as i was planning to build me a lightweight one with stretched nose but i don't expect to be better other then on a deadcalmorning or evening (and even then i'm not sure)

-kristof-
Old May 30, 2011, 10:23 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Nov 2006
723 Posts
Quote:
Why do you need a longer nose?
FD Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FD Pilot
Old May 30, 2011, 11:31 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
The one I looked at had a fair bit of ballast in the nose to get the c.g right. Granted it was a 2S LiFe pack so pretty light to begin with. Nose seemed short compared with Taboo, Blaster 3 and Akcent 2 pods but I didn't stick them all next to each other for a direct comparison. Are most people sticking with NiMH in this bird? I think I'm done with Lithium for now, my last experience suggests the convenience factor isn't worth the headache of wiring, booster/BEC's and low voltage alarms.

I would like to state that the build quality is fantastic and the price I've heard makes it a bargain in the high performance field.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old May 30, 2011, 11:46 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
hi sam,

nose is indeed shorter then the ones you mentioned and it needs a 500 mah nimh pack to balance it out .

keeping the mass centered was the idea behind it to launch high and turn very easy on a small radius circle .

i like the nimh packs because of their simplicety and they can take a complete discharge (when i forget to unplug after flying)

-kristof-

Quote:
The one I looked at had a fair bit of ballast in the nose to get the c.g right. Granted it was a 2S LiFe pack so pretty light to begin with. Nose seemed short compared with Taboo, Blaster 3 and Akcent 2 pods but I didn't stick them all next to each other for a direct comparison. Are most people sticking with NiMH in this bird? I think I'm done with Lithium for now, my last experience suggests the convenience factor isn't worth the headache of wiring, booster/BEC's and low voltage alarms.

I would like to state that the build quality is fantastic and the price I've heard makes it a bargain in the high performance field.
Old May 30, 2011, 03:54 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,426 Posts
I think Sam really liked my planes this weekend lol. Again, they flew very well in the wide range of conditions that we experienced, from light to heavy to windy and back to light then back to heavy and back to windy lol. I flew the number 1 for the majority of the day with 40 grams of ballast in it and with CG at 75mm. It flew very honestly and very well, making a couple of saves I would've never thought was possible. Sam timed for me in one round where it was a 5 minute max, for 3 minutes I was just a tree heighth and had to work for a long time before it finally broke. In another round of AULD, the Helios made a heroic come back from deep down wind that took over a minute to get back. To be honest, the more I fly these things the less I think there is a need for one that weighs much less than these already do.
Wave Glider is online now Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old May 30, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
kyle,

coming back from downwind is a big advantage of the helios/zonev2 airfoils , when you have 40 grams in it there's a big advantage over empty , i think a lighter plane completely would kill this capability .

only deadcalm weather with very little thermal activity could be better when lighter , but i'm not sure it would , you would lose launchheight and have to make up for that so.....

-kristof-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider View Post
I think Sam really liked my planes this weekend lol. Again, they flew very well in the wide range of conditions that we experienced, from light to heavy to windy and back to light then back to heavy and back to windy lol. I flew the number 1 for the majority of the day with 40 grams of ballast in it and with CG at 75mm. It flew very honestly and very well, making a couple of saves I would've never thought was possible. Sam timed for me in one round where it was a 5 minute max, for 3 minutes I was just a tree heighth and had to work for a long time before it finally broke. In another round of AULD, the Helios made a heroic come back from deep down wind that took over a minute to get back. To be honest, the more I fly these things the less I think there is a need for one that weighs much less than these already do.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:46 PM
Kyle Clayton
Joined Feb 2008
2,426 Posts
I agree, I'm starting to think a lighter Helios would only be good in total dead calm air, which happens for usually about the first 10 minutes of a contest lol. I dont know if I would justify buying a plane just for that small window of usefulness. It seems to me that these planes even at 10oz can work really light stuff, it just needs to be flwon really cleanly, but I guess that can be said for all planes
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2011, 01:21 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
Quote:
I agree, I'm starting to think a lighter Helios would only be good in total dead calm air, which happens for usually about the first 10 minutes of a contest lol. I dont know if I would justify buying a plane just for that small window of usefulness. It seems to me that these planes even at 10oz can work really light stuff, it just needs to be flwon really cleanly, but I guess that can be said for all planes
kyle,

that's why i have my cg more upfront , it really help's me to fly smooth thru more turbulernt conditions , if i have more experience flying it i will go a bit further afterwards with the cg.

-kristof-
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:07 PM
Kyle Clayton
Joined Feb 2008
2,426 Posts
Do you think it will be necessary to snug the servos into the pockets better before closing them up? I only ask because I've had a top drive install I did before where the pockets were a bit too big for a tight fit around the servo. I glued them in good as you have with these, but there was still play in the flaperon (more than I thought was acceptable) because the servo still wiggled around a tiny amount even glued in. Just curious. Looks good as usual!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2011, 01:33 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Do you think it will be necessary to snug the servos into the pockets better before closing them up? I only ask because I've had a top drive install I did before where the pockets were a bit too big for a tight fit around the servo. I glued them in good as you have with these, but there was still play in the flaperon (more than I thought was acceptable) because the servo still wiggled around a tiny amount even glued in. Just curious. Looks good as usual!
kyle the servo ,needs to be fixated on the sides this is very important cause otherwise they wan't to rotate on the bottom glue point.(that's where the carbon "stiff" box helps alot)

there is no play in my setup , only the servogear where the horn is on shows minimal flex but people judge my setup as very tight.

-kristof-