HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2010, 06:55 AM
Warwick - UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,151 Posts
Discussion
Traction control - anti wheelie devices

So, here's a question for debate.

Should we allow anti wheelie or traction control devices on RC Bikes?

On one hand it will make the bikes last longer by avoiding damage from wheelies, on the other hand it takes some of the skill out of the driving.

On one hand it would make it so that anyone could drive a superbike like a throttle jockie, on the other hand it would add a level of technical/electric complication that could put people off.

What do you think?

The new Thudertiger SB5 bike has a slipper clutch on the layshaft, I wish the of road bikes did, but I can't see a use for it on a road bike. I know several people have thought of electrical feedback loops or mercury switches, tilt meters, accelerometers, or wheel speed differential methods to apply a brake or limit throttle openings and avoid terminal wheelies, but should it be encouraged, or not?

Dez
Dez82 is offline Find More Posts by Dez82
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2010, 07:36 AM
germany
Joined May 2004
350 Posts
I am totally pro traction control devices and other electronic innovations because at some point this more sophisticated technology will be harder to copy than the rest of the bike (just look at the new 1:4 from HK!)
The driver as most important performance factor will still persist...
Best,
Hugo
dan duesentrieb is offline Find More Posts by dan duesentrieb
Old May 01, 2010, 11:12 AM
madmax16117
USA, PA, Ellwood City
Joined Feb 2007
40 Posts
Any and all

I'm for it. Slippers/traction control, gear boxes,(my full size has both) variable length c-vec/buku exhaust( doesn't cost more than a ti pipe). Are not aftermarket/upgrade tires, breaks, MGBB servos, digital radios, shocks/forks, steering dampeners, any engine that fits (regulated maybe by cc) allowed? There could be a stock class -no upgrades/aftermarket- and a pro or mod class for any thing goes. Michael
michael cubbison is offline Find More Posts by michael cubbison
Old May 01, 2010, 12:32 PM
Joined May 2009
661 Posts
having a slipper clutch does not automatically allow any driver to go fast. it still needs a lot of skill. if the slipper is set loose then yes it prevents wheelies and the ensuing bike damage but your lap times won't be as fast as it could be. to go fast you need to tighten the slipper as tight as you dare or as tight as your throttle finger allows!

in summary the slipper does not take skill out of the equation. it can however save the bike from wheelie damage when in the hands of a novice driver.
Torrance is offline Find More Posts by Torrance
Old May 01, 2010, 05:15 PM
Joined Feb 2007
262 Posts
I m with Torrance, if you are looking for fast laps, the hands of a good driver is the only traction control you need.
Manuspain is offline Find More Posts by Manuspain
Old May 01, 2010, 07:25 PM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuspain View Post
I m with Torrance, if you are looking for fast laps, the hands of a good driver is the only traction control you need.
Ditto...
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
Old May 01, 2010, 08:13 PM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
Don't know where I stand on this one.... I think the skill level is what makes things interesting, and if if you take that away, things can get boring real quick...

But then you have the issue of technology, if no-one pushes the boundry the nothing really moves forward...

Programable speed controlers are at low level of traction control, add to this the adjustment available from even a mid level radio, and you can make things pretty tame, or really wild using all the same running gear and power supply... So isn't this already traction control... or rider aids... ???

HHHmmmm.... me not know which side of the fence to sit......
Lukey B is offline Find More Posts by Lukey B
Old May 01, 2010, 09:18 PM
Dubai U.A.E
Joined Oct 2003
867 Posts
I'm for packing as much technology into rc models as their full sized cousins. End of story for me, not that anyone else likely gives a

Kevin
vaz2107 is offline Find More Posts by vaz2107
Old May 01, 2010, 10:29 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2006
292 Posts
I'm one of those bored guys working on an electronic version of traction control. My version takes control away from the driver on the throttle and brakes (maybe even steering at some point). I would hate to see something like this in anything but a highly-modified class. On the other hand, traction control from a slipper does not really add any "smarts" to the bikes. It is just another tuning parameter to be taken into account along with the surface/tires/foams/etc. It's a compromise between faster acceleration and flipping the bike. Now I only wish we had more racers in Houston to race with so my opinion matters

-rskip
rskip is offline Find More Posts by rskip
Old May 02, 2010, 12:31 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
Here's another issue I can see... With a quality traction control system fitted to your " pro " class bike, this really exspensive two wheeled r/c rocket is now even easier to use than the much cheaper " stock " bike... Thus dis-heartning a bunch of guys starting to get into the hobby.....
Old May 02, 2010, 01:42 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,196 Posts
I feel the same way about RC motorcycle racing as I feel about F1. We should accept and embrace innovation as it comes up, be it in technology or design. Stifling the class for the sake of keeping it "even" is not in the spirit of racing. For F1, that means enough with these engine and even the budget limits -- Bernie is trying to turn it into into friggin' NASCAR, which isn't the sprit of F1.

That doesn't mean I feel that there shouldn't be rules, just that we should examine things like traction control devices and come up with rules on how to best implement it.

Oh, but I do still feel that if if doesn't have a rider out in the open, it isn't a motorcycle.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old May 02, 2010, 02:56 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Feb 2007
332 Posts
These sorts of arguements having been going on for years. The change from NiCad to NiMh, now to LiPo or LiFe cells. Resistor speedies, or electronic, Brushed or brushless motors. Every advancement, mechanical or electrical, will always be met with resistance, especially, if it seems to give an advantage for competition.

The new breed of intelligent speedies is growing, as the need to control higher capacity batteries and higher performance motors. For example, the new Mamba from Castle Creations.http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_max_pro.html
Are we going to ban these as well.

OK, stock class, yes, allow some restrictions, but, the superbike class, should be anything goes. as long as the bike meets the dimensional and capacity rules.

I think it was only last year at a major 1/12thscale car meet in Europe, there was talk of banning the entire Associated team because the tyres they used were unique and not available to any other racer.
magnuts is offline Find More Posts by magnuts
Old May 02, 2010, 03:58 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,107 Posts
Any mechanical soution should be allowed.
Anything more complicated than a slipper will cause problems anyway
ANY electronic Gyroscopic stuff should be banned.
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old May 02, 2010, 06:25 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
Man did you guys just watch the moto2 race from Jerez ? Now there's your answer... Limited in all aspects, apart from set up and riding ability, awsome racing
Old May 02, 2010, 10:04 AM
I'm not totally useless..
Drunen. NL
Joined Sep 2003
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.winter View Post
Any mechanical soution should be allowed.
Anything more complicated than a slipper will cause problems anyway
ANY electronic Gyroscopic stuff should be banned.
I'm with Edi. All mechancical bits and inovations are allowed, only adjustable in the pits. No electric gizmo's, otherwise "everyone" could drive a bike fast....driving RC bike is a skill
Sure inovations are a great thing, if everything is/was allowed in racing. Then the people with the deepest wallet will win the race.
radical ron is offline Find More Posts by radical ron
Last edited by radical ron; May 02, 2010 at 10:10 AM.