SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:39 PM
Vertical Wake
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
735 Posts
Discussion
Best Graupner Terry -like foamie?

I really miss my old Terrys----great flyers. I heard there was a Terry 2, but the price was crazy. Can anyone recommend a foamie that is sleek, 31" or so?
splatman is offline Find More Posts by splatman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:43 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
741 Posts
Hi!

I don't know much about the Terry S... But I'm very fond of my Multiplex Merlin! Maybe it could be of interest to you..?

Happy landings :-)
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:19 PM
Vertical Wake
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
735 Posts
It's fairly close. Here's a pic of the original Terry
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:05 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
741 Posts
...fairly close...

If I'm not wrong, I believe the Terry S is categorised as a small glider, where the Merlin has a touch of hotliner to it.
Also, does the Terry S not lack of ailerons?
The Merlin is very agile and yet alone its glide-speed can be quite high (in fact higher than under power).
Powerwise the Merlin is very well equiped from factory, verticals are endless.

A very fun little plane

PS as all the Multiplex planes, it's very durable too (I'll never forget the time my dumb thumbs made the plane make a straight dive, from a pretty high altitude (hence, a lot of velocity), right into the ground. The plane planted its nose into the soil and stood there with the fuselage sticking out at a right angle (my luck must also have been due to the fact that the soil had just been plowed)... Apart from the wings that poped off (the wing's fixation is made to allow that, very cleverly), the Merlin didn't have a scratch. After verification, but no repair at all, I launched it and it flew flawlessly! That is one robust little plane! Just amazing!.. still, no need to go out try that :-)

Another realy nice aspect of the Merlin is how easy it is to un-pack, pack and transport. I find that it's realy well conceived.
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Chrizz; Feb 19, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:34 AM
Vertical Wake
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
735 Posts
Thanks for the Merlin info, I might look into it. I seem to remember something about "death spirals" with the Merlin. Did you ever experience that?

The Terry did lack ailerons, but many added them. The foam was a bit brittle and a crash usually ended with the wing going cock-eyed and ripping out the mounting bolts. It did have a bit of hotliner blood in it, it was very sleek and moved pretty well---even in the sp400/round cell days.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:07 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
549 Posts
Best Graupner Terry-like Foamy?

The answer to the question is .........................The Graupner Terry S: Now called the Graupner Chip.

Now, I don't mean to be sarcastic here but I've yet to find any similar model of this size that flies so well.

Chrizz has mentioned the Mpx Merlin which is a good model. I have flown a friends Merlin but much prefer my Terry S. The wing loading of the Terry is much lower than that of the Merlin, hence makes for a better ( very long)glide with power off.

I added ailerons to my Terry ( about an hours work) which opened up a whole new flying envelope to explore and well worth the effort.

Over here in Euroland the "Chip" is currently available for 100 Euros complete with brushless inrunner, prop, spinner, servos.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:46 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatman View Post
Thanks for the Merlin info, I might look into it. I seem to remember something about "death spirals" with the Merlin. Did you ever experience that?...
The Merlin is a great little model, but Multiplex rate it "3"on a 4 level difficulty scale. As said, the wing load is higher (it's a smaller plane) and it goes like stink. I would assume that the "death spirals" are merely stall induced spin caused by lack of understanding of the relatively high stall speed.

Even if I haven't flown a Terry, I'd say they are two very different planes despite initial similarities in appearence.

There is a discussion of the Merlin vs Terry in an older (but very informative) Terry-thread somewhere in this forum. Dates back a year, I guess.
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:48 PM
Vertical Wake
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
735 Posts
Does anybody know a good source for the Chip? GravesRC showed one, but it was $140.00 US. I would rather have a bare airframe if possible.