New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2016, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by Raymo99
Ireland, Dublin, Dublin City
Joined Jan 2010
554 Posts
Discussion
FPV from car seat- too cold outside

Have any of you guys managed to operate 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz from the car seat?

I was out flying FPV in the freezing cold today and it seemed logical to set up for in-car FPV.

All I would need is external 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz mounted on the car exterior.

My VTX gear is Quanum v2 and a 5.8 Diversity RX, so I could window mount the RX with 12" antannas to peep over the car.

My controller Tx is Spektrum DX9, so I need some way to attach external antennas, but I don't want to drill my DX9 !!!

So I thought of getting a cheap DX6i and attaching an SMA for external antenna.... I could roof mounting that ok.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has done anything like this.... have you goy any tips?

Cheers

Ray
Raymo99 is offline Find More Posts by Raymo99
Last edited by Raymo99; Jan 01, 2016 at 04:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2016, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by Everything RC
FPV Flyer and Racer
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Dec 2015
182 Posts
Look at this. This guy is in his car.

HPIGUY | Live Narrated FPV Flying Rate Mode - Qav250 - Naze32 - (9 min 43 sec)
Everything RC is offline Find More Posts by Everything RC
Old Jan 02, 2016, 04:30 AM
Joined Jan 2010
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everything RC View Post
Look at this. This guy is in his car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI6BJuU8G_g
Thanks for that link.
I see he was using external 5.8 ghz for guys fatsharks.
But he was using a normal 2.4 ghz transmitter with no external antenna.

If 2.4ghz works well enough from the car, then I have even less work to do.

Ray
Old Jan 02, 2016, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by Twistedfarts
United States, WI, Osceola
Joined Jan 2014
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo99 View Post
Thanks for that link.
I see he was using external 5.8 ghz for guys fatsharks.
But he was using a normal 2.4 ghz transmitter with no external antenna.

If 2.4ghz works well enough from the car, then I have even less work to do.

Ray
Just yesterday I was doing fpv with my rc truck from inside of my truck. I have cheap hobby king remote TX and rx and cheap vtx and vrx with the stock antennas on both. I could go at least one block away not holding remote up or any antennas on top of the car. Worked fine through the snow banks and everything.
Twistedfarts is offline Find More Posts by Twistedfarts
Old Jan 02, 2016, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by Everything RC
FPV Flyer and Racer
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Dec 2015
182 Posts
If you want an optimal setup where you can go far, definitely have the antennas outside. If you are successful, I would probably do the same so I can do some winter flying.
Everything RC is offline Find More Posts by Everything RC
Old Jan 02, 2016, 04:15 PM
Joined Jan 2010
554 Posts
I may just give it a try from the car seat with the stock TX, the spektrum DX9 has diversity in the TX and I have diversity in the RX so that may help some.

Especially if I keep the model on the drivers side and don't go behind the car, it may well be enough for close proximity FPV.

Cheers
Ray
Old Jan 02, 2016, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2013
1,139 Posts
I'm flying around the backyard from my dining room table. Turnigy 9X controller, TS5823 vTx. Works fine with no dropouts or static, but I'm flying less than 100 ft away on my makeshift backyard racecourse.
SirRexAlot is offline Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Old Jan 05, 2016, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by parajared
no guts no glory
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2013
1,068 Posts
I would be curious to see what happens if you use a couple of long coax cables from your radio and your goggles to the roof. Signal strength degradation?

I do it wirelessly with a little box.
-I send 2.4 Frsky to a receiver that outputs PPM (D4rII).
-D4rII sends PPM to a Rlink
-the Rlink accepts PPM and outputs 433 to the plane.

-The video receiver receives 1.3
-outputs video to a 5.8 transmitter (where the camera is supposed to connect)
-5.8 transmits video to my goggles

So basically I have a little box with a battery in it that I just hurl onto the roof or propped up on something tall and everything just magically works.
parajared is offline Find More Posts by parajared
Last edited by parajared; Jan 05, 2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 08:01 PM
Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2013
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parajared View Post
I would be curious to see what happens if you use a couple of long coax cables from your radio and your goggles to the roof. Signal strength degradation?

I do it wirelessly with a little box.
-I send 2.4 Frsky to a receiver that outputs PPM (D4rII).
-D4rII sends PPM to a Rlink
-the Rlink accepts PPM and outputs 433 to the plane.

-The video receiver receives 1.3
-outputs video to a 5.8 transmitter (where the camera is supposed to connect)
-5.8 transmits video to my goggles

So basically I have a little box with a battery in it that I just hurl onto the roof or propped up on something tall and everything just magically works.
Or you could put that box in a hover quad, send it up nice and high, and fly down in gullies and other places you would normally lose signal. I get the basic idea, but I'd love to read an in-depth setup on how it's specifically done.
SirRexAlot is offline Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Old Jan 06, 2016, 09:38 AM
no guts no glory
Joined Oct 2013
1,068 Posts
Ian got me started with his "daemon relay" but mine is built a little different. Mine is easier to set up and use between a bunch of different aircraft. With mine you just use the JR module for normal flight and change the setting in the radio to use the 2.4 antenna for "parajared box" mode. Ian uses channel 9-12 on his and re-binds every time he wants to use his Daemon relay. The parajared box jams up a whole slew of frequencies (433,1.3, 2.4 and 5.8) and has a more RFI hostile environment for my poor 1.3 receiver antenna. I presume his would work at a longer distance from the ground station because 1.3ghz has a habit of stepping on 2.4.

A relay is a handy tool because you can place your antennas somewhere away from where you want to sit but honestly I just use my JR module 90% of the time. I find it easier to hike up to the top of a hill with the plane and sit on a rock or a stump or something than it is to hike up to the top of a hill, place the relay, hike down, sit in the car, fly for 30-40 minutes then hike all the way back up the hill to retrieve the relay. My relay has mostly diminished to roof duty, something that can be achieved with just running some power and A/V cables

Here's Ian's Daemon relay
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2120863

Mine is just a plastic box I bought from the plastic box isle at Wal-Mart, yes my Wal-Mart has an entire isle dedicated to just plastic boxes.

I use airscrew 1.3 and coil-loaded dipole 433 on the plane, on the relay I use mad mushroom for both 1.3 and 5.8, and a regular dipole for 433.

On the relay I use 3s lipo to send 12 volts to both the R-link and the Aomway 200 and a BEC to send 5v to the D4rII. I use sticky Velcro to hold the components to the walls of the box so that they don't rattle around.
Last edited by parajared; Jan 06, 2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2016, 10:39 AM
no guts no glory
Joined Oct 2013
1,068 Posts
Alternately if you don't want to do a box, I'm sure something like a 2x4 would work fine with the components stuck to the outside rather than inside a box.

Consider making your 1.3 rx detachable so you can put some separation between your box and your receiver antenna.
Old Jan 06, 2016, 10:47 AM
no guts no glory
Joined Oct 2013
1,068 Posts
oops,
I forgot. I am using my 2.4 L9R as my PPM relay not D4RII.

I did this because with the L9R you can select the channel number you want your frequency to work on and you don't have to re-bind. With the D4rII the channel number is not selectable so you have to re-bind everytime you change airplanes.