New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2014, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by steve3d2005
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
Discussion
Pixhawk build issues..

Hello everyone!

Been reading a ton for a while now on quad copters, especially on the pixhawk build. I have received all my parts and completed the build and everything looks great. The parts are..

DJI F450 ARF Kit (w/ DJI 30a opto escs and the 2212 dji motors)

FRSKY taranis w/ x8r rcvr

The pixhawk FC with the ublox gps

The 3dr telemetry radios..

Everything is built and looks awesome and appears to be working good except.. the motors will not spin.

I can see thru the mission planner software that the transmistter is properly sending signals to the Flight controller, and the flight controller via mission planner is showing output to the 4 channels connected to the ESC's.. unfortunately that is where it stops working.

Once I connect a lipo something( I think it's the ESC's ) just keep beeping about once per second pretty much driving me nuts, but the motors never spin.

I know there is no BEC but with the 3DR power module connected to the flight controller, I don't see a need for the BEC. And I have the Sbus connection going from the x8r receiver to the RC in on the pixhawk and can see everything working properly thru mission planner.

Just not sure why the motors refuse to spin, and why there is beeping.

I have the ESC's plugged into the main output's 1-4 on the flight controller. I am at a loss and have been googling my brains out trying to find someone with a solution but nothing has panned out.

Anyone that can shine some light on the subject would be greatly appreciated! Dying to take this thing out and fly it and this weird error is a little frustrating.

Thanks in advance!

-Steve
steve3d2005 is offline Find More Posts by steve3d2005
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2014, 01:22 AM
Find More Posts by Thegn
Joined Jul 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3d2005 View Post

Once I connect a lipo something( I think it's the ESC's ) just keep beeping about once per second pretty much driving me nuts, but the motors never spin.

-Steve
I got the exact same setup as you, and I experienced the same problem also. But it will work

Make sure you have gone through Everything in the setup, with calibrations and so on.

After you have connected the battery, be Quick to press and hold the arming button. After that, try to arm. I know some people have to change the travel adjustments, but I never had to do that.

Cheers,
Thegn is offline Find More Posts by Thegn
Old Feb 06, 2014, 08:16 AM
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
Cool thanks for the info. Good to know it will work :-) What may I ask is the procedure you use to get armed and flying. The little safety button is a mystery to me cause I've never seen it do anything but flash.. I've tried holding it down but it didn't change anything. Maybe my sequence is off...
Old Feb 06, 2014, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by Thegn
Joined Jul 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Cool thanks for the info. Good to know it will work :-) What may I ask is the procedure you use to get armed and flying. The little safety button is a mystery to me cause I've never seen it do anything but flash.. I've tried holding it down but it didn't change anything. Maybe my sequence is off...
Just make sure you go through all the procedures in the Initial Setup in Mission Planner, so you have your transmitter setup correctly and the channels works (throttle etc.). Do the Compass calibrations. Setup flight modes. After that, when you plug in the battery, and the beeping starts, be quick to press and hold the safety button. It will stop blinking after awhile. Continue by arming the craft with the transmitter. Keep the sticks in arming position a little while, then give some gas.

The is also some help in a video on Youtube. Put this in the search box: "Arming Process for 3DR Pixhawk".

Hope it works out!
Last edited by Thegn; Feb 06, 2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2014, 09:31 AM
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
Awesome thanks ill try that when I get home. *fingers crossed*

How are you liking your build so far? I went through all the calibration stuff, the only thing I couldn't get working was the failsafe switch.. I followed a youtube video from diydrone. It had me set in the Taranis channel 7 for the two position switch on the top left. I then calibrated in mission planner and mission planner sees me throw the switch. But when I get to failsafe and flip the switch it doesn't see it. I did the same thing with one of the 3 position switches for flight mode and put that on channel 5 and that one works great. I have 3 diff flight modes assigned to that switch. Any issue you had in that regard?
Old Feb 07, 2014, 01:23 AM
Find More Posts by Thegn
Joined Jul 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Awesome thanks ill try that when I get home. *fingers crossed*

How are you liking your build so far? I went through all the calibration stuff, the only thing I couldn't get working was the failsafe switch.. I followed a youtube video from diydrone. It had me set in the Taranis channel 7 for the two position switch on the top left. I then calibrated in mission planner and mission planner sees me throw the switch. But when I get to failsafe and flip the switch it doesn't see it. I did the same thing with one of the 3 position switches for flight mode and put that on channel 5 and that one works great. I have 3 diff flight modes assigned to that switch. Any issue you had in that regard?
Hi,

As it is Winter and cold here, I haven't been flying with the kit yet. I've just build it together, and started to learn about the software. I'm new to APM, and there is much to read.

I probably watched the same video as you regarding the Taranis and Failsafe. I could not get it to work either. But then I found somewhere in the settings screen, that you have to assign a function to Channel 7. Try to put Fail Safe there. Somehow they missed to show this step in the video.

Hope you got the arming working!
Old Feb 07, 2014, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by JC_Clouse
United States, LA, Marrero
Joined Dec 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
If you don't get a solid red light after holding the button down for 5 seconds, something isn't right with your setup.

have you tried this procedure yet?
http://www.dronetrest.com/t/pixhawk-...l-not-seen/169
JC_Clouse is offline Find More Posts by JC_Clouse
Old Feb 07, 2014, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by kfennell
United States, TX, San Marcos
Joined Apr 2012
250 Posts
Did you calbirate the ESC's?

When you try to connect to pixhawk via usb from a laptop is it successful? Does it update like a hundred paramaters or just a few?
kfennell is offline Find More Posts by kfennell
Old Feb 08, 2014, 12:03 AM
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
OK so i finaly got everything figured out and did my maiden voyage.

Thanks everyone for your help. it turned out to be the safety button after all. Once I held that down I was able to arm and get the motors spinning.

The next bit o drama was my first attempt at spinning up the motors and finding out the signals weren't correct.. it flipped on its head. drat!

Interesting note for some that may help is that although the DJI manual shows the motors number 1 top front right, 2 front left, 3 rear left, 4 rear right..

Once I got powered up with them plugged in that config to the pixhawk I found that to be incorrect. Looks like the pixhawk sees front right as 1, rear left as 2, front left as 3 and rear right as 4..

Then I also had to invert one of my channels as pushing right stick forward tipped quad backwards and vice versa.. Phew! lots of little quirks to figure out.

In the end though I did get it to comfortable hover and move around a bit. Very exciting and wow what a nice feeling quad in the air. Definetely very stable.

Question, when people do the accelerometer calibration and hold it in the various angles, how precise should that be? Is "pretty much" level going to cut it or will that cause issues later on? Just wondering if I need a perfectly level surface to calibrate that on.

Thanks again for the tips everyone!
Old Dec 05, 2014, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by thesglife
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Oct 2013
19 Posts
How did everything work out for you?
thesglife is offline Find More Posts by thesglife
Old Oct 01, 2015, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by FriFlyers
Joined Mar 2013
460 Posts
Pixhawk red light on and it wont stop beeping!!!?

Hi Guys

I am new to the Pixhawk. But I have had the Older versions to play around with before. I connect the Pixhawk to the computer, the Gps and Buzzer and the key and rc reciever are all connected my radio is off, when I connect it to the computer with mission planner on, it shows the red light and it wont stop beeping!!!?
Is there anything wrong?

Thanks for any help
FriFlyers is offline Find More Posts by FriFlyers
Old Oct 02, 2015, 06:31 AM
Find More Posts by Oldgazer
FA3PR9WM79
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
4,605 Posts
Questions:

What "key" are you referring to?

Have you tried pressing and holding the ARMING SAFETY BUTTON until the LED is solid RED?

Posting a video to Youtube and sharing the link will help. So will posting pictures....
Oldgazer is online now Find More Posts by Oldgazer