New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
1,035 Posts
Zeke, Any chance I can get a set of parts for another cowl? Last summer cowl popped off and was eaten by prop on maiden. LOL This time I'll cut air exhaust holes in top of nacelle. Also, did you ever make available the tip float modification? Trying to get her ready for summer.
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2015, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by Convair580
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jul 2010
71 Posts
So I'm not sure anyone is still watching this thread, but I wanted to know if these are the props people were using?

http://www.hobbyexpress.com/scale_3_...32885_prd1.htm

I could not find any on the Hobby Lobby website, but this appears to be the same?

Also any ESC recommendations?

I see at the end of the thread there are some float modifications discussed, just ordered the bird (AND a 314 ) not sure if these mods are included with the new kit, where there problems with the previous tip floats?

Hope to get it soon, and I'm going with an older airline livery of a Mallard (close enough for me)

Lots of good info in here, and the manual looks like it was worth the wait. I hope the 314 manual is just as good.

CV580
Convair580 is offline Find More Posts by Convair580
Old Sep 15, 2015, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by zbrubaker
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,514 Posts
Those are the props I used on my prototype. On the next one that I am building I will be using the Master Airscrew 11x7x3 props that come normal and counter rotation. The float modification is now a part of the kit, so no worries there. If you'd like some help with the livery, let me know. I can probably get something drawn up and get any necessary stuff to Callie Graphics if it'll make your life easier.

-Zeke
zbrubaker is online now Find More Posts by zbrubaker
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:16 AM
Find More Posts by Convair580
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jul 2010
71 Posts
Thanks Zeke, I sent you an email with the livery. For an ARF guy, I can't believe how excited i am to actually build.

Let's see how that plays out in a couple months

Convair580 is offline Find More Posts by Convair580
Old Sep 16, 2015, 09:40 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,514 Posts
The Albatross isn't a hard build BUT it will take a bit of time.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by warhead_71
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker View Post
Those are the props I used on my prototype. On the next one that I am building I will be using the Master Airscrew 11x7x3 props that come normal and counter rotation. The float modification is now a part of the kit, so no worries there. If you'd like some help with the livery, let me know. I can probably get something drawn up and get any necessary stuff to Callie Graphics if it'll make your life easier.

-Zeke
I used these replacement Corsair props on my Grumman Goose. They are 11x6x3. Not counter-rotating, but the full-scale is not counter-rotating either. (I cannot tell the difference on my Goose). Wide blades give you lots of low-speed thrust for ROW and efficient cruising. They look very close to scale for the Albatross.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ller_Set_.html
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:04 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,514 Posts
What kind of prop adapter did you use for those props? I actually have some but they would need to be drilled out in order to work with the stock prop adapters that I have.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by warhead_71
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,365 Posts
Quote:
What kind of prop adapter did you use for those props? I actually have some but they would need to be drilled out in order to work with the stock prop adapters that I have.
I did not use a prop adapter. I used the older HK "Donkey" DT750 motors which have a threaded 4mm shaft. I used a the provided nut to tighten the prop on (it has a 4mm center-hole and a recess designed to hold the nut in place), then added a nylon lock nut on top of that and cut off the extra shaft. To finish it off, I added some plastic nut covers which I painted silver with a Sharpie. The end result very closely resembles the full scale prop hub.

A 4mm Acorn Nut would also do the trick as the lock-nut, with a lock-washer between the two nuts.

If you want more pitch and a Counter-Rotating set, try the SkyMule props which are 11x8x3:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Set_L_R_.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2148480

This plane also runs on Donkey Motors. They are cheap, reliable, and efficient.... though a bit heavier than other motors in the same class.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...or_1000kv.html (They actually spec 1100kv for that plane, but the 1000kv will do the job).

I run Donkey motors in several of my bush planes and seaplanes... 750kv, 850kv, 900kv, 1000kv. They are all the same motor casing, just wound differently. They have large bearing with lots or torque... great for planes that just "cruise" around at lower RPMs. And the extra weight helps balance most of my planes which tend to have short noses.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Sep 16, 2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:27 AM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,514 Posts
Nice...I'm really surprised that no one out there has a prop adapter with a 3mm threaded shaft.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by flying jeep
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,077 Posts
I've been setting on this kit for a couple years now waiting for enough time and space to build. This winter may be the time. I printed what was available of the instructions back then. Have any upgrades been made to the instructions in the last two years?
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by brandonmoon
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2009
6,818 Posts
same here, been trying to find the time to put mine together as well
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
Old Nov 15, 2015, 04:50 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
same here, been trying to find the time to put mine together as well
I've learned over the years to strike when the irons hot if you want a kit as it may not be there next winter.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by brandonmoon
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2009
6,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying jeep View Post
I've learned over the years to strike when the irons hot if you want a kit as it may not be there next winter.
I agree, me too
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
Old Dec 14, 2015, 07:48 AM
Find More Posts by DAVE GRABEN
United States, TX, Rhome
Joined Jul 2005
285 Posts
Quote:
The Albatross isn't a hard build BUT it will take a bit of time.
Mine is coming along but it does take time, lots of time.
DAVE GRABEN is offline Find More Posts by DAVE GRABEN
Old Jan 18, 2016, 08:28 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE GRABEN View Post
Mine is coming along but it does take time, lots of time.
Looks good Dave. Did you waterproof everything? Where are you on the weight so far?
Jay