Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2Nitro View Post
Well, thanks.

The St. Francisville area is nice.

EDIT: Forgot to say- I'm offended.
St. Francisville, huh? Tell me more about it.
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2016, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by quadracer
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
5,201 Posts
New Orleans; the city that smells like pee and puke, no matter where you go.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Feb 06, 2016, 02:07 PM
Irg
Find More Posts by Irg
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
8,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
If you like bitter coffee with chicory in it, you'll love Louisiana...Oh...and the Mosquito is the state bird of Louisiana...HUGE fricken mosquitoes...

Also....there used to be a bar in in Leesville in the 1970's that had three layers of chicken wire around the stage, and EVERY table, chair and stool was bolted down...and my brand new (I.E two days old) Les Paul "Black Beauty" got shot by an idiot that stood up waved a pistol around and fired off six shots.

SteveT.
your black beauty took a bullet for you? I would keep that one forever.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 06, 2016, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
Extremely Twisted
United States, LA
Joined Apr 2014
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
St. Francisville, huh? Tell me more about it.
It's a small town about 35 minutes from Baton Rouge. Really beautiful area, more hilly than most of Louisiana. It does get pretty hot in the summer sometimes, though.
Eagle2Nitro is offline Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
Old Feb 06, 2016, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
New Orleans; the city that smells like pee and puke, no matter where you go.
I keep hearing that, most recently from my wife, who was there for a couple of days...
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
35,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
your black beauty took a bullet for you? I would keep that one forever.
I wish I could have, but I was a young guy with only so much money, and just buying it in the first place had used up all the money I had. I made the owner of the bar pay for the guitar and he took it.

The full story....

I bought the guitar at Tom McCarty Music Center in Wichita Falls TX, on a Wednesday, on Friday, my band and I traveled to Fort Polk Louisiana to play at the Officers club, then on Saturday, we went to the club in Leesville to play there that night. When we walked in, the first thing I saw was the three layers of chicken wire around the stage, I said "Oh crap guys, look at the stage", and about that time our bassist says, "yeah, and look at all the chairs, tables and stools, they're all bolted down"!!!! The only guy in the bar was the bartender, who was also the owner. I walked over to him and introduced myself, and asked what the deal was withe stage and tables etc.. He said that sometimes the place would get a little rowdy and didn't want anybody to get hurt. I told him that as per our contract, if it got too rowdy, we were "out of there" and we would still get paid, which he acknowledged.

Later that night in about the middle of the second set, we were playing "The Who's" version of "Summer Time Blues" when I did a Peter Townshend "windmill", and at about that time, I hear six loud bangs, and feel something slam my guitar, which knocked me back about two feet. I looked down only to find a crack, right between the bridge pick-up and bridge (right where my hand would have been if I had been "picking" the guitar. Now for those of you who don't know about Les Pauls, they are about 1.5" thick, with the rear part being Honduran Mahogany, and the front having a maple "cap" about 3/8 to 1/2" thick. So, fortunately, the bullet did not go all the way through, but the bullet was just sticking out the back.

As I'm looking at my guitar, the rest of the band is trying to figure out what was going on and why I had quit playing. I gave them the "hand slicing across the throat" and told them to stop and start tearing down the equipment. I unplugged my guitar, walked down off of the back of the stage, and as I walked towards the owner, I pulled my receipt for the guitar out of my wallet, and told him, "I bought it on Wednesday, you just bought it, so get me a check for it and for the band, and we packed up and left. Yes, many's the time I wish I could have kept that guitar, but they only way he would pay me is if he kept it.

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Feb 06, 2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by Sabin
Every pilot has his crash
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2Nitro View Post
It's a small town about 35 minutes from Baton Rouge. Really beautiful area, more hilly than most of Louisiana. It does get pretty hot in the summer sometimes, though.
well, hot isn't so bad. as long as it's not nasty humid, i'd be okay with it.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:45 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
35,135 Posts
Don't worry about the humidity, you will soon be dehydrated from the mosquitoes sucking you dry!!

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:56 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
35,135 Posts
BTW....does anybody have about half a roll of older orange Monokote. A friend gave me a large plane he designed/built a number of years ago, that is basically a scaled up Great Planes Super Sportster. Unfortunately a cat walked on one side of the one piece wing (about 7 feet) and so, I need to repair it. I would just buy a roll of orange, but the new stuff is not the same as the older stuff.

And..the plane was designed to use a G-62. How do the modern 50CC engines compare as to power? I would assume more???

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2016, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by Sabin
Every pilot has his crash
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
3,343 Posts
Quote:
BTW....does anybody have about half a roll of older orange Monokote. A friend gave me a large plane he designed/built a number of years ago, that is basically a scaled up Great Planes Super Sportster. Unfortunately a cat walked on one side of the one piece wing (about 7 feet) and so, I need to repair it. I would just buy a roll of orange, but the new stuff is not the same as the older stuff.

And..the plane was designed to use a G-62. How do the modern 50CC engines compare as to power? I would assume more???

SteveT.
regular orange or flourescent orange?
Old Feb 06, 2016, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Flying Half Pound and Down
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
14,662 Posts
Quote:

SteveT.
I have some Steve, its older but not sure how to tell if its old enough.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Feb 06, 2016, 06:03 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
35,135 Posts
Regular is what I need, and I need the stuff that once ironed down won't release with heat (like Ultracote does). I used to take the older Monokote and iron pieces together to make one sheet that I could then apply like just one sheet, and it wouldn't separate. the newer stuff seems to do that, and also when heated smells like the old vinyl kids "blow up pools".. If it doesn't release with heat, and doesn't smell like that, then that is what I need...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2016, 06:40 PM
Joined Dec 2007
14,662 Posts
Quote:
Regular is what I need, and I need the stuff that once ironed down won't release with heat (like Ultracote does). I used to take the older Monokote and iron pieces together to make one sheet that I could then apply like just one sheet, and it wouldn't separate. the newer stuff seems to do that, and also when heated smells like the old vinyl kids "blow up pools".. If it doesn't release with heat, and doesn't smell like that, then that is what I need...

SteveT.
I dig out the box and look, I had got a lot of older new rolls on RCG a few years ago...

The new motors likely pull the same as the 62 but you will be loads lighter so you may have to watch for a aft CG adjustment.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 07:22 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
35,135 Posts
Thanks my friend....

And that's what I was thinking as to the G-62...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2016, 08:15 PM
Joined Dec 2007
14,662 Posts
This is the older style, it doesn't have the "color" monokote logo like some of the new ones. I have 2 of the regular 6 foot roles and 1 of the Larger 25 foot Roles of the standard orange. <roll of each in picture>

Drop me a PM and let me know if this helps.