Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
10,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiat2001 View Post
Hi Lee,

I fly the pelican with 8" & 7" flow flyer prop today to see the difference.

With 8" prop the pelican has more power but the control & response is also more sensitive, much harder to control for a new flyer. With 7" prop it's easier to control, but you can feel the pelican is flying at lower power than a 8" prop.

I feel that it'll be better for Pelican to fly with a 7" prop, 8" prop is kind of "over power"
It's not just the length of the prop but how high it is over the fuselage on the pod.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by General660
Joined Nov 2012
114 Posts
I had my first solo day today. No laughing, but I managed to snap the fuselage in half just ahead of the two rear servos, It also took a small chunk from right wingtip, I was too low, too fast. Hot Glue, some extreme tape, it was all repaired. second flight was great, flew out a full battery, the plane almost didn't want to land!!! I got it down fine that time. Last flight of the day, rough landing, but no major repairs. I added strip of extreme tape along leading edges of wing.
All in all, a good first day for a total rookie. My instructor Dan said I did fine, no porpoising, no bad habits. he figured I will pick it up pretty quick. They turned me loose on empty side of field, gave me some stick time. And so it begins........., ha ha. NO ONE DIED.
General660 is offline Find More Posts by General660
Last edited by General660; Feb 06, 2016 at 04:06 PM. Reason: addon
Old Feb 06, 2016, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by tabeguache
Unregistered User
Joined Nov 2015
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by General660 View Post
I added strip of extreme tape along leading edges of wing.
I've put x-tape on all my albatross' leading edges; wings and tail. It is an excellent (for me, necessary) addition to the plane. I have far too much fondness for buzzing trees, and too little skill to pull it off reliably.

After I put the x-tape on the wings, I've even ripped branches off trees on impact and the wings don't even show a scratch. If only I could wrap the prop in x-tape...
tabeguache is offline Find More Posts by tabeguache
Old Feb 07, 2016, 07:51 AM
Joined Nov 2012
114 Posts
I am starting to think the 35-30 1400kv motor is too much power for me as a beginner. I have a 28-26 1100kv, and will switch to that to try and slow it down a bit. I had a 8x6 GWS prop on it, swapped out to a 8x4.7 Slo-fly for next venture out. Once I get some altitude, the plane does great. It glides beautifully, controls well. My launches and landings are my problem at the moment. Plane is getting it's battle scars, as I get experience. But, I am learning, and having fun.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 02:27 AM
Find More Posts by doughpat
Indonesia, Special Capital Region of Jakarta, Jakarta
Joined May 2009
465 Posts
Quote:
I am starting to think the 35-30 1400kv motor is too much power for me as a beginner. I have a 28-26 1100kv, and will switch to that to try and slow it down a bit. I had a 8x6 GWS prop on it, swapped out to a 8x4.7 Slo-fly for next venture out. Once I get some altitude, the plane does great. It glides beautifully, controls well. My launches and landings are my problem at the moment. Plane is getting it's battle scars, as I get experience. But, I am learning, and having fun.
If the motor is too large, just put a smaller prop on there--easier than changing out a motor.

Play around with the launch power. the Pelican is a funny bird in that sense.

Its a great plane for doing exactly what you are doing--learning! Keep having fun. And remember to do a thorough pre-flight check before every launch...especially after a rough landing. Control horns, servo arms, motor screws, etc. you need them all!
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
Old Feb 08, 2016, 12:13 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
10,496 Posts
I agree. . Put a 7x6 prop on the motor and remount the motor so the prop has 1/2" clearance with the fuselage and try it. The bigger 1400kv motor will have close to the same thrust as the smaller 1534kv motor.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 09:16 PM
Joined Nov 2012
114 Posts
Pre-flight checks are a given, I learned to make it part of my routine with my quad-copter. Things try to shake loose, screws do vibrate. I just figured smaller motor, slow fly prop would drop the thrust enough for slower flights. Once I master this, I want to go with a Grim Reaper wing next. Maybe it would be a wiser choice to get the Assassin 3 pack. Then I would have the shock cord, tape, and laminate as armor too, ha ha.
Old Feb 09, 2016, 01:54 AM
Find More Posts by doughpat
Indonesia, Special Capital Region of Jakarta, Jakarta
Joined May 2009
465 Posts
Quote:
Once I master this, I want to go with a Grim Reaper wing next. Maybe it would be a wiser choice to get the Assassin 3 pack. Then I would have the shock cord, tape, and laminate as armor too, ha ha.
Just so you know, the Grim Reaper does have shock cord, tape, and laminate, so either kit will give you a very tough plane!

You can always order some extra laminate as well--of course, even without asking for extra, CTH is very generous with it...after building lots of their planes I have tons of extra laminate. Every kit seems to have about 25% more than you need.
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
Old Feb 09, 2016, 12:37 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
10,496 Posts
The Assassin is the toughest plane on the planet but the Grim Reaper is not far behind. They use very similar building techniques. The Grim Reaper has more spars in it for increased strength than the Assassin does.

Locally are flyers are flying more Grim Reapers than they are Assassins. This is because they like to fly combat and formation which keeps them in close proximity to each other which is easier with a slightly larger plane. The Grim Reaper also has an excellent glide making it a great sloper and also a easy airplane to fly.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by Plattenwerk
I call it 'landing'...
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Jan 2014
128 Posts
Quote:
It also took a small chunk from right wingtip
After ripping chunks out of wingtip and elevator several times (it wasn't me; it was my radio) I glued cable ties on both LE. No prob so far.
Plattenwerk is offline Find More Posts by Plattenwerk
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:54 AM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
10,496 Posts
Using the wire ties is a great idea.

I don't know if you have seen how we do shock cord on the combat planes. If you are crashing enough you are having to do repairs on your wing frequently you may want to add a shock cord. Take a look at what we do in this video at minute 1:56. I have done this on a couple of my slow flyers and it does prevent chunks from coming out.

Widowmaker #1 Building the EPP Wing (6 min 4 sec)
Old Feb 15, 2016, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by mpmilesjr
Joined Mar 2013
14 Posts
I pulled the trigger today on the dual wing albatross kit. I'm excited to build a tough and fun FPV platform.
I've been piloting a Flitetest FT Explorer and loving that for a few months. The modular nature is super fun to experiment with. Of course DT foam doesn't last like EPP, and after repairing the explorer several times I'm ready to build up a bird to carry my preferred gear on a more permanent basis.
I believe the albatross will serve me well for this goal. I had a tough choice at first between the storm chaser and albatross as I've got electronics for both in my box. The storm chaser surely handles a gopro AND fpv gear plus a big battery no problem, but two wings in a kit and that convenient 48"wingspan sealed the deal on the albatross (a dual wing storm chaser kit could've easily tipped the scale the other way if it were an option... a'hem, cough, Lee)
I picked the dual wing kit to give me some options for experimentation. I see the poly wing being great for relaxing days training my dad to fly some FPV after he progresses through the flight modes of his eflite apprentice s. I also love to fly in wind :-)!!! The aileron wing combined with a flight stabilizer will be the next step and I see this plane getting flown more than my others at that point.
I love the videos of people purposely crashing, and the design concept as a whole seems spot on for what I want to do. Once it arrives and I start the build I'll add some pictures and possibly a YouTube video or something. Hooray!
mpmilesjr is offline Find More Posts by mpmilesjr
Last edited by mpmilesjr; Feb 15, 2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by raybea528
Ray
United States, CT, Plainfield
Joined Dec 2012
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabeguache View Post

Also,
raybea528, I've got to say how cool your twin engine looks. You've inspired me, something like that is definitely going on my project list. The flaps, the paint job, it all looks awesome!
Thanks! Just catching up on this thread and saw your note. I have 3 Albatross'. They make a great platform to experiment with, like the flaps and the twin motors. I've put landing gear on this one as well as snow skis, and I've flown it FPV. I bought the latest MPX Twin Brushless (kit) and was disappointed with it...I think my Albatross twin flies better!
raybea528 is offline Find More Posts by raybea528
Old Feb 18, 2016, 06:01 PM
Joined Mar 2013
14 Posts
Albatross Kit assembly

Wow this thing got here fast!
Everything arrived in pretty good condition. My only complaint about the contents of the kit is that the center section of my polyhedral wing has a small imperfection/hole going clear through it. I would consider this an error in the material as it seems to be more of a popped bubble exposed by cutting the foam than a poked hole. Nonetheless, the kit wasn't perfect.
Besides that one flaw, I like the included hardware and every other part of the kit seems to be of high quality. The foam feels very light and yet has a nice solid feel when bopped around a little. After getting through the first few steps of the build and assembling one wing, I'm now sure this will be a great flying project.
Shaving the foam slivers off made a mess of my shop floor. I used a disposable razor to get the hairs. Next step was pinning and hinging the horizontal and vert stabs and inserting the horizontal stabs carbon spar. The goop was easy to use and it's now drying as I proceed through more steps.
Next I found the poly wing spars were easy to glue, and the tips of the poly wing went on without much fuss. I sealed up the remaining slits with hot glue after trimming the spars and voila! It looked quite presentable.
I'm now deciding what colors to paint this bird and setting things up to start on the fuselage. I've only used a hobby iron once to get some wrinkles out of a balsa ARF, so I hope that step comes out looking nice.
Attached are a few pictures of the kit in the box as I received it and my build so far.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:33 AM
Joined Mar 2013
14 Posts
More Albatross Kit build

I have the dowels placed in the fuselage and the motor boom test fit. I decided to start cutting the fuselage out and reinforcing the nose for camera gear. I made a gopro size cut into the top of the nose at a suitable viewing angle. I saved the cutout foam piece SO I've got a foam blank to fill the gopro hole or make a modular nose mount motor rig or something.
Next I skinned the nose with a 2" wide piece of thin white milk bottle plastic I flattened with a heat gun. I added a trimmed piece of the original Formica nose plate at the rear vertical section of the camera cutout. I plan to add a small plate just above the formica to hold my super HAD camera on its little tilt mount. Later plans include upgrading to a pan tilt up front, so a solid place to put it will already be there. I'm deciding where to place my video tx and how I want to do the lamination as I go on to another step in this build.
Now I'm working on the aileron wing. I'm thinking of doing a flap mod from the start. MG servos for the ailerons and plastic 9g for the flaps to save some weight.