The Newton Skykings are very proud to have been selected as the host site of the 2012 world famous SPADFEST. We are hoping to have great event and to provide a location to match.
What is this you might ask? SPADFEST is a traveling flying event that has been held at many different sites over the years. At this event people build and fly creations made from Coroplast, foam or whatever material they can engineer into a plane! These planes are often self-designed or modeled from full size planes from the past and present. These pilots bring their pride and joy to participate in fun flying, contests, or simply to reminisce about previous events, great contest wins, last year’s greatest crash, the fastest plane, or just how everyone is doing and how darn glad they are to see each other again. New faces are always welcome and this will become a must do event that will make your calendar ever year.
Newton Skykings Field
OUR FLYING SITE
Newton Skykings is very proud of our facilities and are excited to invite all of you to join us during SF2012. Our club features a 20’ x 350’ asphalt runway with approximately an additional 350’ of grass run out on the ends. In addition to we have a 400 sq.ft. climate controlled club house. Our location has plenty of room for camping and parking but no hook-ups are available for campers.
Electricity. We have power to do about anything except heat or cool anything other than our club house. We do have a permanent battery charging station located outside but it is A/C only. You will need to bring a D/C converter. We are working on a larger D/C source but as of this writing, it is not available.
Water. We do have running water available from a outside hydrant which is about 50 degrees year round. We will not be setting up any temporary showers for this event mainly because of the large quantity of runoff water that would have to be dealt with.
Our contest directors will post official Rules on a future dedicated thread. Nick Weber, Eli Lockwood, and Ben Van Haaften
• SSC and Open Class
• This contest of design with basic rules which will focus on a 46 size motor and a non-detachable variable weight. The heaviest successful pre-determined flight plan plane wins.
• As usual fastest plane with a coroplast wing.
PLANE OF 2012
• The….Pizza Box any size any variation just build one
1. Everyone must show proof of insurance
such as a current AMA membership card. We are not an AMA club and choose to purchase our own insurance. Most of the Newton Skykings are also individual members of AMA.
2. SPUD Guns
or any other projectile devices
are strictly forbidden.
are allowed but only in our club’s fire ring.
4. Flying Safety
• Our club as any other is greatly concerned with everyone’s safety. We will have daily safety/ pilot meeting
to remind, encourage, and enforce guidelines that will need to be followed. (Team Abby is the club safety officer - if he thinks it’s dangerous…you better listen)
• Radio Impound
will be handled by self management of the PIN BOARD.
5. Glow or gas powered planes must not be flown after dark
. Bring plenty of electrics so we can fly all night.
FOOD and COSTS
• Through a posted poll, we will decide as a group what meal option will be offered. Majority vote will decide from the four choices below. The actual costs for the plans are yet to be determined, but will be comparable to previous years.
• Polling will be open for 30 days, and at that time the Attendance Fees
will also be
announced. At that time a paypal option should be available.
• Our club is very excited to offer any option, but it is important to us that we deliver a SPADFEST that is affordable to all.
The Four Choices for Meal Plans for Friday, June 8 and Saturday, June 9:
1. No food
- everyone is on their own.
2. Saturday night only
- grilled ribeyes, potatoes, salads, and dessert.
3. Friday & Saturday lunch, and Saturday supper
- Deli or sub sandwiches (pre-prepared) and chips both Friday and Saturday at lunch time. In addition, Saturday night - grilled ribeyes, potatoes, salads, and dessert.
4. Full meal Plan
- This would be same as Option #3, but also include a basic continental breakfast for 3 mornings and a grilled meal on Friday night also.