Old Sep 04, 2006, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
Data
Best Wire Gauge Chart Ever!!

I was going through my papers on my desk and I came a cross the Wire Gauge Chart that I reference whenever I discuss Motor Design, wire amperages, wire sizes, etc. It is an 8-page document that I downloaded off the web about a year ago. Out of all the Wire Gauge Charts I have seen, this one is the most complete chart out there. It has all the various wire types in the same chart including AWG, BWG, SWG and Metric MM gauge sizes. The chart covers EVERY wire gauge size, including the AWG half-sizes, from 6/0 wire to 60 AWG.

Included in the chart is the Gauge Size, Wire Diameter in both inches and millimeters, Comparitive cross reference to the nearest size in the other gauge units, AWG, BWG and SWG, and finally the cross sectional area of each wire in Circular Mils. It is truly the definitive Wire Gauge Chart.

As a service to the RC Groups Community, I figured that I would look up the web site where I downloaded the chart from, and post a link here. Well, it turns out that the company that originally poseted this list got bought out, and the new company pulled the chart off the web server! What a bummer! I checked both of my computers, Looking for the file, but I could not find a saved copy of the document anywhere.

Since I may have the last printed copy of this document within the RC motor building community, I though it would be best to preserve it for posterity, so I scanned each of the 8 pages of this document into my computer in order to save them. I ended up scanning them at 300DPI to get good quality without having the files be too huge. Once I had the scans, I took each one and color corrected the background to make them as white as I could, cleaned up any stray pixel dots, bumped up the contrast and saved them all as both Adobe PDF files and as High and Low resolution JPEG files. All together it took about 3 hours to get everything right, but in the end it was worth it.

So the end result is that I have this 8-page document preserved, and am now offering it to anyone that wants a copy here on RC Groups. Each page of the document is attached below in PDF format. For those of you that do not want to download unnecessary pages, I put the size range of the wire gauges covered on each page's description below. (Not too many people are going to be winding motors with 5/0 wire that is 1/2" in diameter!) The files are approximately 500 KB per page, so even the dial up users can download them at the rate of about 2 minutes per page.

UPDATE: I noticed tha Ham2405 found the original PDF made from a Word document that is way smaller than my scans are. The entire document is only 47 KB so it is MUCH more user friendly and easier to download if you are on dial-up. Scroll down to post #5 to get this streamlined version.

I would really like to see this thread preserved as a Sticky at the top of the Electric Motor Design and Construction forum, since it is such a great reference tool. Any Mods that may come across this, please see what you can do to make this happen.

Hopefully the rest of you can get some use out of this chart, and the data contained within.

Enjoy!

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Last edited by LBMiller5; Sep 07, 2006 at 12:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2006, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by olmod
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,576 Posts
Thanks Lucien ,it will save my eyes as i use a book thats printed small
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Sep 04, 2006, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by vintage1
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,709 Posts
pity it doesn't do SWG as well
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 04, 2006, 06:37 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
Vintage1,

You need to go back and read the last part of the first paragraph again which states:

"It has all the various wire types in the same chart including AWG, BWG, SWG and Metric MM gauge sizes. The chart covers EVERY wire gauge size, including the AWG half-sizes, from 6/0 wire to 60 AWG."

What do you think about that!

Lucien
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2006, 08:36 PM
Find More Posts by ham2405
KC5UH transmits -------->
Arlington, Texas
Joined Aug 2002
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMiller5
As a service to the RC Groups Community, I figured that I would look up the web site where I downloaded the chart from, and post a link here. Well, it turns out that the company that originally poseted this list got bought out, and the new company pulled the chart off the web server! What a bummer! I checked both of my computers, Looking for the file, but I could not find a saved copy of the document anywhere.

Lucien
I recognized the first page when I downloaded it . Here is the original as downloaded from wherever it came. I don't remember now. It's also quite small.

David
ham2405 is offline Find More Posts by ham2405
Old Sep 04, 2006, 10:32 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
Ham,

Where were you a few hours ago! That would have saved me a bunch of work!

I took the company name off the ones that I made, since they were not producing the document any more. Glad that someone else had a copy of the original!

Lucien
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2006, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by Pete P
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Awesome! But I wish it had resistance/ft data for copper wire :-( The last page I find extremely useful, being that anything above 45AWG is like... Theoretical on the web? :-P
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:06 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
Yes, that would be a great addition to the chart. With that it would truly be the Ultimate Wire Gauge Chart!

Lucien
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:39 PM
Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
How about the ultimate wire guage URL???

It's related to the car audio biz but just as relevant!!!

http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

Enjoy!!!
B

p.s. Gauges, resistance, voltage drop, on and on....
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Sep 05, 2006, 12:07 AM
Find More Posts by ham2405
KC5UH transmits -------->
Arlington, Texas
Joined Aug 2002
678 Posts
I have Adobe Acrobat and checked the document security settings and they are all locked by password except printing, so I cannot edit the document in any manner. So what we have is it.

David
ham2405 is offline Find More Posts by ham2405
Old Sep 05, 2006, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by BeavrdamElectric
Beaverdam Creek, VA
Joined Aug 2005
2,322 Posts
I thought I posted here yesterday, I must have messed up. Anyway...

Thanks for the time & effort, Lucien! Looks handy.

Good Luck!
BeavrdamElectric is offline Find More Posts by BeavrdamElectric
Old Sep 05, 2006, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
7,009 Posts
thanks for this lucien and also david for the original

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Sep 05, 2006, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by Chippie
North East England UK
Joined Jan 2003
1,434 Posts
Guyz, thanks from me too......Very invaluable..
Chippie is offline Find More Posts by Chippie
Old Sep 05, 2006, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by philosophicle_1
Slowly Approaching 1,000
Detroit (area), MI
Joined Mar 2004
923 Posts
Ham, what do you want to edit, I can probably take care of it.
philosophicle_1 is offline Find More Posts by philosophicle_1
Old Sep 05, 2006, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by B.L.E.
multi-hundredaire
Joined Jul 2006
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete P
Awesome! But I wish it had resistance/ft data for copper wire :-( The last page I find extremely useful, being that anything above 45AWG is like... Theoretical on the web? :-P
Ohms per ft at 20 degrees C. = 10.68/circular mils

Ohms per meter=35.05/circular mils.
B.L.E. is offline Find More Posts by B.L.E.