Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,850 Posts
Gallery
Ov-10 bronco on floats

Hey out there,

I'd like to share a couple of pic's of the Hobby Hangar OV-10 Bronco, that my friend Bill Bryant built. The kit was designed for two .25 2 strokes, and was converted to electric power. Motors are two Turnigy 32 size, with two 60A esc's, driving master Airscrew 11-7 counter rotating props. Batteries are two 4C, 3200 mah, 30C's. All up weight is 10 pounds. Floats are the Thunder Tiger ABS type, with no water rudder used. The float struts are bent up flat aluminum stock. The plane was built as per the instructions, with the wing extensions. Batteries are under the cockpit, with a hatch for access. The maiden flight went well, there were several firsts for me on this flight; first electric float plane, first twin engine model, first twin engine float plane . Decals are by Callie Graphics.
OV-10 Bronco on floats maiden flight (3 min 15 sec)

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Last edited by the goon; Feb 27, 2015 at 12:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2015, 06:35 AM
Find More Posts by Himat
Norway
Joined Jan 2009
102 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

Nice pictures of the airplane and fun to see a model of a OV-10 on floats. I have seen a pictures of a mock up of the original on floats, but don't know if the full size ever was flown with floats.
Himat is offline Find More Posts by Himat
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
1,000 Posts
Wow, flies well, and looks like it handles great on the water. Nice!
Fast Freddy is online now Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:14 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himat View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Nice pictures of the airplane and fun to see a model of a OV-10 on floats. I have seen a pictures of a mock up of the original on floats, but don't know if the full size ever was flown with floats.
Himat,

Thanks. I have that photo also; don't believe the full size mockup ever flew. In doing research for this project, I found quite a lot of information on L.A.R.A. (light armed reconnaissance aircraft). Look up aircraft like the Helio 1320, Beech PD 183, Lockheed CL-760, General Dynamics/Convair Model 48 "CHARGER", Douglas D-855, Goodyear GA 39. Very interesting stuff.

Mark
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
Wow, flies well, and looks like it handles great on the water. Nice!
Freddy,

Thanks, it does fly well. I got real lucky, considering this was my first twin engine model of any kind.

Mark
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by Himat
Norway
Joined Jan 2009
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the goon View Post
Himat,

Thanks. I have that photo also; don't believe the full size mockup ever flew. In doing research for this project, I found quite a lot of information on L.A.R.A. (light armed reconnaissance aircraft). Look up aircraft like the Helio 1320, Beech PD 183, Lockheed CL-760, General Dynamics/Convair Model 48 "CHARGER", Douglas D-855, Goodyear GA 39. Very interesting stuff.

Mark
I have not read much detail on more than the Convair Model 48 "Charger" as I bought the "Naval fighters number thirty - nine" booklet. It's where I did see the picture of the OV-10 on floats too,
Himat is offline Find More Posts by Himat
Old Mar 22, 2015, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by soaringtuna
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jul 2004
185 Posts
I think they experimented with it dropping torpedo if I'm not mistaken... I was looking for scale torpedo droppers that are on a two float setup and found this, and of course the He-115, and the Lacotere.

Nicely done! Now, the scale torpedo please.
soaringtuna is offline Find More Posts by soaringtuna
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:34 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,850 Posts
Soarintuna,

Thanks. I was pretty surprised that it flew so well the first time . Dropping a torpedo would be very interesting. Float flying is my favorite type of rc flying. The He-115 would be a cool project also.

Mark