HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2014, 04:31 PM
Sweden, Linkoping
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Discussion
Basher SaberTooth 1/8 scale Truggy from HK

So I thought I'd post some close-ups of the HK Basher SaberTooth 1/8 scale Truggy as the retailer's site is a bit lacking in this department. Also, I've got the manual they don't post, and a short review.
tramsgar is offline Find More Posts by tramsgar
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2014, 04:41 PM
Sweden, Linkoping
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Cannot post the manual yet, sorry, too big, but here's the review (please not that I got it from the EU warehouse, so YMMV):

The product video does this car fair justice, it's quite fast and runs stable on ground. Though it's heavy, it can take low jumps without smashing the chassis plate in the ground if you just stiffen the shocks. You may want to consider harder springs.

It's quite heavy but takes off with good speed. Low speeds is not that easy as, being sensorless, the lowest speed is quite high, but with some training it works out fine - not a rock climber anyways...

One thing to check for is the wheels: One of mine just about fell off when trimming it in, the nut (17 mm) wasn't fastened properly. Three of four wheels were also skewed, probably because the car is not prodded up in the box (add heat during transport and the wheels get deformed by the car's weight). When not falling of or being skewed the wheels are quite nice, though, good grip, perfect softness. It'll leave skid marks on floors...

The car arrived safely (not like the smashed Trooper SCT from the same vendor/warehouse), I must've been lucky with transportation - the box does not offer much protection - check thoroughly on arrival. On the other hand this is a very sturdy car, no flimsy details found so far, but rather even and good durability overall. The part I think will break first, and most often, is the diff case because that's the hub that connects the wheels and the shock towers to the chassis. They survived me cartwheeling it though so they can't be that weak. I'll comment here in the future on how it holds up.

Regarding motor upgradeability there is certainly space and screw holes (only two used by stock motor mount) available to do that. In my taste it is underpowered, though.

Overall I'd recommend this car to anyone who want a big and cool truggy that's easy and cheap to maintain and repair. For seriously abusive bashing the sibling Nitro Circus might be a better option with its bigger wheels.
Old May 20, 2014, 02:49 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,669 Posts
Nice review, gives a good impression what to expect. As for wobbly wheels, it can sometimes help to re-mount these with the rim turned 1/6th revolution in regard to the hex. Tighten again and test wheel tracking in the new position. If not right, remove wheel, and again turn it 1/6th in regard to the hex. Sometimes you can then find a position with zero wobble, or at least reduce it considerably.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2014, 03:48 PM
Sweden, Linkoping
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Thanks for the tip on fixing the wheels! I'll probably have a lot more luck with that than with the HK CS... ;-)
Old May 20, 2014, 04:44 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,669 Posts
Glad to help. Sometimes it can even matter if you remove the hex from the axle, then rotate it 180 degrees, and put back (if the hex is fitted on a pin through the axle) This gives you another 6 positions to select, for getting the one position where the wheel will have zero, or minimal wobble.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2014, 10:32 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,622 Posts
Glad you started a thread. I was about to. I like this truggy. I have been wanting a larger 1/5 scale, but this looks much more practical. Tell us more about how you like it. Looks like a great value. Are different tires/wheels available in this size from other manufacturers?
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old May 21, 2014, 04:31 AM
Sweden, Linkoping
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Glad you started a thread. I was about to. I like this truggy. I have been wanting a larger 1/5 scale, but this looks much more practical. Tell us more about how you like it. Looks like a great value. Are different tires/wheels available in this size from other manufacturers?
I'll post back more experiences once I've given it a few thorough bashing sessions! It's quite heavy and large and at least for me I don't see the desire to go bigger...

I guess there are a lot of wheel options from other vendors/manufacturers, there's no upper limit on wheel size for example, other than you'd need to gear down on the pinion. It's sibling model, the Nitro Circus 1/8 monster truck wheels should fit, far example, as they share the wheel hub part.

So I'll give as much feedback on this model as I can but I'm quite new on cars this size unfortunately so in general I'll leave the modding options etc to you experienced guys.
Old May 21, 2014, 06:18 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,622 Posts
It would be nice to have a street/dirt tread in this size. Those little spikes will become slicks on pavement in only one run. The 3.8 tires are all monster truck I think. Proline trenchers would be good on this for bashing. Those are track tires on it now.
Old May 23, 2014, 06:28 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,622 Posts
So wait, no one has ordered? I want one. Waiting for a buddy code for the USA warehouse. Come on, if I use your buddy code, you get the discount too in your credits! You know you wanna!
Old May 28, 2014, 10:12 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,622 Posts
OK, I went ahead and did it! So I will be the guinea pig. It's ordered. Of course THIS order had to get the stuck as unpaid bug again and live chat is closed right now. I sent them a message. I'm sure they will fix it. Just as long as they fix it before it sells out. Now I need some nice street/dirt tread tires and wheels for it. 1/8 scale. Ugh! This is going to be expensive! Car is cheap, tho! Shipping was $23.71 for UPS. As I am a UPS driver and they pay me well I have no right to complain. It comes right back to my pocket is how I see it!

OK, I have the last three posts here! There has got to be more interest. Lots of activity on other boards on this car.
Old May 31, 2014, 10:10 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,622 Posts
Good news and bad news. First, I bought the last suspension pins on HK. Hopefully they will restock within a few weeks. The good news that tires listed as weighing 19g so shipping will be cheap. Here is a buddy code to make them even cheaper. I'd jump on those tires.

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-F3B18099289C
Old May 31, 2014, 03:25 PM
Sweden, Linkoping
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Ok shahram there's interest for sure, but I haven't had the opportunity to run it more than twice since last and haven't really got much to report yet. I tried to make a video of it with some slo-mo and fpv but I had to abort when the inner sponge flew out of the front right wheel... Seems like a crappy glue job, and I spent an evening reglueing them all to make sure it wouldn't happen again, and the next run went fine.

I'd like to try some small jumps to see how it handles, but until I get the harder springs it'll have to be just 1-2 dm or it'll bottom out. Still the stock springs handle turns well, once adjusted, imho.

Some spare seem to have been exhausted quite quickly, like the shocks. Probably for use on other cars. I know I've had a hard time finding good shocks for the 1/10 Trooper SCT gone through other 1/10 cars' spares. The one I'd really like to have is the diff box case which I think will be the first thing to break in almost any crash. And yes as usual the "weight" of the spares are all over the landscape =). The first mod would be to retrofit some other car's front bumper, maybe the Nitro Circus. Just to save money...
Old May 31, 2014, 04:24 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,669 Posts
Shocks are often a weaker spot on cheap cars, either leak, or just don't do what they should do. Springs help, but the shock should also dampen the impact. Perhaps it's running too thin oil, or is not fully filled.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2014, 05:27 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,622 Posts
Here is an option for a bumper. I have bought their custom bumpers before but this one is a blank.

http://t-bone-racing.net/TBR-Blanks-...ggy-p1417.html
Old Jun 01, 2014, 06:16 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,622 Posts
Some new info. This car is the Acme Dominator. Lots of info online and on Youtube when youn search for that. Although it appears the motor battery layout is different.

And in my search I found that one guy in Russia uses 3.8 wheels and monster truck tires. So I am thinking about these:
PRoline Trenchers already mounted!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXAELP&P=K