HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 14, 2014, 06:49 PM
Joined May 2014
2 Posts
Help!
Accucel 6 voltage readout problem.

I bought an authentic accucel 6 charger and a power supply a couple weeks ago from hobbyking.com. When I got it, the reading was off for the voltage, so I put it into programming mode and calibrated the voltage reading to be equal with what my cell checker said. No problem. Then, I adjusted the charging settings to 2.2a for my 2200 mah 3s lipo. No problem. I charged my lipo, and took it off the charger when it said 12.60v. Proper charger reading, proper lipo reading. Then recently, I plugged in my lipo to charge. The voltage reading on the charger was 0.05-0.12v off from what the battery was supposed to be. Okay, i guess i need to mess with the calibration. However, the calibration screen showed the correct voltage. So I tried going back to charging seeing if it was just a glitch. Nope, the charging screen still shows it wrong. I've tried 2 different batteries and different charging connectors. No change. Any idea what's going on?
Acelafan123 is offline Find More Posts by Acelafan123
Last edited by Acelafan123; May 14, 2014 at 07:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2014, 01:26 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelafan123 View Post
I bought an authentic accucel 6 charger and a power supply a couple weeks ago from hobbyking.com.
Authentic ? The Acc 6 is like all other 6's ... derived from the Bantam charger and the iMax

Quote:
.........I charged my lipo, and took it off the charger when it said 12.60v. Proper charger reading, proper lipo reading.
Did it FINISH charging automatically or did you manually stop it ?

Quote:
Then recently, I plugged in my lipo to charge. The voltage reading on the charger was 0.05-0.12v off from what the battery was supposed to be.
Not unusual for pack to drop back a little .. 0.05V is a little bit higher than I'd expect as long as pack is FULLY charged ... not manually stopped.

Quote:
Okay, i guess i need to mess with the calibration. However, the calibration screen showed the correct voltage. So I tried going back to charging seeing if it was just a glitch. Nope, the charging screen still shows it wrong. I've tried 2 different batteries and different charging connectors. No change. Any idea what's going on?
Have you just tried letting the charger do it's job without playing with it ? How much was the voltage of anyway ?

As to calibrating with a Cell Checker ... to be honest I would believe the charger more than the Cell Checker ..... which are really made to be field checker use.

Also don't forget that the charger will be displaying voltage based on a load ... not free voltage as the checker does. I too have a slight difference viewing cell voltages against a checker ...

My thoughts anyway ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old May 15, 2014, 02:40 PM
Joined May 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Authentic ? The Acc 6 is like all other 6's ... derived from the Bantam charger and the iMax

what i mean is that there are chinese copies of the accucel 6. Mine is a genuine accucel 6, not a cheap clone of it. Telling me what chargers the accucel 6 derived from has no relevance to my statement,

Did it FINISH charging automatically or did you manually stop it ?

12.6 is the voltage 3s lipos read when they are finished, so that's when it was stopped

Not unusual for pack to drop back a little .. 0.05V is a little bit higher than I'd expect as long as pack is FULLY charged ... not manually stopped.
the pack can't be fully charged, since the chargers shows 12.6v while the lipo meter doesn't.

Have you just tried letting the charger do it's job without playing with it ? How much was the voltage of anyway ?

do you realize how condescending, yet clueless you are? The charger's job is to charge the pack accurately, and correctly. However, it's charging it to a voltage that isn't full. I already stated it's 0.05-0.12v off

As to calibrating with a Cell Checker ... to be honest I would believe the charger more than the Cell Checker ..... which are really made to be field checker use.
If the charger was more accurate than the cell checker, the charger wouldn't have a calibration mode, obviously.

Also don't forget that the charger will be displaying voltage based on a load ... not free voltage as the checker does. I too have a slight difference viewing cell voltages against a checker ...
I have experienced this, but with only a 0.01v difference. BUT my main point of this whole thread was that the charger wasn't always like this. What the charger does now is it reads the correct voltage immediately when it starts charging the battery, but 2 seconds later it jumps up 0.05v-0.12v, which is the incorrect voltage.

My thoughts anyway ...

Nigel
I have replied to your quote with my comments. I do appreciate you trying to help, but it could have been done in a more professional manner.
Acelafan123 is offline Find More Posts by Acelafan123
Old May 15, 2014, 03:10 PM
Joined Aug 2013
71 Posts
My Accucel 8 does similarly. It gives correct voltage readings in the calibration mode but when charging a 3S battery to 12.6, measuring with my volt meter, I read around 12.53 after charge completes and I have removed the battery. Whether or not it can be made more accurate, I'm unsure, but given the charger only cost me ~$46, I'm not complaining. As long as it's not charging over 12.6v and no less than about 12.5v, I'm happy. I do know the closer you want the battery to 12.6v without the chance of having a load voltage greater than 12.6v, the smaller the charge current needs to be. Maybe the charger is just quitting at what you could consider as to high a lower limit current flow. Would explain why the charger seems more precise than accurate.

Not that my post solves your problem, but I am letting you know I am familiar with it (it may be common.)
Sefrez is offline Find More Posts by Sefrez
Last edited by Sefrez; May 15, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old May 15, 2014, 03:37 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelafan123 View Post
I have replied to your quote with my comments. I do appreciate you trying to help, but it could have been done in a more professional manner.
Well forgive me for being civil and trying to help ....

Quote:
what i mean is that there are chinese copies of the accucel 6. Mine is a genuine accucel 6, not a cheap clone of it. Telling me what chargers the accucel 6 derived from has no relevance to my statement,
Accucel is a copy ... its Original Brand Label that's all.

Quote:
12.6 is the voltage 3s lipos read when they are finished, so that's when it was stopped
I asked if YOU manually stopped it at 12.6 .. which is what your original post implies, and still implies in this quote - "it was stopped" instead of "when it stopped". If you left it to complete on it's own automatically - they usually show 12.6v for some significant time as the packs balance out final part .. before beeping FULL.

Quote:
the pack can't be fully charged, since the chargers shows 12.6v while the lipo meter doesn't.
Further supports my original question - Did you stop the charger or did it automatically stop ? A perfectly civil question - so we can understand.

Quote:
do you realize how condescending, yet clueless you are? The charger's job is to charge the pack accurately, and correctly. However, it's charging it to a voltage that isn't full. I already stated it's 0.05-0.12v off
WOW .. what a reply !
Lets see what you actually said shall we ... "Then recently, I plugged in my lipo to charge. The voltage reading on the charger was 0.05-0.12v off from what the battery was supposed to be. " ... which implies that you charged up a LiPo and later put it back on the charger ...
My reply to that was that it is not unusual to see a small drop in voltage .. but I also said which agrees with your view that 0.05 - 0.12 is too large a drop. So what's ****** condescending about that ... or are you just usually rude to anyone trying to help ?

Quote:
If the charger was more accurate than the cell checker, the charger wouldn't have a calibration mode, obviously.
That must be one of the daftest statements ...
Calibration function assumes that you will be using a suitable accurate instrument such as Fluke or decent Voltmeter to reference to ... not a cheap $ ***** cell checker !
So my Laboratory should be using a Cell Checker to calibrate it's instruments ? If so - I can save thousands in not needing expensive gear.... I can use a $5 checker.

Quote:
I have experienced this, but with only a 0.01v difference. BUT my main point of this whole thread was that the charger wasn't always like this. What the charger does now is it reads the correct voltage immediately when it starts charging the battery, but 2 seconds later it jumps up 0.05v-0.12v, which is the incorrect voltage.
Is this the only charger you've watched ? Ever watched a meter on a car battery charger ? Other charger meters ? They often display such as the voltage fluctuates during constant current charging. In fact you can see even greater variance.

Quote:
Well sorry you feel that way - as far as I'm concerned - I was not rude, I was perfectly civil - trying to obtain a little more detail to see if there was any help or suggestion. But I see you have no need of any assistance ... so good luck.

Hope you are more courteous to others who may consider answering you.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old May 15, 2014, 03:50 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,232 Posts
Calibration is relative to a known GOOD reference.
A cell checker is NOT a good reference. I also would believe the charger before the checker. They are known to be inaccurate.
You should check finished individual cells with a multimeter and unless you have an extraordinarily accurate one that could be off a little too. As long as it's trivial, don't worry too much about.
FWIW a good number of very knowledgeable folks prefer to charge to 4.1-4.15v to save some wear and tear on the lipos. Under charge a bit hurts nothing. Over charge is where damage starts.

Being off 0.05v is negligible, 0.12v is not much to be too excited about.

It's a charger. That style of charger shows is the cell voltage + the charger input. You cannot quite believe the screen. When charging on high rates you really can't believe it at all. When it drops to ~0.1v it's pretty close.

Yes, the AC-6 is a clone. There are dozens of clones, all of the Bantam. Within that subcategory is fakes of these clones, like the IMAX B6. What sets one clone apart from the others is quality of the components and assembly, something that is very very hard to determine unless you know a lot about this kind of stuff.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old May 15, 2014, 03:51 PM
3RN13
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Feb 2008
411 Posts
nothing to add
ernie b is offline Find More Posts by ernie b
Last edited by ernie b; May 15, 2014 at 04:17 PM.
Closed Thread