United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Dec 2000
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnmosaic View Post
Guys,

Just ordered these from Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390843833325

If I have them before weekend, I will keep you posted if they fit and how well they fit - Fingers crossed now
If you got these working we'd all like to hear how well they worked and what the installation details are.

Bob
bobandris is offline Find More Posts by bobandris
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:34 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,907 Posts
For anyone who's interested, I got a Du-Bro 2" diameter 3-blade spinner, and a Master Airscrew 10x5x3 and 10x7x3 props to try.

I used a freshly charged (For each run) Turnigy 3s 2200mah 30-40C lipo, and with the stock 2 blade 11x5.5, maxed out at 31.5 amps.

The 10x5x3 maxed out at 28.9A, the 10x7x3 at 36.2A.

All quickly dropped a few amps within a few seconds. The max amperage listed for the motor Mike at MPX suggested was probably the same, was 32A.

As you can see in the photo, the 2" spinner is a perfect fit, though I had to tighten the prop adapter a little away from bottomed out to keep the back of the spinner from rubbing the foam of the fuselage, but very little. It could easily be shaved a little. I had to shave a little plastic from the inside of the spinner as the plastic the screws pass through is very thick, and rubbed the hub of the prop enough to spread the spinner open a little and make it not fit the backplate well. I also tried without balancing the Master Airscrews, and they ran smooooth! A nice surprise!

Well, I'm gonna try the 10x5x3 tomorrow and have the 10x7x3 handy, too. I'll get back with what I think.

Name: 3 blade.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 330.5 KB
Description: MPX Pilatus with 2" Dubro spinner and 3 blade Master Airscrew prop.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:44 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,478 Posts
You did the correct calculations for stepping from a 2 to 3 blade prop. The stock is 11x5.5 so a 3 blade would work out to 9 x 7.5 to 10 x7.5. I prefer the MAS props but they do draw higher amperage as a rule. They also sound better in the air than the APC.

Were the watts on the 10x5x3 around 300?
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:04 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,907 Posts
I didn't remember the watts, but mathematically at 28.9A with a 12.6v battery, that's over 360 watts. I'll try to remember to verify it at the field tomorrow.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:12 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,478 Posts
Once a load is put on the battery the cell voltage usually drops to 3.3 volts per cell. On lipos I tend to use 3.3 to 3.7 volts per cell to get a range estimate. Of course, the watt meter is the best way to know.

Regardless, 290 to 330 watts should make this plane zoom along real nice.

ETA: E-flite actually has a pretty good explaination about this ....

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Hi...odID=EFLM4010A
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Sep 13, 2014 at 11:22 PM. Reason: wording and add link
Old Sep 14, 2014, 01:01 AM
Joined Jun 2007
1,907 Posts
Good article, and it probably explains why my first attempt at re powering a model came out weak. Thanks for the link. But what I don't understand is wouldn't that be considered voltage sag, and cause the esc to go into lvc?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,907 Posts
LOL! I just checked in to report how much I liked the 10x5x3 on the Pilatus, and realized I forgot to throw the wattmeter on! Anyway, she flew great with the new prop. Still plenty of speed for me, and like Lou said, sounds great, like a little turboprop! The new prop and spinner are staying! I'll try to remember the watt reading next time.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 05:20 PM
Ichy to Build and Fly.
United States, FL, Davie
Joined Feb 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandris View Post
If you got these working we'd all like to hear how well they worked and what the installation details are.

Bob
Bob

Definitely - I am still fiddling with them

Will keep you posted in next couple of days

Thanks
Mosaic
rnmosaic is offline Find More Posts by rnmosaic
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:25 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
932 Posts
I have put homemade struts on my blue PC-6 and they seem to be working just fine. Struts on both planes I have broke. I used a brass tube that fits just right and soldered a small piece of the next size tube to it to position the spring. added shrink wrap on the top section and a bit of CA to ensure the spring stays in place. Also cut a small piece of ply and inserted where the main wire sits in the fuselage so it won't pop out and secured that with a screw.

Added a water rudder to my red one with the floats and that is also working well. Used a modified water rudder from a Flyzone Beaver and used pull-pull fishing line to operate it. I use a section of nylon tube to get the line from the fuselage down to the float.

I had a lot of trouble with the red version on floats. Ended up replacing both the aileron servos on the wing. Was able to lift the servo out of the wing, cut off the wires, and solder another servo (HS-55) into place. The servo lead can be pulled back far enough so you have plenty of room to solder on a replacement. Now works great.

Joe
Multiplex Pilatus PC-6 at KVMA (3 min 47 sec)

Multiplex Pilatus PC 6 at Lily Pond (1 min 2 sec)
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:40 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,185 Posts
Nice simple mod for the struts saved until mine break, if they ever do.

And beautiful camera work and flights!
RyoOhki1701 is online now Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
Old Sep 16, 2014, 05:38 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoOhki1701 View Post
Nice simple mod for the struts saved until mine break, if they ever do.

And beautiful camera work and flights!
Thanks!
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:38 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Jul 2007
75 Posts
I just posted on another PC6 thread that if you are looking for the replacement Permax motor, it is available in the US through Advantage Hobby (Len Sabato). Even though the specs show it as 35 mm diameter, it is actually smaller than the EFlite 10 or the equivalent Turnigy spec'd at the same diameter. They are too big to fit in the plastic motor tube.
mocgp is offline Find More Posts by mocgp
Old Sep 16, 2014, 08:07 PM
United States, SC, Indian Land
Joined Oct 2013
70 Posts
Main Landing Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814 View Post
Looks like the hatch is in the nose, right in front of the front windscreen. I have attached a 400% picture of the front where you can see the hatch outline
From your images, view 181 and view 187 shows a stonger metal shock struts. Do you have any idea where these can be purchased? Please let me know. Regards, Michael Moore
Michael Moore is offline Find More Posts by Michael Moore
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
Finally got time to maiden my pc6 with the landing gear mod, which works great! very stable landing and takeoff with the wider stance. I didnt get maiden video, but this is the second flight.. also payload test. I airdropped my gopro.

Gopro Drop PC 6 Second Flight (3 min 3 sec)
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51