HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:36 PM
Joined Feb 2008
13 Posts
Build Log
Depron Hawker Hunter

Well,after 5 months beavering away in my hanger (Shed),I've completed this Hawker Hunter.Its been a bit of a learning curve.The plan came from an old 1960's balsa hunter i found on the net which was originally intended for a Jetex motor.

I scaled it up,I think it was 200% and it just so happened to turn out the exact dimensions of an RC Lander EDF Hunter that I had already built,So a nose cone and cockpit glass was ordered direct from RC Lander for the finishing touches.

I got so carried away with the build that I forgot to take too many pictures.Basically the fueslage started out like a profile model.This was then kitted out with bulkheads and formers,which was the skinned in a combination of 3mm and 6 mm depron.If you decide to try the same i would recommend doubling the amount of formers as it really helps to keep the shape of the depron when skinning it.I found this out part way through the build when my finger pushed through a weak depron fueselage wall.

The wings are solid depron reinforced with carbon fibre.I obtained the profile by making some templates for the ribs by cutting the various wing ribs from the plan out of a sheet of depron,then using the resulting hole to slide down the wing as i was building,then sanding the wing to shape until the 'jig' would just pass that part of the wing.I could probably have built a more conventional rib and skinned wing,but I've not tried that yet.Thats a tequnique for my next project,an extra or Edge or S-Bach 3D plane.The solid wings are very very strong,all good as I have to fly over various fields,sometimes some rough landings are inevitable.

It was real difficult trying to estimate the final weight and hence the powerplant required,but i knew it would probably turn out very tail heavy so I opted for a 4 cell 3300Mah battery up front with a 1400KV motor pulling a maximum 650watts with and 8 x 4 APC (550 watts) or a 9x4.7 APC (not watt tested yet)

It has a 60amp esc and 5 Turnigy Metal gear servos..There's a Bungee hook in the bottom mounted into a balsa block so i can Bungee ramp this one and avoid that pusher prop cutting my fingers and ears off!!!!

2 of the Cannon apertures are opened up with flexible tubing installed giving airflow to the battery.This then passes through to the esc.Extra airflow enters the esc compartment via the jet intakes and theres a small set of exit holes on the top of the fueselage.These may need to be opened up,but i will wait and see!!!

The majority of the airframe has been tissued and coated in Deluxe Materials EZ-Cote,and a small amount of Deluxe materials Foam Armour in some high wear areas.First usage for this product!!!

The colour scheme was from 74 squadron based at Horsham St Faiths near Norwich,which is my local city,so nice to have a local theme to this aircraft.

Just waiting for some calm weather for the maiden flight.Hope you all like my efforts.
Blindpunk1967 is offline Find More Posts by Blindpunk1967
Last edited by Blindpunk1967; Sep 04, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:58 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,551 Posts
Great Job, Blindpunk1967. I'm drooling..... I've looked at building this bird for a long time. I think she really works well with a "pusher" set up. Please keep us in the loop with maiden info.

Dennis
Dmerino is online now Find More Posts by Dmerino
Old Aug 16, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Feb 2008
13 Posts
Thanks for the comment Dennis. It really helped that the scale turned out the same as the rc lander Hunter. The cockpit and nose cone cost $4 direct from rc lander in China.The cockpit in particular made the build easier.i hope to maiden this next week.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 07:12 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,551 Posts
Good luck, Blindpunk1967 on your maiden.

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindpunk1967 View Post
Thanks for the comment Dennis. It really helped that the scale turned out the same as the rc lander Hunter. The cockpit and nose cone cost $4 direct from rc lander in China.The cockpit in particular made the build easier.i hope to maiden this next week.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:42 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,309 Posts
That's really impressive looking.
jonquinn is online now Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Feb 2008
13 Posts
Maiden Flight result

Ok guys,well,not the ideal maiden flight result!

The bungee launch hook was very slow in releasing,so much so that i decided to cut power and bring the plane down as gently as possible.I suspect i had slightly too much tension.Perhaps i should have powered up and kept going,any tales of similar experiences and what you did would be appreciated!

The result was that the plane came in reasonably straight and level but on our stubble field the left wing tip touched down first resulting in the plane trying to spin.I hadn't vouched that the combination of centrifugal force and a slightly heavier motor would result in a relatively clean snapped off fuselage just behind the rear wing root.both halves otherwise untouched!

I'm now in the process of grafting in a carbon fibre spar along 3/5 of the front and rear fuselage joining the two halves.I've had to cut away a few sections of the covering fuselage skin to gain access to wiring and to make a channel for the spar to run in,but these should be relatively easy to replace,and the plane should be able to be rebuilt as good as new.

The lesson i've learned with big pushers and big motors is don't rely on just depron and the depron skin to give enough strength...get some carbon in there!!!!

Flight 2 results will follow as soon as possible
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:07 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,551 Posts
Keep your chin up. Boy, Murphy shows up at the oddest times.

Dennis
Old Sep 04, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Feb 2008
13 Posts
Repairs ongoing

Thanks Dennis.The Hunter is now back in one piece,Strengthened and just undergoing the 'prettying up phase'.A new photo will follow in about a week.
Old Sep 05, 2013, 12:46 AM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,551 Posts
Great Luck!!!!! on your next maiden.

Dennis

Quote:
Thanks Dennis.The Hunter is now back in one piece,Strengthened and just undergoing the 'prettying up phase'.A new photo will follow in about a week.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:10 PM
Joined Feb 2008
13 Posts
Repairs complete!

Well,repairs are done.Theres now a carbon rectangled tube 2/3rds of the length of the fuselage and some flat carbon over the areas I had to join internally.Some extra bulkheads were fitted just behind the rear wing root and that area was then skinned in 6mm depron,heated and rolled.

The biggest issue was gaining access to the servo wiring,needing panels cut away to gain access which were then patched back in at the end.I've lost a small amount of the curvature in these areas,but not much,not enough to notice when it flies past!!!

Just need the hot calm weather to return for the next test flight!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:48 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,551 Posts
She still has her sexy look......

Dennis

Quote:
Well,repairs are done.Theres now a carbon rectangled tube 2/3rds of the length of the fuselage and some flat carbon over the areas I had to join internally.Some extra bulkheads were fitted just behind the rear wing root and that area was then skinned in 6mm depron,heated and rolled.

The biggest issue was gaining access to the servo wiring,needing panels cut away to gain access which were then patched back in at the end.I've lost a small amount of the curvature in these areas,but not much,not enough to notice when it flies past!!!

Just need the hot calm weather to return for the next test flight!