HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2013, 05:19 AM
Joined Dec 2002
299 Posts
Discussion
carbon tow... CA too brittle??

Folks,

I am trying to reinforce the weak Heli legs of my Eco 8 using CF.

These are made of some kind of supposedly reinforced plastic, of which, if broken, the edges are rough in appearance (maybe some kind of GRP?)

Anyhow.....the only thing that really "bites" into this is CA.

Ideally I would like to use laminating resin, where I believe the maximum benefits of CF are gained, but epoxy does not take to this plastic.

I have even tried a thin layer of CA on surface, then added a blob of epoxy to test, but epoxy easily comes away.

So..... here are my 2 questions:-
-
a) Is CA too brittle to use with CF tow?

b) If my only option is CA, is the thicker stuff slightly less brittle than the thinner CA?

Please advise.
Rgds, Steve
SteveM is offline Find More Posts by SteveM
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2013, 06:10 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,543 Posts
Carbon fiber and CA makes a great marriage. I suggest thin CA for better penetration into the many fibers of the carbon tow.
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2013, 10:00 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,769 Posts
use the flexable ca
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 27, 2013, 03:13 AM
Joined Dec 2002
299 Posts
Thanks for your responses.
-
I will experiment with straight CA firstly.
-
Found a site in the UK that compared shear strengths between different viscosity CA's.....they were identical.
(I suppose I was comparing to epoxies, where we know that the "water-like" viscosities of laminating resin sets absolutely rock hard compared with 5-minute types)
-
Rgds, Steve
SteveM is offline Find More Posts by SteveM