Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:06 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Discussion
Flyzone Mini Switch

Kind of surprised no one has mentioned this yet:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCNPW&P=ML
Back when the Tx-R stuff was first arriving I made it known that I thought a mini Switch would be ideal for me as I thought the regular Switch was much too big for the areas I had to fly in, I guess someone thought the same and decided it would be worth making a smaller version. I do need to say that I'm happy that this has been produced and I hope it flies as well as the larger version.

I probably won't use the included receiver and certainly won't be buying the RTF version, but I might toss an AS3X receiver inside or one of the generic gyro receivers and see how it does.

Again, thanks for producing this aircraft.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:16 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2013
15 Posts
Just ordered one of these the other day. All I have now isa flyzone sensei and it requires a large flying area. I am hoping the mini switch will require less area to fly in which will equal shorter drives for me. I know it will not be as easy to fly as the sensei, but I will keep it high wing for quite a few flights before lowering the wings. I ordered the txr version, so I still need to order a battery. I guess I will go with the 26 dollar one tower hobbies sells for the plane.

Dan
Dgrdan is offline Find More Posts by Dgrdan
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:15 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I just checked again and found something odd... It says it includes a battery, yet then it says it requires a battery to complete. Which one is correct? It's usually pretty safe to buy a couple extra batteries.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:55 AM
Joined Mar 2013
15 Posts
I noticed that too. The tech notes contradict themselves with regards to the inclusion of the battery. I assume that none comes with it, but if one does I will be pleasantly surprised. Won't know till Saturday as I am out of the country for a few more days.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:22 AM
Joined Mar 2013
15 Posts
Just got off the phone with tower hobbies and they said the txr version comes with no battery. I ordered one of the batteries they recommend and 3 extra props. If I order the props I will never need them... That's just the way it works
Old Mar 26, 2013, 07:48 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I would have ordered extra props too. My life is in a place where I'm going to have to wait, but I definitely wanted to let them know that I'm glad they made this smaller version.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 03:49 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,058 Posts
Just ordered one as well, larger version also flew well, low wing position has some speed. If your first low wing experience advise a seasoned flyer at the start. Also advise the high wing position at the start.
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:18 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,058 Posts
Village-Idiot
Use your charge card! hah!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:54 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Not that kind of problem or I would have ordered it because I have been hoping to find this concept in this size. Not going to have the place or time to enjoy it, and by the time I do have those things it would have gotten smashed or the batteries would be dead.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:50 PM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,058 Posts
Understand.

Maidened in high wing position today, did show some sporty speed, towards evening and no battery charge, brief flight but handling found solid, powered down at elevation and deadsticked beautifully all the way to the pavement, actually floated further than expected as was low on entry, easy touchdown nearing end of runway. Give it some room at the start, nice flyer.

All balanced out of the box, battery compartment has a pin latch seems to work rather well, carful on alignment sometimes takes minimal adjustment to fully latch correctly.

Flew with the supplied tactic receiver as have the Tactic 404 transmitter, throws worked fine.
Last edited by wnppmy; Mar 28, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:15 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Nice to hear it works as advertised in high wing mode.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:33 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,058 Posts
A brief early flight it does move out quickly, was easy to land deadstick but still cruised aways before touchdown. Find Sporty in high wing, have fun there for awhile!

RC Flyzones Mini Switch High Wing Position Shows Speed (1 min 28 sec)
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:35 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,058 Posts
Tho this one is docile except for some speed, is a tail dragger, punch of throttle will avoid any veer offs at take off.

Next flight aileron rolls easily, still has some speed just above a trainer model but decent handling. Made a closer landing but does take room at least at the start, will become tighter each flight.

As it slows with touches of flares is an easy lander as doesn't drop, beautiful to deadstick if your so inclined. It's a keeper.
Last edited by wnppmy; Mar 29, 2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:34 PM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,058 Posts
Oops slightly breezy dropped inches but front landing gear snapped off.

Very easy fix, weakness here, as with many similar models flown. Correct flare with no winds all would be well, might want to reinforce here.

Archer wins, most durable landing gear out of the box with much harder contact.

But this is a fun flyer, just be more careful please.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:12 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Sound like what you are saying is that if I can straighten things out, then I better order extra props and extra landing gear when I order/buy this plane. I expect many rough landings.

Thanks for the continuing review.