HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:22 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Question
Esc

Hi guys,i wonder if,like quad's or tri copters that use reflashed esc's,is need it to use reflashed esc with our vtol projects!?
Lead,Rcvertt,F@T and others,what esc's you use it for vtol?!
regards
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:08 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
860 Posts
What makes you think that quad or tri-copters use "reflashed" ESC's? As far as I have seen, they are standard ESC's the same as for airplanes. The only difference is that you don't want to use any sort of automatic endpoint calibration. One way or another, depending on the brand and make of the ESC, you need to set it in fixed endpoint mode. That doesn't require any sort of reflashing though. With the Castle Phoenix series it is a button click in the computer based setup application, or you can do it via TX stick programming as well. I belive the Turnigy and other similar ESC's effectively do the same thing with TX stick programming.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:23 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,106 Posts
No need to reflash the ESC. I use regular HobbyKing super simple 10 amp or better yet Mystery 12 amp.

Our VTOLs have more surface area so they respond slower. I don't think reflashed ESCs will help. The faster speed will probably only put more stress on the prop and motor.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:13 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Ok guys,
no flashing esc..
Cheers
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Yup, didint flash, I only use the mystery 12a ESC's.
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:06 AM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
If you are controlling any axis by differential motor control, you might want an ESC with a faster response.
ilektron is offline Find More Posts by ilektron
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:20 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilektron View Post
If you are controlling any axis by differential motor control, you might want an ESC with a faster response.
Yes,this it was the point,first of all.
But hey,if you guys,use it ,esc with stock firmware,then is ok....
Just a thot
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:32 AM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
You know, hobbyking sells multirotor ESCs for dirt cheap. I bought some but have yet to use them and form an opinion.
ilektron is offline Find More Posts by ilektron
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:32 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,106 Posts
The mystery ESC has the option of operating at 8 or 16 hrz. I use 16 as some have told me that it works better for multirotors. I mainly use them because I think they are built better than the SS 10amp and have a 2 amp BEC if you need to use it. SS BEC is only one amp I think.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!