HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2014, 11:46 AM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
978 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I am running a Bisson Pitts and thought about the low pressure at idle. I plugged one of the down tubes and it made no difference on the low end.

Pete, I was under the impression that the 1.5mm opening was the "idle" setting. Thank you for explaining. It does run good, just trying to fine tune it. I'm a gas noob, so this is my stepping stone to larger gas engines. Learning curve for me.

I will lean out the low end and keep running the idle a few clicks "open" if needed.

Thanks again.
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2014, 04:55 PM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
286 Posts
+1 on all the previous replies. It took me a while to figure out a nice idle, and it was quickly sorted with leaning the LS needle and opening up the HS needle a wee bit. Also +1 on all the prior comments on deadsticks -- I only had this with the HS a bit lean which was great for lovely smooth running on up and down lines, but since richening and getting some 4 stroking, NO more dead sticks.
unhinged is offline Find More Posts by unhinged
Old Sep 13, 2014, 09:58 PM
C.E.R.N. field tester
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2012
978 Posts
Just got back from the field. I leaned the low end and re-adjusted the high. Had 6 more flights. My JB weld is holding strong. I'll replace the muffler with another Pitts over the winter. For now, it works just fine. After the final tuning today, I was able to flip start it on the first or second flip after prime. This is the easiest I've had it as far as starting goes. I have one more fun fly to go to this year and the Revolver is coming with me.
supercollider is offline Find More Posts by supercollider
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:13 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
976 Posts
It's curious to me that the rated horse power of the Evolution engine is 1.68, which is the same claim as OS for the .55 cubic inch .55 AX. Pounds of thrust are also claimed to be the same as the nitro OS engine. Is this a typo, or did Evolution just copy the OS claims for the .55 AX?

If the Evolution engine is in the same power class as DLE engines, then it will produce (at sea level) about 6 lbs of thrust per 10cc of displacement, or under 6 lbs of thrust for the Evolution engine. At a bit of altitude, it will produce just under 5 lbs of thrust.

If it does produce 6 lbs of thrust, it is more an equivalent to a .41 nitro engine, not a .60 nitro 2-stroke.

As for displacement, the Evolution engine is stated to have 9.83 cc displacement, which does correspond to .5998 cubic inches. The math is right, here.

Nitro engines put out more power per unit of displacement than gas engines (sometimes 50% more), so I doubt that the claims of Evolution are correct. I think that experience will probably show that the Evolution gas engine will make a nice "4-stroke nitro" equivalent for .60 size nitro planes, but will only put out about as much power as a .41 nitro 2-stroke.

If you can fit the Evolution 10cc on a .40 sized plane, then you'll have a power match that 2-stroke nitro engine fliers would expect.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:15 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuest3141 View Post
It's curious to me that the rated horse power of the Evolution engine is 1.68, which is the same claim as OS for the .55 cubic inch .55 AX. Pounds of thrust are also claimed to be the same as the nitro OS engine. Is this a typo, or did Evolution just copy the OS claims for the .55 AX?

If the Evolution engine is in the same power class as DLE engines, then it will produce (at sea level) about 6 lbs of thrust per 10cc of displacement, or under 6 lbs of thrust for the Evolution engine. At a bit of altitude, it will produce just under 5 lbs of thrust.

If it does produce 6 lbs of thrust, it is more an equivalent to a .41 nitro engine, not a .60 nitro 2-stroke.

As for displacement, the Evolution engine is stated to have 9.83 cc displacement, which does correspond to .5998 cubic inches. The math is right, here.

Nitro engines put out more power per unit of displacement than gas engines (sometimes 50% more), so I doubt that the claims of Evolution are correct. I think that experience will probably show that the Evolution gas engine will make a nice "4-stroke nitro" equivalent for .60 size nitro planes, but will only put out about as much power as a .41 nitro 2-stroke.

If you can fit the Evolution 10cc on a .40 sized plane, then you'll have a power match that 2-stroke nitro engine fliers would expect.
I somewhat agree with your thoughts. Adding a dimension you didn't, the 10GX power band is different than glow and running a larger prop at slower rpms consumes less fuel. The 10GX is the most miserly fuel burner I've owned.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red