SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:18 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,278 Posts
Nice looking units-for a .......?
Speaking of winter,are you still doing one of these in a winter camo scheme?

Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:30 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,034 Posts
p-39?
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:37 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Nice looking units-for a .......?
Speaking of winter,are you still doing one of these in a winter camo scheme?

Stuart
Yeap, still doing the winter camo on mine, my buddy is doing a North Africa Desert camo on his. I'm holding off on finishing the detailing and painting on mine till it flies. That way if i put the Jet-fan 90's in it, i don't have to re-do the flite metal along the inlet lips..

I'll give it a few days on the gear before i tell ya what it is, but its Not a P-39
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:12 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,214 Posts
Do 335?
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:34 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,034 Posts
do335 is about the only thing with that much rake on the nose strut
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:51 PM
Los Angeles, Ca.
Joined Jun 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
do335 is about the only thing with that much rake on the nose strut
... And the forward facing scissor link on the nose strut.
Sperling234 is offline Find More Posts by Sperling234
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,209 Posts
I had to run some errands and do some stocking up on hardware at the LHS this morning, so i didn't get much done. I did get the right elevon servo mounted and its linkage hooked up, so both elevon's are complete now.

I also finished up the last of the two octopus harness'/extensions. The center section wiring harness consists of a pair of 12 pin ashlock connectors with four 30" long Heavy Duty servo extensions. Each connector is a different color (which match's the color of each female connector in the outer wing panels) to coordinate each servo with its Rx channel. There are also two Smart Fly Equalizer 2's that are plugged into Aux 1 and the 2nd into Aux2 channels, and then the outer flaps plug into one equalizer and the inner flaps into the other equalizer. This allows the outer flaps to be mixed to go up when the inner flaps go down AND the outer flaps to deflect up when up elevator is selected (helper elevators). The helper elevator function may not be 100% necessary, so i'm going to have it programmed so this function can be turned on and off by the flip of a switch. That way I can use them during takeoff on the maiden flight and then turn them off at altitude, this will tell me if they need to be used this way all the time or not (i'm assuming not, but you never know!)

Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperling234 View Post
... And the forward facing scissor link on the nose strut.
Well, you guys all got it. Its a DO-335. It'll be about 98-99" wingspan and based off the Don Smith plans. I'm planning to do the A-12 two seat version, but the fuselage will be molded as a single seat version with the two seater "hump" molded separately to give people the option of which version they want to do..

The gear is from Sierra and extremely $$$$, but it is some nice stuff! The 335 will be a Top Gun comp. model for me, so expect to see allot more detail than the horton.
Last edited by invertmast; Jan 19, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:22 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,510 Posts
The 335 is an awesome design but why not take a Horton to Top Gun? It's big enough and can definitely handle the lipo weight for a scale routine. Plus no one has ever flown a Horton in Top Gun or scale masters. Just a thought.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:29 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,209 Posts
Not enough documentation. If could do pro-al with the horton, except that their are no clear photos of the thing showing its color scheme nor any documents telling what its color scheme would be. I dont believe artists renditions would be allowed, but if they are or would be allowed in this case, then i would use the horton at topgun. I need to ask my buddy carlos (he competes at TG) what all he thinks.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:19 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,510 Posts
Yeah that is definitely an issue. However, when the air and space museum does ultimately restore it we will have all the photos and documentation
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:05 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,209 Posts
Very true, IF they restore it. Last i saw in the air and space museums blog about the horton they were researching into wether they were going to restore it or preserve it. The fact it wasnt completed when we obtained it would make restoration difficult.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:27 PM
Joined Jun 2007
230 Posts
As far as I know the Ho-IX was not painted at all when she was shipped to the US. Any color you will find at the Ho-IX today was painted later in the US.

Heiner
heiner is offline Find More Posts by heiner
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiner View Post
As far as I know the Ho-IX was not painted at all when she was shipped to the US. Any color you will find at the Ho-IX today was painted later in the US.

Heiner
And there is the problem with doing any scale competing with a Ho-IX...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Jun 2007
230 Posts
You have to present her in plain wood, because the Ho-IX was built of plywood. In some areas filled with glue or putty added with charcoal.

Heiner
heiner is offline Find More Posts by heiner