SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:54 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,638 Posts
Maiden Flight Complete!

Mickey maidened his Edge today. Here is a video compilation of some of the preflight and the actual flight itself. A couple of observations from my perspective (Mickey flew 2 packs, then insisted that I fly the 3rd)!
* This was the most floaty, lightest airplane I have ever flown, as far as control feel
* The plane took NO aileron trim. I don't own a plane that doesn't have some aileron or rudder trim; this airplane has only a touch of elevator...and that will get tweaked with the wing incidence shim Mickey created.
* I was concerned about power- this plane has plenty of power!
* I am very motivated to complete and fly my own.

More later on my thoughts....now for the video!

Stevens Aero Edge Maiden Flight (4 min 45 sec)
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jan 2010
118 Posts
Made in America!
dave102269 is offline Find More Posts by dave102269
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:45 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,638 Posts
The plane was amazing- I quipped to Mickey that this felt like flying a foamy. It was positive, but with small enough inertia that it didn't over-rotate, or continue in a direction if you wanted it to stop. It moved very deliberately, in a way which I found to be different than most other planes I've flown. It might be my flying style (admittedly, I like to fly slow- dragging a plane around by the prop)- but this felt very controllable at all times. I only flew it on low rates, and with NO expo. I loved it- a VERY neat experience.

Thanks again, Mickey- and Congrats!
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,310 Posts
Well that went pretty ok!. Both Mark and I were pretty excited. Nice flying airplane. We put four batteries through, progressively moving the CG back. I tried to adjust the wing but one of the screws was stuck so no joy. I drilled it out and retapped it for a new screw so that's ready to go. I also forgot to loosen the wing attachment screws before trying to adjust the incidence. But I think it's going to work just fine.
Will probably need several more flights to get everything all trimmed for knife edge and inverted. Stuff that's good is that it seems like the thrustline is spot on, great job to Bill and Scott on this one. No trim change from full throttle to throttle all the way off, it settles into landing stance by just pulling back on the power. The aileron trim was dead on, as was rudder. At the end of the day I still had a little up elevator, but that could be a minor covering induced warp in the elevator that I will take out before next time. With the wing adjuster working on both sides I'll get the knife edge dialed in as well.
This airplane is super light, low inertia and damps well on all the axes. It starts and stops very quickly. Great fun to fly. In later flights I did rolling loops and knife edge loops.
Today's flight was with an APC electric 11x5.5 making 309 watts static at full throttle. I may try a 12x5 if I can find one, since it has plenty of speed already, but I'd like try try a little more fan for hover work. All flights today with a 3s 2200. The speed control that finally made it was a Castle ICE light 50.
Mark was surprised flying it with no expo (forgot to tell him that I don't use expo ) because it's so easy on the controls.
Now we gotta get Mark's all done.
I hope everyone enjoys the maiden video. Thanks to Mark for being the cameraman.
I'll probably wait to trim until mark gets ready to trim his. The bottom scheme is very visible; but it probably doesn't show in the video due to back lighting.

This kinda is the end of the road for my portion of the build thread. If someone wants some more pictures of something specific or has questions, please post. Either way, thanks for following along.
-- mickey
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Nov 2004
3,310 Posts
A few details added, now that we have it broken in.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
So the battery hatch is on the bottom? Isn't that a nuisance to have to flip the plane after each flight to get to the battery?
It wasn't as much trouble as expected. The airplane is so light you can hold it by the battery hatch opening and plug the battery in with the same hand.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:42 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,373 Posts
APC makes a 13x4e. My experience is that it pulls about the same power as the APC 12x6e with more thrust and less top speed...

Keep us posted as you run it through all the usual stunts....Knife edge spins, knife edge, harrier etc...
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,310 Posts
Thanks. Will check into it as time permits, holidays approach.
Mark did knife edge spins on his flight, but no video.
We have video of the two other flights if anyone is interested. Please let us know so Mark can post it.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:58 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,638 Posts
Wings for the newbie!

Post- holidays...Mickey and I had an afternoon to get together. My fuselage is almost complete, and I wanted to start building the wings with Mickey's guidance....here is my progress.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:11 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,638 Posts
Front Fuselage

I got the sheeting done on the front of the fuselage tonight. Seams look pretty good, and I'll finish sand just a bit after the wood sits for a little while.

Mickey used the recommended Hacker; I can't resist getting a little more motor under the hood....so I went with a Motrolfly DM 2815-1100. It is 1/2 oz heavier and slightly higher kv, but rated at 480W vs. the Hacker at 360ish watts. That said- I saw that Mickey has plenty of power with the hacker, so mine might just be stupid-powerful on a 12x6 and 3S.

With an extra 19-20g in the nose, I will have to watch how I balance this. I believe my battery weight will work out just fine, however.
Last edited by Luv3d; Jan 21, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:52 AM
Joined Nov 2004
3,310 Posts
Looks good. Glad you are able to make progress at home.
Why did you have to show me that motor? How much is it by the way?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:34 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,638 Posts
$69.99. I will have to watch the balance closely though....
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:50 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,638 Posts
Motivational assembly. I'm on hold until some glue comes. This has gone extremely well so far. I'm very pleased.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:42 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,310 Posts
Cool!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:44 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,638 Posts
Got the wings glued up- just putting the strips across the ribs now. Here is a shot of the finished/rough-sanded fuselage.