SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:49 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Wow, what a soldering chore!! And you did it, cool!!!

#2 Stuart?!?! NICE!! Plus I think I saw you're re-building an AS3X Beast 3D!!! You're keeping busy but you'll have a nice fleet in your hangar!! I see the MiG 15 EDF next. You'll really like that plane!!!

I need to replace that plug on my champ, just haven't brought myself around to soldering it up yet, but I did order the plugs so I have a few on hand when needed.

yes, this is Corsair rebuild #2 The way the story goes is my nephew bought the corsair, couldn't fly it, crashed it, gave it to me, I bought a new airframe for it, rebuilt it, balanced it, it flew great but only lasted a couple of days before the dog got to it, so now here comes rebuild number 2 this time the dog stays in the house ....

the AS3X beast is the same story, Nephew bought it, couldn't fly it, crashed it, gave it to me, I bought a new airframe for it, but am flying it with the old airframe until I get used to it, have been flying it almost daily, getting it dialed in and it's flying great, there's just something about a bi-plane, I really like flying that one.

I also have the UMX T28 but haven't been flying it much at all, having way to much fun with the beast right now.

I'm kinda thinking that my nephew needs to buy the Carbon Cub or the umx Spitfire next so he can fly it, crash it, and give it me ...I got me the best nephew in the world ....thanks bro ...you done good with that kid

my Nephew = my micro airplane supplier.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:46 PM
Plane attacked by bird....
Joined Mar 2012
141 Posts
That is kind of funny. I too have rebuilt my corsair a while back, but I got the full sized parkzone spitfire mk ix and have been flying that more recently. I like to fly um corsair though in the backyard when I am lazy and don't wont to go to the flying field. Nice thing about the ultra micros is that they are just so darn cheap to fix. Has your nephew tried to fly a trainer at all? Hate to see a kid get disappointed.
Stunt Man 169 is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Man 169
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:47 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Stunt Man - SHHHhhhhhh. You're gonna ruin it for Linfoot! That nephew learns to fly, how the heck is he gonna keep stocking his hangar?
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:05 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Stunt Man - SHHHhhhhhh. You're gonna ruin it for Linfoot! That nephew learns to fly, how the heck is he gonna keep stocking his hangar?
LOL I had exactly the same thought as you. I was going to suggest he get an Ember 2 for his nephew to learn on, but that might derail the gravy train.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:13 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
I need a new Nephew
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
Prop hub, spare prop, and F-27 servo covers came in.

Result:

The blue isn't a great match, but its the closest I've found so far. It is ModelMasters RAF Azure Blue, which is used on the underbellies of desert Spitfires. The white is ModelMasters Insignia White.
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:48 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
I need a new Nephew
I have one, but he is two months old.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:50 PM
Plane attacked by bird....
Joined Mar 2012
141 Posts
It is a good thing that his nephew isn't reading this forum or he might just get the feeling he is being used. Seriously though. Teach him how to fly then you two could both enjoy the hobby. I don't need a nephew, I just need to win a lottery. I will probably run out of money though because of the never ending money hole. But hey it is all for fun.
Stunt Man 169 is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Man 169
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:51 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcp40 View Post

The blue isn't a great match, but its the closest I've found so far. It is ModelMasters RAF Azure Blue, which is used on the underbellies of desert Spitfires. The white is ModelMasters Insignia White.
that looks good, I might have to try that on mine.

speaking of nephews, I was thinking that it probably would help him out to read this thread, but then again, on the other hand, do you honestly think showing him this thread would be in my best interest? I got a good thing goin here, I don't want to ruin it ....maybe I'll show him the thread after he gives me the Carbon Cub that he hasn't crashed yet because he hasn't bought it yet.

I did teach him how to fly a number of yeas ago, his dad is the one that got me into RC back in the early 70's, now the whole dang clan does it, here's a picture:
Last edited by Stuart Linfoot; Jul 27, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Wow that mod looks nice, I think the color match is pretty good! I just recently bought one of these beauties and on my 7th flight the hub that holds the landing gear ripped right off! now im looking to glueing the hub back on on without wheels and belly landing.

Going to go with those Stryker covers as well. What kind of glues would you guys recommend for glueing it on?
alcowherd7 is offline Find More Posts by alcowherd7
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:51 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcowherd7 View Post
Wow that mod looks nice, I think the color match is pretty good! I just recently bought one of these beauties and on my 7th flight the hub that holds the landing gear ripped right off! now im looking to glueing the hub back on on without wheels and belly landing.

Going to go with those Stryker covers as well. What kind of glues would you guys recommend for glueing it on?
I used foam safe CA on mine
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Oh perfect, thanks.

I am very new to the RC plane community as this is my first Airborne RC, so it is greatly appreciated.
alcowherd7 is offline Find More Posts by alcowherd7
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcowherd7 View Post
Oh perfect, thanks.

I am very new to the RC plane community as this is my first Airborne RC, so it is greatly appreciated.
I use foam safe CA as well. I painted my covers with two coats, trimmed them to fit, and then glued on with a thin layer of CA. Be careful to check that the servos still move freely before gluing.

Have you flown any 3 or 4 channel RC planes before? I learned to fly on the old, crappy micro F4U and the P-51. Big mistake- I crashed many, many times before I really understood what I was supposed to do.
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Apr 2012
864 Posts
I think I might grab a couple of the carbon cub servo covers, should be easier to blend in than the stryker ones. the carbon cub servo covers are a light grey, same price. should look a lot cleaner than the covers I'm using now made from the micro servo packaging.
peterswolf is offline Find More Posts by peterswolf
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:19 AM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I made a little progress tonight, you can see it in the photos, the first picture is what the plane looked like after the dog ate it, and the rest of the pictures are the progress of the rebuild.

I managed to do a better job of getting that decal installed correctly this time on the top front of the cowl in front of the windshield.

just for the record, that decal is supposed to simulate duct tape.

During WWII those panels on the top of the cowl used to work loose and the screws would pop out, and replacement parts at the time were limited on the battle front so the quick easy fix was to cover the panels with duck tape to hold them down and that is exactly what that decal is supposed to represent.

the Corsair with the number 86 was not the plane that Major Boyington flew, #86 was the plane chosen by the army air core for his photo shoots, that's why you always see him with that plane.

the plane he preferred to fly into combat was the oldest plane in his fleet at the time, #883

because #86 was the newest plane in the fleet, and had not seen a lot of combat, it was a very clean intact aircraft, therefore the duct tape wasn't used to hold the panels on in front of the windshield, that's why it's not seen in any of the photos.