SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:30 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
Scott, yes!!!!! Andrew from Millswood was nice enough to send one to me...just a matter of time before that's added!
You are awesome!
Can't wait to try it out! Thanks
Bilox is offline Find More Posts by Bilox
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:25 AM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,018 Posts
Following this with great interest! This is one of the coolest projects I've ever come across!
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Scott, 1.2.21 and newer includes an untested Millswood selection. I'm generating the $E command to update servo position. You need to make sure you specify a "servo #" on the calibration tab as that's what I'm using for the Millswood protocol. If you can test it, that would be great!

Pilthyy, thanks! Things have been moving forward with break-neck speed the last few months. I need to settle down on the addition of new features and work out the bugs and get things as stable as possible. I've accomplished about 90% of the ideas I had when I started this project...and a few I didn't consider. It's actually time for a major re-write of the javascript behind the Google Earth API. I'm getting ready for multi-vehicle support in the near future.

I'm really glad you guys are interested in this project!!
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:48 AM
Joined Feb 2005
473 Posts
Paul, I'm not sure how I missed this thread, and just spent the last two hours catching up on your progress. I am extremely impressed with what you have accomplished in such a short amount of time! I have just d/l v1.2.22, and am learning my way around the menus. Back on post 3 you stated
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
...the Telemetry data would arrive via X-Bee (or via modem on the audio or video channel)
and I'm very interested in using the audio channel for telemetry. I haven't jumped on the X-Bee bandwagon yet, and the audio channel on my Vtx isn't being used. Is telemetry over audio still an option?

Again, nice work!
Billy
cass3825 is offline Find More Posts by cass3825
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:52 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Telemetry over audio requires modems on both ends. If you have the hardware, the program doesn't care how it gets there. The most tested method is in through a serial port. So if your modem on the ground connects to a COM port then no problem. If you've got some other method like TCP or UDP those are kind-of supported right now. They need a bunch more work.

So the easiest way to do it is over an X-Bee. It will cost between $100 and $150 to go to X-Bee's depending upon the range you want. If you already have the hardware for telemetry over audio, then the only requirement is your modem on the ground has to do serial on a COM, TCP or UDP.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:08 AM
Joined Feb 2005
473 Posts
I've been toying around with Melih's audio protocol, but it would need to be expanded to include IMU data for better GCS integration. This approach would eliminate the ground modem, and instead just decipher the EasyCAP audio. I would very much like to see this as an option down the road.

Again, nice work!

EDIT: I think I found a more elegant solution for my needs. The FrSky telemetry system looks like it will support 'piggybacking' a serial signal back to the Tx, and from there a simple 232 cable to the laptop!

Are you aware of anyone using this approach in lieu of X-Bee modules?
Last edited by cass3825; Jan 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:55 PM
Joined Feb 2005
473 Posts
Paul, would it be possible to reconfigure the <file> <settings> menu to allow for side by side windows for Map View and Live Camera, with gauges in a single row along the top or bottom of the screen?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 03:53 AM
arizona
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
Hi HK,

I have been following your progress with interest for a long time.
I had a stroke a while back and while rehab and determination have helped consideraby, unfortunatly I have not yet regained the tactile ability in my right hand needed to fly the way I would like.
After talking to Dean I am buying an ATTO this week and hope to begin flying using the Atto Assist mode soon. I was totally psyched to see your progress last week as you started working on joystick control for the Atto.
While I am not handicapped or disabled in any way I do struggle with motor skills on my right side, I really think between the Atto and your GCS I will be able to have a bird in the air on a regular basis and get back to a hobby I really enjoy.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks
Bill
billh117 is offline Find More Posts by billh117
Last edited by billh117; Jan 27, 2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:03 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
cass, that's on my future "To-Do" list. A guy named Fab actually started a GCS with that look and feel where the instruments were along the bottom as an overlay on the video stream. I've been thinking about giving the option to do the same... the trouble is the amount of time it takes to write the "resize" function that actually places and sized all the controls on the left... I'd have to do the same on the bottom. I just haven't had time. But thank you for reminding me. I'll make sure I add it to my list.

billh, that's amazing! It's fantastic that you're getting back in the air! Yes, Dean's Atto will help stabilize the plane. With my GCS you can specify the joystick layout you want (in your case I would select "Mode 3") . Here's an overview of what the different modes are: http://www.brunswickrc.com/faq.asp#70. I've never seen an actually Mode 3 radio for sale. We had a guy at our field that had limited use of his right hand. He had an interesting way to hold the radio and mostly used a Parkzone 3 channel radio with a slider style throttle. So he would usually have to take his hand off the stick to move the throttle which made for some dicey moments in the air. But he did seem to manage.

Let me know if there's anything I can do on the GCS to make things work better for you! Congrats on getting back up there!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 08:55 PM
ios
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cass3825 View Post
Paul, would it be possible to reconfigure the <file> <settings> menu to allow for side by side windows for Map View and Live Camera, with gauges in a single row along the top or bottom of the screen?

Hey Cass, are you using attopilot?

I'm writing an attopilot specific GCS which allows you to arrange things in various windows. Its not released yet, but if anyone is interested in beta testing it let me know via PM.
ios is offline Find More Posts by ios
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:26 PM
Joined Feb 2005
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ios View Post
Hey Cass, are you using attopilot?

I'm writing an attopilot specific GCS which allows you to arrange things in various windows. Its not released yet, but if anyone is interested in beta testing it let me know via PM.
I'm not using attopilot, but I really like the concept of individual windows that the user could resize/rearrange. Looks great!
Old Jan 28, 2011, 07:54 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,913 Posts
I am thinking of starting a UAV project this year, and this GCS looks great. I too would like a map and video window side by side.
Nice work!
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:11 AM
arizona
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
Happy how about Microsoft flight Yoke would that work ?

Bill
billh117 is offline Find More Posts by billh117
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:28 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
tclaridge, you can have them side by side...what's missing is being able to see the instruments at the same time.

billh, that I can't say. I think I've got 8 axis selections available. I'm assuming that everything from the Mircosoft Flight Yoke would translate into those selections. I've also got a bunch of buttons available....but I'm currently not doing anything with them.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 08:07 PM
Wrocław, Poland
Joined Jun 2007
696 Posts
3D model and MAVLINK issues.

Also in .29 compared to .28, the Reaper 3D model in google earth has vanished.
EasyStar is ok. Correction: the 3D model did rebuild somehow after a few runs of the GCS. It looks as the installation temporarily makes the planes invisible, but it heals by itself.

v1.2.29, the sound accompaniyng MAVLINK red alert box: 'warning, link lost for 3s' pops up at 3s and then 'danger link lost for 6s' are scheduled in orer, but the result is that the second phrase starts well after 6th second. Maybe change to: 'link weak' and 'link lost' so they will be pronounced faster.

Actual roll and pitch decoding from MAVLINK is opposite to what QGCS uses.
Of course you can invert it using the options, but then when you switch to ARDU protocol, it is inverted again.

When simulating with MAVLINK, I got message 'GLUONPILOT, singal lost' a few times, even if I never sent GLUONPILOT messages (it occured once every 3 min).

There are problems of contradictory yaw/heading/course meanings when usign MAVLINK, but this has to be clarified in QGCS as well so we have to wait.

There is a bug in decoding 64bit UNIX epoch time, if I send anything but 0, the decoding function crashes together with GCS.
kbosak is offline Find More Posts by kbosak
Last edited by kbosak; Jan 31, 2011 at 04:28 AM.