SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:33 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,113 Posts
I am glad that worked out for you. I replaced the Diaphram Spring & I had a guy that has been tuning engines for 30 Yrs in RC working on mine and it still died. His efforts did make a difference, but not worth the risk. My new OS has arrived and I am .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
When the DLE is inverted an dies, it maybe a tuning Issue, a cowling airflow issue , the diaphram spring being too weak, or the diaphram lever not set correctly.
Mine did the same thing an it was a tunning Issue.
I can now roll her over inverted at any throttle setting an never miss a lick
hertzrepkeith is online now Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,113 Posts
Guys, I received my OS motor today and I have already cut the cowl out for it. I know it says 44.5MM for Stand offs. The DLE ones that come with it make the motor Stick out about 1/2 Inch too far. On the DLE I used a Special Ordered throttle arm from Troy Built. Did you guys just use the one that comes with it?? Also can I use a 20x6 to break in motor or do I need to use the 18x8 that is recommended?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:30 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
Guys, I received my OS motor today and I have already cut the cowl out for it. I know it says 44.5MM for Stand offs. The DLE ones that come with it make the motor Stick out about 1/2 Inch too far. On the DLE I used a Special Ordered throttle arm from Troy Built. Did you guys just use the one that comes with it?? Also can I use a 20x6 to break in motor or do I need to use the 18x8 that is recommended?
As per my call, just let me know what you need and I'll make them for you.....

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:58 AM
President @ Acadian RC Club
Lafayette, Louisiana
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
Just ordered two ZTW-B's for one 50cc rimfire and one motrofly 4325.... after reading this thread around the 1785 post page.... Seams that the ZTW's work fine... I hope cause that would be a major score vs setting up my other 6 planes all on Castle... major savings!!! Heck I might have saved enough to by the New 3DHS Edge!!
jonathan7x70 is offline Find More Posts by jonathan7x70
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:49 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,113 Posts
OK Guys I have a question and concern. With my DLE 30CC I ran a Carbon Still Rod with Titanium ends. I was out at the field the other day and the guys told me that I do not want to run this with the OS Motor. That I should use a something else for my Throttle Rod. Is this true? Or is it ok to run with my OS Motor?? Also can I break in with 20x6 Prop or do I need to use 18x8 Prop. I hear people say to break in with what you plan on using. I know I have asked a few times and no responses so I am sorry to keep asking.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:13 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7x70 View Post
Just ordered two ZTW-B's for one 50cc rimfire and one motrofly 4325.... after reading this thread around the 1785 post page.... Seams that the ZTW's work fine... I hope cause that would be a major score vs setting up my other 6 planes all on Castle... major savings!!! Heck I might have saved enough to by the New 3DHS Edge!!
They work great!
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:22 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7x70 View Post
Ive heard nothing but praise for those ESC's.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:45 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,628 Posts
The ZTW ESCs are nice and work great... But the throttle response is not as smooth as the castles I have used. A idle up really helps out for a smooth throttle startup and running.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:06 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
follow the manual. Break it in with a 18x8. You dont want the load of a 20x6 on a fresh motor. I dont know about the throttle rod but making it as close to one piece as possible is the rule I follow.

Quote:
OK Guys I have a question and concern. With my DLE 30CC I ran a Carbon Still Rod with Titanium ends. I was out at the field the other day and the guys told me that I do not want to run this with the OS Motor. That I should use a something else for my Throttle Rod. Is this true? Or is it ok to run with my OS Motor?? Also can I break in with 20x6 Prop or do I need to use 18x8 Prop. I hear people say to break in with what you plan on using. I know I have asked a few times and no responses so I am sorry to keep asking.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:44 PM
President @ Acadian RC Club
Lafayette, Louisiana
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
Im glad to hear all the great talk about the ZTW ESC's.... anyone used it on a 50cc rimfire or equivalent?
jonathan7x70 is offline Find More Posts by jonathan7x70
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:03 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Quote:
What reason did they give for not using the carbon rod and titanium ends? If the ends have been properly epoxied into the carbon rod, I see no reason not to use it. If they can be used on the control surface of a plane which gets lot more force put on them, then I don't see a problem.

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:08 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
What reason did they give for not using the carbon rod and titanium ends? If the ends have been properly epoxied into the carbon rod, I see no reason not to use it. If they can be used on the control surface of a plane which gets lot more force put on them, then I don't see a problem.

SteveT.
Probably just the vibration from the motor. Ball links don't make
bigger holes the more you fly
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:14 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Yes, but as I have never seen a titanium clevis, I was assuming that he was using something like this with ball links...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:58 PM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
The ZTW ESCs are nice and work great... But the throttle response is not as smooth as the castles I have used. A idle up really helps out for a smooth throttle startup and running.
Have experienced the same on some, not all of the ztw's. Before you take off, just trim throttle up so the prop barely spins. I had a 110 amp where the endpoints drifted while flying, so you would go low throttle and the the prop stopped. Have a 60 and 120 that are fine, no issues. I do have a steeper throttle curve dialed in my futaba 8fg. The Castle ICE 100's I run are a little smoother and run cooler.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:25 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast View Post
Have experienced the same on some, not all of the ztw's. Before you take off, just trim throttle up so the prop barely spins. I had a 110 amp where the endpoints drifted while flying, so you would go low throttle and the the prop stopped. Have a 60 and 120 that are fine, no issues. I do have a steeper throttle curve dialed in my futaba 8fg. The Castle ICE 100's I run are a little smoother and run cooler.
It's probably not that the endpoints drifted, it's just that the battery voltage drops which affects the idle setting. If you had the motor constantly spinning before takeoff and then it's stopped when you land, if you wait for a little bit it will probably start spinning again as the voltage level rises. Castle's do the same thing.
joesmith285 is offline Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member